Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Where can I download Solaris 8 or any new Unix Software??? Post 14047 by Gavan on Monday 28th of January 2002 01:09:16 AM
Old 01-28-2002
Solaris

Well, you can't download Solaris 8 for an Intel system anymore, but if you have a Sun system based on a SPARC processor you can(I seriously doubt anyone on this whole forum personally owns a Sun machine).You can order a Solaris 8 Intel media pack via Sun.com but I don't think it will be worth your while seeing as Sun is no longer making Solaris for Intel systems. So i recomend using some other Unix based OS.

Lates

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

download copy of UNIX, SOLARIS, SCO, anything?

Hi All, I'm a UNIX Newbie, yes, I hate to say it. I'm decent enough though on LINUX box. But of course, it's not the same! Does anyone know where I can download a copy of the UNIX network operating system, that I can install on one of my boxes? I'd very much appreciate all suggestions. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JaredsNew
2 Replies

2. Solaris

unix/solaris data eraser software

Do anyone know of a data eraser software that I can use on my sun box running solaris that meets the D.O.D 5220.22-m standard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberbuzz
4 Replies

3. Solaris

how and where can i download sun solaris hpc mpirun software

how and where can i download sun solaris2.8 hpc mprun software?thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jingwp
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Where to download unix not unix flavours like ubuntu, redhat etc.

I checked unix.org but did not find any link where i can download basic unix flavour. any idea from where i can download unix. thanks in advance. - nilesh (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynilesh
14 Replies

5. Red Hat

Redhat - Software download

Hello, I am not a sysadmin. I wanted to install Redhat linux 64 bit on my PC in a new secondary hard disk. Could you please help me where can I download 64 bit Redhat Linux? I tried on the redhat download page and find out the below mentioned versions Red Hat Linux 7.1 i386 Red Hat Linux... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oradba_arun
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

Software assistant swa get does not download patches

Hi, I am having some issues setting up and using swa report and swa get. When I use "swa report -a SEC -a CRIT -x hp_id username -x hp_pw pword -x proxy=http://proxservername:8080" the report is generated, etc as expected. However when I execute "swa get -t /var/spool/sw/ -x... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seanm
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Download of Solaris 9/9

Hi All, Can somebody tell me, if Solaris -9 (Update 9) is available for download for Sparc ? If yes, please guide me. I need to upgrade my Solaris-9 update-7 to Solaris-9 update-9 for a specific requirement. On support.oracle.com, I can only see Solaris-10 and Solaris-11 under Download... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Looking for X.25 Download (Solaris 8)

Hello Forum Folks, I'm hoping to find a trustworthy download of a (Solstice?) X.25 package suitable for Solaris 8. I've been searching the Internet for many weeks (I am subscribed to "UNIX Packages", previously 'sunfreeware' and could not find anything). Would anyone know or have this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssid61
3 Replies
isalist(5)						Standards, Environments, and Macros						isalist(5)

NAME
isalist - the native instruction sets known to Solaris software DESCRIPTION
The possible instruction set names returned by isalist(1) and the SI_ISALIST command of sysinfo(2) are listed here. The list is ordered within an instruction set family in the sense that later names are generally faster then earlier names; note that this is in the reverse order than listed by isalist(1) and sysinfo(2). In the following list of values, numbered entries generally represent increasing performance; lettered entries are either mutually exclusive or cannot be ordered. This feature is obsolete and may be removed in a future version of Solaris. The lists below do not reflect all the extensions that have been made by modern processors. See getisax(2) for a better way to handle instruction set extensions. SPARC Platforms Where appropriate, correspondence with a given value of the -xarch option of Sun's C 4.0 compiler is indicated. Other compilers might have similar options. 1a. sparc Indicates the SPARC V8 instruction set, as defined in The SPARC Architecture Manual, Version 8, Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1992. Some instructions (such as integer multiply and divide, FSMULD, and all floating point operations on quad operands) can be emulated by the kernel on certain systems. 1b. sparcv7 Same as sparc. This corresponds to code produced with the -xarch=v7 option of Sun's C 4.0 compiler. 2. sparcv8-fsmuld Like sparc, except that integer multiply and divide must be executed in hardware. This corresponds to code pro- duced with the -xarch=v8a option of Sun's C 4.0 compiler. 3. sparcv8 Like sparcv8-fsmuld, except that FSMULD must also be executed in hardware. This corresponds to code produced with the -xarch=v8 option of Sun's C 4.0 compiler. 4. sparcv8plus Indicates the SPARC V8 instruction set plus those instructions in the SPARC V9 instruction set, as defined in The SPARC Architecture Manual, Version 9, Prentice-Hall, 1994, that can be used according to The V8+ Technical Specification. This corresponds to code produced with the -xarch=v8plus option of Sun's C 4.0 compiler. 5a. sparcv8plus+vis Like sparcv8plus, with the addition of those UltraSPARC I Visualization Instructions that can be used according to The V8+ Technical Specification. This corresponds to code produced with the -xarch=v8plusa option of Sun's C 4.0 compiler. 5b. sparcv8plus+fmuladd Like sparcv8plus, with the addition of the Fujitsu SPARC64 floating multiply-add and multiply-subtract instruc- tions. 6. sparcv9 Indicates the SPARC V9 instruction set, as defined in The SPARC Architecture Manual, Version 9, Prentice-Hall, 1994. 7a. sparcv9+vis Like sparcv9, with the addition of the UltraSPARC I Visualization Instructions. 7b. sparcv9+vis2 Like sparcv9, with the addition of the UltraSPARC III Visualization Instructions. 7c. sparcv9+fmuladd Like sparcv9, with the addition of the Fujitsu SPARC64 floating multiply-add and multiply-subtract instructions. x86 Platforms 1. i386 The Intel 80386 instruction set, as described in The i386 Microprocessor Programmer's Reference Manual. 2. i486 The Intel 80486 instruction set, as described in The i486 Microprocessor Programmer's Reference Manual. (This is effectively i386, plus the CMPXCHG, BSWAP, and XADD instructions.) 3. pentium The Intel Pentium instruction set, as described in The Pentium Processor User's Manual. (This is effectively i486, plus the CPU_ID instruction, and any features that the CPU_ID instruction indicates are present.) 4. pentium+mmx Like pentium, with the MMX instructions guaranteed present. 5. pentium_pro The Intel PentiumPro instruction set, as described in The PentiumPro Family Developer's Manual. (This is effectively pentium, with the CMOVcc, FCMOVcc, FCOMI, and RDPMC instructions guaranteed present.) 6. pentium_pro+mmx Like pentium_pro, with the MMX instructions guaranteed present. 7. amd64 The AMD Opteron instruction set, as described in the AMD64 Architecture Programmer's Manual. SEE ALSO
isalist(1), getisax(2), sysinfo(2) SunOS 5.11 20 Mar 2008 isalist(5)