Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Advice on UNIX/Linux
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Advice on UNIX/Linux Post 13993 by auswipe on Friday 25th of January 2002 10:52:09 PM
Old 01-25-2002
For multi-booting you can use LILO (with Linux), NT Loader (with NT) or a third party utility.

I have used SystemCommander in the past with great success.

Example:

A friend gave me a 2 gig SCSI drive with a 2940UW/W controller. I put it into my machine and booted. SystemCommander automatically recognized that the new drive had UnixWare and automatically setup a boot icon in the selection menu. I was quite happy with the results.

These days, I just use removable IDE trays on my machines. I can get them at the Saturday Sale in Dallas for $10 for tray and 5 1/2 inch bay. I just swap the HDs and reboot.

It also helps when somebody else brings over a HD that I need to retrieve data from. I put it into a tray and reboot and can access data.

Most excellent!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Learning Unix , Advice?

I am a long-time Windows NT, 2000 user at home and work. I want to learn Unix to broaden myself. What flavor do you recommend and how do you recommend practicing with it at home? how to get a copy of it to practice with? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robmaxfli
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Re-learning Unix - need some advice.

I learned Unix about 6 years ago, I think it was the System V version back then. My course taught me, Unix commands, shell scripting, Vi editor, and probably more stuff. I wanted to stick with Unix but life didn't allow me to, my college back then used Windows 95 and then my job as a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thoughts
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just started linux any advice??

well i just got into this and really dont know anything so if anyone has any reccomendations like books/sites/forums/or just general advice or if anyone wants to help me get started i would really appreciate it thank you very much (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Necrons
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Help & Advice

I originally sent this as a PM to Neo, but I was ignorant towards the rule of PMing someone with technical information. Below is a copy / paste of the questions I asked. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it tons. Thank you! :D The first OS I ever encountered was DOS and Windows 3.1. Ever since... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZeeSquared
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux System Administrator - Study Advice

Hello all, I really hope that this is the right Forum to post this kind of a question... I have been working in the IT support industry for nearly 3 years now. I started of providing end-user support. So enough to say that I provided my fair share of "have you tried turning it off and on"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kalignas
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Advice to become a unix guru?

Hello, I have recently completed my training for Solaris 10 and have a good understanding of the bases now. I am playing around with my system but can't do much since my knowledge is limited. I am looking for some projects or some threads where I can learn more and expand my knowledge step by... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: saudsos
16 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need advice for my career growth being solaris/linux admin

Hi All, I am having 5+ years total unix admin exp in india (5years solarisadminand 2+ years on linuxadmin).Please advice me which technology I need to learn for my career growth and salary growth. Is it good to go for EMC SAN storage or vmware for higher packages. Please advice me or I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolarisLinux123
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need advice for project UNIX to Linux migration

I am working on UNIX AIX to Linux migration. Does anybody know the good site for doing this? Thanks for contribution (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
4 Replies
MESG(1) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   MESG(1)

NAME
mesg - display (do not display) messages from other users SYNOPSIS
mesg [n|y] DESCRIPTION
The mesg utility is invoked by a users to control write access others have to the terminal device associated with the standard error out- put. If write access is allowed, then programs such as talk(1) and write(1) may display messages on the terminal. Traditionally, write access is allowed by default. However, as users become more conscious of various security risks, there is a trend to remove write access by default, at least for the primary login shell. To make sure your ttys are set the way you want them to be set, mesg should be executed in your login scripts. Options available: n Disallows messages. y Permits messages to be displayed. If no arguments are given, mesg displays the present message status to the standard error output. The mesg utility exits with one of the following values: 0 Messages are allowed. 1 Messages are not allowed. >1 An error has occurred. FILES
/dev/[pt]ty[pq]? SEE ALSO
biff(1), talk(1), write(1), wall(1), login(1), xterm(1) HISTORY
A mesg command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. AVAILABILITY
The mesg command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. Linux 1.2 10 March 1995 MESG(1)