Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Again Linux and Win2k dual boot Post 13990 by jonas27 on Friday 25th of January 2002 09:04:02 PM
Old 01-25-2002
Again Linux and Win2k dual boot

Hello, sorry to bug again....a friend of mine who works for a software company asked the network guy there .....I want to install Linux 7.2 on my windows 2000 box....Mr. Network said that I should have installed linux first then 2k.....does it really make a difference which operating system is installed first....I dont know alot about either one...but I want to learn....Please be gentle on me....

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DUAL BOOT redhat linux 7.3 - W2K

Hi, i know a little bit of Unix, but not a whole lot. I have a PC with W2K running on it. I want to install redhat Linux 7.3 as new OS in dual boot. do I need to install a boot manager like system commander or does the linux install detects other OS'es and create a dual boot 4 me (like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxthree
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XP/Linux dual boot

Does anyone have any idea how I can manage an XP/Linux dual boot (I want to use debian), I can't find anything about it on the internet! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XDC_Wolf
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

install linux from cd, for dual boot w/98

I am a new user w/Linux-Unix, i want to know were i have to start first, install linux first or win 98 first, i have a 30-gig harddrive on my home pc , do i have enough space to run linux and 98 w/dual booting (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: joe barone
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dual boot unix and win2k

(is there a better forum for this question?) Has anyone been successful at dual booting redhat linux 6.0 and win 2000 pro? I never had a problem dual booting linux with win98 and my first few tries with win2k were unsuccessful. I am going to try again but would like to get some other people's... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: edwardtisdale
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

windows -linux dual boot............

I am trying to implement a dual boot on my laptop ... using a small xp partition and fedora core 269.1-fc2 i686 linux kernel.. so far I have had to log off and reboot to enter the other partition... but this is getting frustrating.. windows is on /dev/hda1 and 1-5 is on the linux partition. I have... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
8 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris/Linux Dual Boot

From googling around, I have found that dual booting isn't so hard... if you are installing both for the first time. However, I couldn't find anything on if I can preserve my Solaris 10 partition that is already installed. Any words of advice? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GeekMasterFlash
1 Replies

7. Linux

Dual Boot Linux Recommendation

Hi there, Let me make things simple........I want to dual boot Vista 32 bit with some version of Linux / Unix OS. Please recommend........Open SuSE 11, Fedora 9, Ubuntu etc etc 32 bit or 64 bit?? My desktop is Sony Vaio VGC-LS1. Lap top Dell XPS 1710. Hoping to hear your... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run linux in windows 7 without dual boot?

tell me in steps if its virtual box (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahor1989
2 Replies
extlinux(1)						      General Commands Manual						       extlinux(1)

NAME
extlinux - install the SYSLINUX bootloader on a ext2/ext3 filesystem SYNOPSIS
extlinux [options] directory DESCRIPTION
EXTLINUX is a new syslinux derivative, which boots from a Linux ext2/ext3 filesystem. It works the same way as SYSLINUX, with a few slight modifications. It is intended to simplify first-time installation of Linux, and for creation of rescue and other special-purpose boot disks. The installer is designed to be run on a mounted directory. For example, if you have an ext2 or ext3 usb key mounted on /mnt, you can run the following command: extlinux --install /mnt OPTIONS
-H, --heads=# Force the number of heads. -i, --install Install over the current bootsector. -O, --clear-once Clear the boot-once command. -o, --once=command Execute a command once upon boot. -M, --menu-save=label Set the label to select as default on the next boot -r, --raid Fall back to the next device on boot failure. --reset-adv Reset auxiliary data. -S, --sectors=# Force the number of sectors per track. -U, --update Updates a previous EXTLINUX installation. -z, --zip Force zipdrive geometry (-H 64 -S 32). FILES
The extlinux configuration file needs to be named extlinux.conf and needs to be stored in the extlinux installation directory. For more information about the contents of extlinux.conf, see syslinux(1) manpage, section files. BUGS
I would appreciate hearing of any problems you have with SYSLINUX. I would also like to hear from you if you have successfully used SYS- LINUX, especially if you are using it for a distribution. If you are reporting problems, please include all possible information about your system and your BIOS; the vast majority of all problems reported turn out to be BIOS or hardware bugs, and I need as much information as possible in order to diagnose the problems. There is a mailing list for discussion among SYSLINUX users and for announcements of new and test versions. To join, send a message to majordomo@linux.kernel.org with the line: SEE ALSO
syslinux(1) SYSLINUX for ext2/ext3 filesystem 18 December 2007 extlinux(1)