Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Advice on UNIX/Linux
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Advice on UNIX/Linux Post 13950 by ober5861 on Friday 25th of January 2002 10:11:13 AM
Old 01-25-2002
LivinFree is exactly right.. the options are endless, but just about any brand of Linux you buy today will come with a boot loader (LILO/GRUB) which will be installed with the OS... It should recognize your other OSes on the other drives and do the work for you..

Personally, I don't know why you'd want two different brands of Unix (Linux=Unix as LivinFree stated) so I'd personally just stick with a version of windows and maybe Mandrake or Red Hat or even FreeBSD.

That's just my opinons.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Learning Unix , Advice?

I am a long-time Windows NT, 2000 user at home and work. I want to learn Unix to broaden myself. What flavor do you recommend and how do you recommend practicing with it at home? how to get a copy of it to practice with? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robmaxfli
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Re-learning Unix - need some advice.

I learned Unix about 6 years ago, I think it was the System V version back then. My course taught me, Unix commands, shell scripting, Vi editor, and probably more stuff. I wanted to stick with Unix but life didn't allow me to, my college back then used Windows 95 and then my job as a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thoughts
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just started linux any advice??

well i just got into this and really dont know anything so if anyone has any reccomendations like books/sites/forums/or just general advice or if anyone wants to help me get started i would really appreciate it thank you very much (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Necrons
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Help & Advice

I originally sent this as a PM to Neo, but I was ignorant towards the rule of PMing someone with technical information. Below is a copy / paste of the questions I asked. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it tons. Thank you! :D The first OS I ever encountered was DOS and Windows 3.1. Ever since... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZeeSquared
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux System Administrator - Study Advice

Hello all, I really hope that this is the right Forum to post this kind of a question... I have been working in the IT support industry for nearly 3 years now. I started of providing end-user support. So enough to say that I provided my fair share of "have you tried turning it off and on"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kalignas
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Advice to become a unix guru?

Hello, I have recently completed my training for Solaris 10 and have a good understanding of the bases now. I am playing around with my system but can't do much since my knowledge is limited. I am looking for some projects or some threads where I can learn more and expand my knowledge step by... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: saudsos
16 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need advice for my career growth being solaris/linux admin

Hi All, I am having 5+ years total unix admin exp in india (5years solarisadminand 2+ years on linuxadmin).Please advice me which technology I need to learn for my career growth and salary growth. Is it good to go for EMC SAN storage or vmware for higher packages. Please advice me or I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolarisLinux123
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need advice for project UNIX to Linux migration

I am working on UNIX AIX to Linux migration. Does anybody know the good site for doing this? Thanks for contribution (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
4 Replies
installgrub(1M) 														   installgrub(1M)

NAME
installgrub - install GRUB in a disk partition or a floppy SYNOPSIS
/sbin/installgrub [-fm] stage1 stage2 raw-device The installgrub command is an -only program. GRUB stands for GRand Unified Bootloader. installgrub installs GRUB stage 1 and stage 2 files on the boot area of a disk partition. If you specify the -m option, installgrub installs the stage 1 file on the master boot sector of the disk. The installgrub command accepts the following options: -f Suppresses interaction when overwriting the master boot sector. -m Installs GRUB stage1 on the master boot sector interactively. The installgrub command accepts the following operands: stage1 The name of the GRUB stage 1 file. stage2 The name of the GRUB stage 2 file. raw-device The name of the device onto which GRUB code is to be installed. It must be a character device that is readable and writable. For disk devices, specify the slice where the GRUB menu file is located. (For Solaris it is the root slice.) For a floppy disk, it is /dev/rdiskette. Example 1: Installing GRUB on a Hard Disk Slice The following command installs GRUB on a system where the root slice is c0d0s0: example# /sbin/installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0 Example 2: Installing GRUB on a Floppy The following command installs GRUB on a formatted floppy: example# mount -F pcfs /dev/diskette /mnt # mkdir -p /mnt/boot/grub # cp /boot/grub/* /mnt/boot/grub # umount /mnt # cd /boot/grub # /sbin/installgrub stage1 stage2 /dev/rdiskette /boot/grub Directory where GRUB files reside. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ boot(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), kernel(1M), attributes(5) Installing GRUB on the master boot sector (-m option) overrides any boot manager currently installed on the machine. The system will always boot the GRUB in the Solaris partition regardless of which fdisk partition is active. 24 May 2005 installgrub(1M)