Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Migration
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Migration Post 13936 by auswipe on Friday 25th of January 2002 09:08:29 AM
Old 01-25-2002
Quote:
Originally posted by refram
Would a simple Linux box on a workstation be the answer? Would somthing like that be able to provide access to the program in such a way that the users wouldn't hate it? There are only about 20 people in the office who are using this program.
I was so jazzed on the two years without a backup, I didn't quote the last part of the previous message and went off on a tangent. Smilie

LivinFree is correct. Do you have the source code or installation media? What is the current flavor of Unix that the system is currently running?

You can go to Fry's Electronics (if they exist near you) and purchase a Duron 950 MHz bare bones machine (motherboard, case, keyboard, speakers and mouse. Onboard video and audio) for roughly $120. Not exactly big bucks. Throw in your memory, CD and HD and you are on the run.

Two of my co-workers ran out and got these boxes two days ago and plan to make *BSD and Linux servers out of these new boxen.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

migration

hi, is there any tool that i can use to update my scripts (SH scripts) form Unix to linux. please mention any useful websites. thanx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omran
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Migration

Hi all, Would appreciate advise on my situation. Currently server A is in production. Server A takes in data from Server X, does some processing and send to server Y. We are going to develop a different system in server B, something like an enhanced version of A. Server A will be retired once... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Migration Docd

Hi, I need docs related to migration of Solaris8.0 to solaris10.0. steps to be taken care from developement side.. cheers shell scripts developer (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris migration

Hi , There is going to be a server migration from Solaris 8.0 to Solaris10.0. Could anyone give me some tips and documents regarding the steps to be remembered,tips to be followed etc. like syntax differences any new changes to the existing commands and tools we use whatever the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

code migration

Hi, I am working on migration project. thier are 50,000 scripts. As we are doing 70% of automization for changing the scripts. The remaining 30% doing manually. After doing manual changes i have to find the wheather the change is dont or not and also clode review process. Is there any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unihp1
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Migration of users

We are about to get a new server and I need to prepare for migration to the new one. This will be my first migration so I'm sure I will be learning alot. My current server is running CentOS 4.x and I want to move to a sever running Centos 5.x , thought it would make things easier. The old... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcraul
1 Replies

7. AIX

Server migration

Hi, Existing several p5 server with lpar (aix5.3), also implemented with hacmp. And now planning to buy new set of server (installing aix7.1)and SAN to replace the existing server. My question is, how to perform data migration from old server/SAN to new server/SAN. Suppose I install... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oceanlo2013
6 Replies

8. AIX

SAN Migration

Hi all, We are migrating our SAN storage from HSV360 to 3PAR. The system runs aix 6.1 version with HACMP. Please let me know what are requirements from OS side and how are the data copied to the new disks. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElizabethPJ
10 Replies

9. AIX

Lpar migration

We have a 2 node oracle rac cluster one node is in frame 1 and other is in frame 2 Now,because of some hardware failure(processor card and cable) in frame 1 we will failover database services from lpar in frame 1 to lpar(oracle rac cluster node2) in frame2 and the entire replacement of hardware... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_db
9 Replies

10. AIX

AIX - FC Switch migration, SAN Migration question!

I'm New to AIX / VIOS We're doing a FC switch cutover on an ibm device, connected via SAN. How do I tell if one path to my remote disk is lost? (aix lvm) How do I tell when my link is down on my HBA port? Appreciate your help, very much! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
4 Replies
FINGER(1)						      General Commands Manual							 FINGER(1)

NAME
finger - user information lookup program SYNOPSIS
finger [ options ] name ... DESCRIPTION
By default finger lists the login name, full name, terminal name and write status (as a `*' before the terminal name if write permission is denied), idle time, login time, and office location and phone number (if they are known) for each current UNIX user. (Idle time is minutes if it is a single integer, hours and minutes if a ':' is present, or days and hours if a 'd' is present.) A longer format also exists and is used by finger whenever a list of people's names is given. (Account names as well as first and last names of users are accepted.) This format is multi-line, and includes all the information described above as well as the user's home directory and login shell, any plan which the person has placed in the file .plan in their home directory, and the project on which they are working from the file .project also in the home directory. Finger may be used to lookup users on a remote machine. The format is to specify the user as ``user@host.'' If the user name is left off, the standard format listing is provided on the remote machine. Finger options include: -m Match arguments only on user name. -l Force long output format. -p Suppress printing of the .plan files -s Force short output format. FILES
/etc/utmp who file /etc/passwd for users names, offices, ... /usr/adm/lastlog last login times ~/.plan plans ~/.project projects SEE ALSO
chfn(1), w(1), who(1). AUTHOR
Earl T. Cohen BUGS
Only the first line of the .project file is printed. There is no way to pass arguments to the remote machine as finger uses an internet standard port. 4th Berkeley Distribution May 10, 1986 FINGER(1)