Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: change login dir
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers change login dir Post 13876 by Kelam_Magnus on Thursday 24th of January 2002 03:24:58 PM
Old 01-24-2002
If this is for the root user, here is something I discovered the other day.

root:/root> cd
root:/root> echo $HOME
/root
root:/root> HOME=/
root:/> echo $HOME
/
root:/> HOME=/root
root:/> cd
root:/root>
root:/root> HOME=/usr/local/bin
root:/usr/local/bin> HOME=/root
root:/usr/local/bin> cd
root:/root>

There is a variable called $HOME. You can modify it to be what ever you want. When you type "cd" <enter> that is where you will go. As in the example above.

You can make this permanent by putting in the bottom of your .profile. export HOME=/some/dir.

This works for any user, even root and application user IDs.

Smilie Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how I change dir in dos

Hi I have a dos batch file in window server where I call a cmd command for creating some db. this cmd commad is located in e:\data\abcd\xyz.cmd. Now I call this batch file from unix ssh.sh but my access point is D in window server here I want to change the dos prompt to e:\data\abcd. in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jamil Qadir
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to change login failure message, "login incorrect"

I want to change login failure message, "login incorrect" deny user login for user id tom sudo passwd -l tom type username and type password on login prompt and then it will display login failure message "login incorrect" console ############ login: tom password: login incorrect... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifegeek
2 Replies

3. Solaris

cant able to change permission in a DIR as root user

Hi my directory not accepting any commands. its simply telling permission denied. i tried ( cp, mv, rm ) as roor i want to set default permissons to this DIR please find the Logs below. dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 1 Jun 1 09:04 AP1_ROP ( original dir) root> chmod 777... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijayq8
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Change inherit-pkg-dir to writable

/lib in my sparse zone is running and its inherit-pkg-dir due ti which its readonly is it possible to make it writable if yes how ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
2 Replies

5. Solaris

How to change permission for opt dir in Solaris Zones?

Hi All While configuring zone I run add inherit-pkg-dir I thing this command will inherit opt,etc,lib... directories from global zone to non global zone with read permission................ So this makes problem for me I want to edit one file opt dir which is useful for my project but when I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaysachin
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Requesting help to automatically create home dir on login

I know we would not normally do this. However, I would like to have user's home directory created when they log in the first time. I have searched the forums and have not found any help yet. Scenario - environment uses NIS for auth and usually NFS mount HOME. However, I have a pilot environment... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 22blaze
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

could not able change permission of /home dir

Hi i am new to this admin area . i have created user with name as "ab" and gave home dir as /home/ab . when i tried to create the /home/ab dir , i got he following error. "mkdir: Failed to make directory "/home/ab"; Operation not applicable " Thanks in advance . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: expert
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate a change list of files/dir

Is there a tool that can diff a directory and generate a change list of files in that directory based on a previous snapshot on the directory? For example /etc/a.txt:changed /etc/b.txt:removed /etc/c.txt:added Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: overmindxp
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Change Dir doubt and some advice.

Hello, This is my first post in this forum. I need to change the owner of several directories and files in Solaris 10 Operating system, more than 500. The server is in production and my question is: If i change the owner of directories and files, the server can become unstable, i mean,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: checoturco
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

[Solved] Unable to change/create home dir for particular user

Hi all I wanted to change the home dir for a user, but when using smh : SMH->Accounts for Users and Groups->Local Users->Modify User ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- * Required... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
8 Replies
SHTOOL-MKSHADOW.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					    SHTOOL-MKSHADOW.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-mkshadow - GNU shtool create shadow tree using symlinks SYNOPSIS
shtool mkshadow [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-a|--all] src-dir dst-dir DESCRIPTION
This command creates a shadow tree of src-dir under dst-dir by recreating the directory hierarchy of src-dir under dst-dir and by creating the files of src-dir by linking them into the corresponding directories under dst-dir via symbolic links. When src-dir can be reached via relative paths from dst-dir, relative symbolic links are used, too. This high-level functionality is originally designed for developers to create copies of source trees. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -a, --all Really shadow all files and directories in src-dir. Default is to skip CVS related files and directories, backup files, object files, etc. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool mkshadow -v -a . /tmp/shadow HISTORY
The GNU shtool mkshadow command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later revised and taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), ln(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-MKSHADOW.TMP(1)