Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fork()ing hell!!
Top Forums Programming fork()ing hell!! Post 13719 by theultimatechuf on Tuesday 22nd of January 2002 07:07:02 PM
Old 01-22-2002
Network fork()ing hell!!

Hello I am having serious trouble with the fork command, i basically want to create 9 or 10 child processes and store their pid numbers in array while the children stay resident until i kill() them later , i cannot seem to control how many are made as they all seem to create their own children.

I have managed to stop crashing my system, can somebody help please, none of my books are any use.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rpm hell!

I've just installed redhat 6.2 on one of my systems and am trying to install the gcc c compiler after downloading an rpm from the redhat site. The damn thing gives me: only major numbers <= 3 are supported by this version of RPM what do I do, it does the same with the latest rpm of php ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: knmwt15000
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

hell and sqlite

Hi everyone, I have a requirement that requires me to fill an sqlite database with 100,000 entries (no duplicates). I will start out by giving the command that will insert the values necessary to populate the database: # sqlite /var/local/database/dblist "insert into list... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ogoy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

hell & mathematics

I've been able to generate output based on the code scarfake provided me (thanks again man). A little background so everyone more or less knows whats going on: I needed code that would propagate a database with 100,000 entries, for capacity testing purposes, something like a stress test. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ogoy
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confussed as hell

:eek: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kevinfine
1 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

The Hell of colaboration in UNIX and Linux

I don't want to speak about the goods or bads of both kinds of Operating systems, I only want to share a little experience with you to comment it. I live in Spain and I have home some old unix systems, some of them that I want to sell or change for other things, like a pair of Sun Blade 2000... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Golfonauta
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing and sed'ing chunks in bash... need help on speeding up a log parser.

I have a file that is 20 - 80+ MB in size that is a certain type of log file. It logs one of our processes and this process is multi-threaded. Therefore the log file is kind of a mess. Here's an example: The logfile looks like: "DATE TIME - THREAD ID - Details", and a new file is created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elinenbe
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

quoting hell - help needed!!

I am writing a bash script to automate the installation of web environment on a base install of Fedora. And I'm at the limit of my last nerve and my bash skills. My brain is screaming at me: "Give up and use perl", but I am trying to stick to bash since the script will modify the perl environment... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbe
6 Replies

8. Programming

Issue when fork()ing processes

Hi guys! I'll simplify my problem. I have the following code: #include <fcntl.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <signal.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/wait.h> #define max 25 #define buffdim 50 void p1(); void p2();... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pfpietro
2 Replies
XtManageChildren(3Xt)						     MIT X11R4						     XtManageChildren(3Xt)

Name
       XtManageChildren, XtManageChild, XtUnmanageChildren, XtUnmanageChild - manage and unmanage children

Syntax
       typedef Widget *WidgetList;

void XtManageChildren(children, num_children)
	  WidgetList children;
	  Cardinal num_children;

void XtManageChild(child)
	  Widget child;

void XtUnmanageChildren(children, num_children)
	  WidgetList children;
	  Cardinal num_children;

void XtUnmanageChild(child)
	  Widget child;

Arguments
       child	 Specifies the child.

children  Specifies a list of child widgets.

num_children
		 Specifies the number of children.

Description
       The function performs the following:

o    Issues an error if the children do not all have the same parent or if the parent is not a subclass of

o    Returns immediately if the common parent is being destroyed; otherwise, for each unique child on the list, ignores the child if it
	    already is managed or is being destroyed and marks it if not.

o    If the parent is realized and after all children have been marked, it makes some of the newly managed children viewable:

-	 Calls the change_managed routine of the widgets' parent.

-	 Calls on each previously unmanaged child that is unrealized.

-	 Maps each previously unmanaged child that has map_when_managed

Managing children is independent of the ordering of children and independent of creating and deleting children.	The layout routine of the
       parent should consider children whose managed field is and should ignore all other children.  Note that some composite widgets, especially
       fixed boxes, call from their insert_child procedure.

If the parent widget is realized, its change_managed procedure is called to notify it that its set of managed children has changed.  The
       parent can reposition and resize any of its children.  It moves each child as needed by calling which first updates the x and y fields and
       then calls if the widget is realized.

The function constructs a of length one and calls

The function performs the following:

o    Issues an error if the children do not all have the same parent or if the parent is not a subclass of

o    Returns immediately if the common parent is being destroyed; otherwise, for each unique child on the list, performs the following:

-	 Ignores the child if it already is unmanaged or is being destroyed and marks it if not.

-	 If the child is realized, it makes it nonvisible by unmapping it.

o    Calls the change_managed routine of the widgets' parent after all children have been marked if the parent is realized.

does not destroy the children widgets.  Removing widgets from a parent's managed set is often a temporary banishment, and, some time later,
       you may manage the children again.

The function constructs a widget list of length one and calls

See Also
       XtMapWidget(3Xt), XtRealizeWidget(3Xt)
       X Window System Toolkit: The Complete Programmer's Guide and Specification, Paul J. Asente and Ralph Swick
       X Window System: The Complete Reference, Second Edition, Robert W. Scheifler and James Gettys

XtManageChildren(3Xt)