Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vi editor - ex Command help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers vi editor - ex Command help Post 13543 by theDirtiest on Friday 18th of January 2002 03:20:54 PM
Old 01-18-2002
vi editor - ex Command help

:1,10 s/yes/no/g

this ex command will substitute yes with no everytime it is found within the first 10 lines of the file.

:s/yes/no/g

this ex command will substitute yes with no everytime it is found for the line where the cursor is on

my question is how could this substitution be performed on the whole file without knowing what the number of the last line is?

thanks

tD

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

editor command

I want to copy lines say from 2-5 to line after 20 in vi editor. Can I achieve this in a single command in vi editor. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tselvanin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vim as command line editor

Here is my problem, I manage a SunOs 5.8 Server, vi is the default command line editor, I have a line on each users .kshrc profile as follows: export EDITOR=/bin/vi I want to use vim as the command line editor, the below line doesn't work export EDITOR=/bin/vim Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tony3101
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search command on vi editor

Hi all, Here is an example, I would wan to search for all string consists of IMP but not IMP-00015. Values other than 00015 is fine, is there anyone knows how to do that? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: *Jess*
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting text in VI editor from a different editor

Hi, I knw its a silly question, but am a newbie to 'vi' editor. I'm forced to use this, hence kindly help me with this question. How can i paste a chunk 'copied from' a different editor(gedit) in 'vi editor'? As i see, p & P options does work only within 'vi'. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishmitty
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

set EDITOR=vi -> default editor not setting for cron tab

Hi All, I am running a script , working very fine on cmd prompt. The problem is that when I open do crontab -e even after setting editor to vi by set EDITOR=vi it does not open a vi editor , rather it do as below..... ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// $ set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Easy ex editor command

I've this command in a script which edits the file ... bash$ cat temp_file.txt THREAD #2 2 Running bash$ (echo "s/THREAD #2/d"; echo 'wq') | ex -s temp_file.txt bash$ cat temp_file.txt THREAD #2 2 Running If i've more than 1 line it easily deletes the line, but if it is the last line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash184u
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to quit from vi editor

Hi Folks I have opened a log file in Vi editor vi abc.logPlease advise me how to finally quit from Vi editor, which command is there..! Is it :q<Enter> (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KAREENA18
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert charactera in 1st position of specific lines using vi editor or sed command

Dear all, i am having text file like below surya rama ranga laxman rajesh reddy i want add string (OK) before a text from line 3 to 5 the result will be surya rama OK ranga OK laxman OK rajesh reddy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Accessing Isql command via VI editor

Hi Guru's, I'm new at Unix. I am tasked to monitor the filesystem utilization on OS level (Unix) and DB (Sybase) for multiple systems. I am thinking to use vi editor and make a file, execute that file and all the file systems I need to monitor will be be shown. My script inside vi goes in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xworks
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regular command creation for editor vi

Hi, I need help. I need to build command for line command editor vi. I want to take the whole string and assemble it in a regular expression. He then folded into another shape. Can anyone help me? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pabloss
4 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)