Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: largefile (>2gb) problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers largefile (>2gb) problem Post 13469 by roydv on Thursday 17th of January 2002 12:48:01 PM
Old 01-17-2002
largefile (>2gb) problem

i'm working on SCO unix 7 and i'm trying to be able to creat files greater than 2GB.

i've done the following and still haven't soved the problem:
1) fsadm -F vxfs -o largefiles [mountpoint]
2) ulimit -f, -d, -s, -c unlimited
3) scoadmin > system tuning > Defaults manager > vxfs defaults: stting maxsize to approx 12GB
4) scoadmin > system tuning > Process Limit Parameters: changed values of SFSZLIM and HFZSLIM to 0x7FFFFFFF

i still get the error "file size limit exceeded" when i try to cat two 2GB files to one 4GB file.

what the heel is the problem?????

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File size exceeding 2GB

I am working on HP-Unix. I have a 600 MB file in compressed form. During decompression, when file size reaches 2GB, decompression aborts. What should be done? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nadeem Mistry
3 Replies

2. Programming

C++ Problem, managing >2Gb file

My C++ program returns 'Disk Full' Message when I tried to manage a file larger than 2Gb. the process is very simple: based on a TXT file, the process combine the information generating another temporary file (generating the error) to fillup a database. My FS, during the process, reaches 40%...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASOliveira
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cpio - files > 2gb

Hi, Currently a backup script copies compressed files to tape using cpio command (on AIX 5.2). Recently we've had a compressed file which has gone over 2 GB in size resulting in an error while copying this file onto the tape using cpio. Any suggestions on relevant workarounds would be much... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

tar 2GB limit

Any idea how to get around this limit? I have a 42GB database backup file (.dmp) taking up disk space because neither tar nor cpio are able to put it onto a tape. I am on a SUN Solaris using SunOS 5.8. I would appreciate whatever help can be provided. Thanks! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SLKRR
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem creating files greater than 2GB

With the C code I am able to create files greater than 2GB if I use the 64 bit compile option -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64. There I am using the function fprintf to write into the file. But when I use C++ and ofstream the file is getting truncated when the size grows beyond 2GB. Is there any special... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobbyjohnz
1 Replies

6. AIX

Creating > 2GB file

I am trying to execute a database dump to a file, but can't seem to get around the 2GB file size. I have tried setting the user limit to -1, but no luck. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: markper
4 Replies

7. Linux

Compress files >2GB

Hi folks, I'm trying to compress a certain number of files from a cifs mount to a xfs mount, but cannot do it when the total size of the files is bigger than 2GB. Is there any limitation for above 2GB? OS is SLES 64bit The files are maximum 1MB, so there are aprox. 2000 files to compress... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xavix
2 Replies

8. Linux

unzipping file > 2gb

I am not able to unzip file greater then 2gb, Any suggestions how to do that in linux? Regards, Manoj (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a file more than 2GB

Hi, I am executing a SQL query and the output is more than 2GB. Hence the process is failing. How can I have a file created more than 2GB ? Thanks, Risshanth (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: risshanth
1 Replies

10. AIX

Tar files larger than 2GB

Hi, Does anyone know if it is possible to tar files larger than 2GB? The reason being is they want me to dump a single file (which is around 20GB) to a tape drive and they will restore it on a Solaris box. I know the tar have a limitation of 2GB so I am thinking of a way how to overcome this.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: depam
11 Replies
creat(2)							   System Calls 							  creat(2)

NAME
creat - create a new file or rewrite an existing one SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/stat.h> #include <fcntl.h> int creat(const char *path, mode_t mode); DESCRIPTION
The function call creat(path, mode) is equivalent to: open(path, O_WRONLY | O_CREAT | O_TRUNC, mode) RETURN VALUES
Refer to open(2). ERRORS
Refer to open(2). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Creating a File The following example creates the file /tmp/file with read and write permissions for the file owner and read permission for group and oth- ers. The resulting file descriptor is assigned to the fd variable. #include <fcntl.h> ... int fd; mode_t mode = S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR | S_IRGRP | S_IROTH; char *filename = "/tmp/file"; ... fd = creat(filename, mode); ... USAGE
The creat() function has a transitional interface for 64-bit file offsets. See lf64(5). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
open(2), attributes(5), largefile(5), lf64(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 25 Mar 2002 creat(2)