Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Telnet into Solaris 8
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Telnet into Solaris 8 Post 1338 by PxT on Monday 26th of February 2001 05:50:46 PM
Old 02-26-2001
If you are using TCP wrappers to deny the connection, look at /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny. Check out the man page for either of those for more info. If thats not the case, talk to your network admin. Your router or firewall could be blocking connections.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Telnet into Solaris 8 box

I am new to Unix. What file do I need to edit so that I can telnet to Solaris 8. I recieve this message everytime I try to telnet. It allows me to LOGIN but kicks me out with this same message. SunOS 5.8 login: root Password: Not on system console (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie05
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

solaris telnet idle timeout

I have put TMOUT=1800;export TMOUT in the /etc/profile, put it does not work, by the way the root default shell is sh. but I wana every one including root to terminate the session after setting idle for 1800 seconds. thank for the help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kahn630
1 Replies

3. Solaris

disable telnet on Solaris

All - would you please some one help me to disable telnet on Solaris? /etc/inetd.conf Thanks :confused: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: March_2007
11 Replies

4. Solaris

HP-UX telnet to Solaris

Hi, i have a strange problem. i have a HP-UX which is used to telnet to two solaris machine via port 11000. On the solaris machines, there's an application that sends a series of ascii character separated by LF over to the the HP-UX. The problem is that when the HP-UX connects to solaris A,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xenomage
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with telnet using putty on solaris 10 x86

Hi ... I am totally new to unix ... I just installed solaris 10 and internet is working. Everytime I try to telnet from my windows xp using Putty to solaris as root user, putty opens the command prompt window and close right away. I also tried with ssh using Putty and I got a message "Using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: glieu
2 Replies

6. Solaris

issue regarding telnet on solaris(9 version)

hi this is hrushi i have issue regarding solaris(9 version) when i telnet from solaris to linux machine it displaying message like connection closed by forine host ...when i telnet from linux to solaris its working fine ...help me its urgent and i'm new to solaris 9 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghrushi84
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to login using ssh,telnet onto my solaris machine with solaris 10 installed

Hi, I am unable to login into my terminal hosting Solaris 10 and get the below error message "Server refused to allocate pty ld.so.1: sh: fatal: libc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory " Is there anyways i can get into my machine and what kind of changes are required to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Telnet solaris error

Hi all, I want to telnet/ssh my solaris 10 which was installed in VMware and my host OS is windows 7. I have set the ip address properly in /etc/hosts, /etc/netmasks, /etc/defaultrouter. But when i try to connect it through putty ti shows network connection error. any help is appreciated ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kathirvel G
11 Replies

9. Solaris

Not able to install telnet on Solaris 11

Hi Solaris 11 Guru, I am not able to install telent on Solaris 11 with the following error as root: uname -a SunOS servername 5.11 11.2 i86pc i386 i86pc pkg install /service/network/telnet pkg: 0/1 catalogs successfully updated: Unable to contact valid package repository Encountered... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjackson123
3 Replies
TCPDMATCH(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      TCPDMATCH(8)

NAME
tcpdmatch - tcp wrapper oracle SYNOPSIS
tcpdmatch [-d] [-i inet_conf] daemon client tcpdmatch [-d] [-i inet_conf] daemon[@server] [user@]client DESCRIPTION
tcpdmatch predicts how the tcp wrapper would handle a specific request for service. Examples are given below. The program examines the tcpd access control tables (default /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny) and prints its conclusion. For maximal accuracy, it extracts additional information from your inetd network configuration file. When tcpdmatch finds a match in the access control tables, it identifies the matched rule. In addition, it displays the optional shell com- mands or options in a pretty-printed format; this makes it easier for you to spot any discrepancies between what you want and what the pro- gram understands. ARGUMENTS
The following two arguments are always required: daemon A daemon process name. Typically, the last component of a daemon executable pathname. client A host name or network address, or one of the `unknown' or `paranoid' wildcard patterns. When a client host name is specified, tcpdmatch gives a prediction for each address listed for that client. When a client address is specified, tcpdmatch predicts what tcpd would do when client name lookup fails. Optional information specified with the daemon@server form: server A host name or network address, or one of the `unknown' or `paranoid' wildcard patterns. The default server name is `unknown'. Optional information specified with the user@client form: user A client user identifier. Typically, a login name or a numeric userid. The default user name is `unknown'. OPTIONS
-d Examine hosts.allow and hosts.deny files in the current directory instead of the default ones. -i inet_conf Specify this option when tcpdmatch is unable to find your inetd.conf network configuration file, or when you suspect that the pro- gram uses the wrong one. EXAMPLES
To predict how tcpd would handle a telnet request from the local system: tcpdmatch in.telnetd localhost The same request, pretending that hostname lookup failed: tcpdmatch in.telnetd 127.0.0.1 To predict what tcpd would do when the client name does not match the client address: tcpdmatch in.telnetd paranoid On some systems, daemon names have no `in.' prefix, or tcpdmatch may need some help to locate the inetd configuration file. FILES
The default locations of the tcpd access control tables are: /etc/hosts.allow /etc/hosts.deny SEE ALSO
tcpdchk(8), tcpd configuration checker hosts_access(5), format of the tcpd access control tables. hosts_options(5), format of the language extensions. inetd.conf(5), format of the inetd control file. AUTHORS
Wietse Venema (wietse@wzv.win.tue.nl), Department of Mathematics and Computing Science, Eindhoven University of Technology Den Dolech 2, P.O. Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands TCPDMATCH(8)