Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers long listing of files up to a given date Post 133 by rlh on Friday 27th of October 2000 09:43:22 AM
Old 10-27-2000
That just what I needed. Thanks
rlh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

listing files that do not belong to current date

How do we list all the file names in a directory that does not belong to current date. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: esh.mohan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing files that does not belong to current date

How do we list all the file names in a directory that does not belong to current date. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: esh.mohan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep/matching help with long listing of directories

How do I get this to work? cat somefile | grep "-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 287 Sep 10 15:12 shells~" This is the the desired output -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 287 Sep 10 15:12 shells~ I basically want an exact match of the line I am grepping for, the special characters and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfighter2
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Long listing of files using find command on remote server via SSH

Hi , I am trying to find some files on a remote machine using the find command. >ssh -q atukuri@remotehostname find /home/atukuri/ -name abc.txt /home/atukuri/abc.txt The above command works fine and lists the file, but if I want to do a long listing of files (ls -l) its not working . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atukuri
2 Replies

5. Solaris

calculate sum size of files by date (arg list too long)

Hi, I wanted a script to find sum of files for a particular date, below is my script ls -lrt *.req | nawk '$6 == "Aug"' | nawk '$7 == "1"'| awk '{sum = sum + $5} END {print sum}' However, i get the error below /usr/bin/ls: arg list too long How do i fix that. Many thanks before. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script regarding listing long group names

Hello, When listing the file systems (using ls -ltr) , if the group names are longer the group name is getting truncated. Can someone help with the script which would display the truncated group name? I appreciate if someone could help in this regard. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mike12
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Listing the long groupnames

Hello, When listing the file systems (using ls -ltr) , if the group names are longer the group name is getting truncated. Can someone help with the script which would display the truncated group name? I appreciate if someone could help in this regard. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script for long listing of groupnames

Hello, When listing the file systems (using ls -ltr) , if the group names are longer the group name is getting truncated. Can someone help with the script which would display the truncated group name? I appreciate if someone could help in this regard. (3 Replies)
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing files that belong to a certain year date?

I'm trying to list files, first by size and I'm using something like this ls -l|awk '{print $5,$6,$7,$8,$9|"sort -nr"}'|more Now I'd like to just do the same listing but only for files with the year 2009 in the $8 field or even anything less than 2011. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Listing a file/directory with 7 letters long

I know that I can use wild cards:ls ???????to list files 7 characters long, but how do i omit the .?! and spaces? Please use CODE tags when displaying sample input, sample output, and code segments. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiya54
2 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [OPTIONS] [--] command DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c, --console=VTNUMBER Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work; -f, --force Force opening a VT without checking whether it is already in use; -e, --exec Directly execute the given command, without forking. This option is meant for use in /etc/inittab; -s, --switch Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT; -u, --user Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l; -l, --login Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed; -v, --verbose Be a bit more verbose; -w, --wait wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes; -V, --version print program version and exit; -h, --help show this text and exit. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a getopt_long() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)