Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking internet speed thru gateway/server Post 13235 by PxT on Monday 14th of January 2002 12:14:49 PM
Old 01-14-2002
With a system like that acting as a gateway the bottle-neck will most likely be at the network pipe. In other words, the gateway itself should not impose any noticeable slowdown.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Using Windows XP as my internet gateway

I have many question regarding many things in Unix. here is another. I have a Novell 5 server Windows 2000 advanced server running active directory Windows 2000 professional server running exchange 2000 Windows XP professional providing my internet gateway through 56K dial up modem (sad I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: electrode101
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Internet access via gateway

Internet access via gateway env: RedHat 6.1 Hi, Until now, we used PPP via an ISDN modem to connect our server to the internet. The ISDN ip-up/down scripts in /etc/ppp add ippp0 as the default route. From that point on we can for instance get mail via fetchmail. Now we have a ADSL... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: progressdll
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

Firewall with sslvpn with Internet gateway

hi, i have this diagram internet | | -------------- |firewall/sslvpn | -------------- | | 192.168.0.0/24 | -------------------------- ---- ------------- | internet gateway win2003|----|10.1.2.0/24 |... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

Set new gateway for route to internet

Hi all, i have a rhel 6.2 with a default gateway. This server is an Intranet office with no internet access. DNS are already configured and it's possible to resolve my target. My goal is to link my application (apache forward) only to http://mytarget.yyy through a new gateway (That does... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamose
0 Replies
netgroup(5)						      Linux Reference Manual						       netgroup(5)

NAME
netgroup - specify network groups DESCRIPTION
The netgroup file defines "netgroups", which are sets of (host, user, domain) tuples, used for permission checking when doing remote mounts, remote logins and remote shells. Each line in the file consists of a netgroup name followed by a by a list of members, where a member is either another netgroup name, or a triple: (host, user, domain) where the host, user, and domain are character strings for the corresponding components. Any of the three fields can be empty, in which case it specifies a "wildcard", or may consist of the string "-" to specify "no valid value". The domain field must either be the local domain name or empty for the netgroup entry to be used. This field does not limit the netgroup or provide security. The domain field refers to the domain in which the triple is valid, not the domain containing the the trusted host. A gateway machine should be listed under all possible hostnames by which it may be recognized: gateway (server,,) (server-sn,,) (server-bb,,) The getnetgrent functions should normally be used to access the netgroup database. FILES
/etc/netgroup SEE ALSO
getnetgrent(3), exports(5), makedbm(8), ypserv(8) WARNINGS
The triple (,,domain) allows all users and machines trusted access, and has the same effect as the triple (,,). Use the host and user fields of the triple to restrict the access correctly to a specific set of members. BUGS
The Linux libc5 does not query the /etc/netgroup file directly, it only querys the NIS server for the groups. So the netgroup database must be stored in the form of a hashed dbm database just like the passwd(5) and group(5) databases. This manpage mentions getnetgrent(3), but it seems that manpage hasn't been written yet. Since getnetgrent() is part of GNU libc it might also be that it is documented in info format. AUTHOR
Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> NIS
May 1999 netgroup(5)