Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: to log a installation
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting to log a installation Post 13210 by barun007 on Monday 14th of January 2002 07:04:42 AM
Old 01-14-2002
Data to log a installation

hi

i am using borne shell script to install.
In the script i get from the user some input and then to do pkgadd and some sqlplus commands.

I want to capture all the information to the logfile.

if i use , tee command i dont get the user entered input.

can u let me know ,how to capture both the input and output to a log file.

thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Installation ?????

I m trying to Install Oracle 8i on Sun Solaris 8.....I have read the installation manuals....everything was ok, but what confused me was directories ORACLE_BASE, ORACLE_HOME, u1, u2, u3 ????????????????? Can anybody pls. tell me how many directories should i create, subdirectories and in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ocpguy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Installation

Hai Friends How can i instal only the linux kernel in a system. Thanks in advance Collins (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: collins
3 Replies

3. Solaris

installation of Solaris: installation bypasses network config.

hello solaris friends, I've tried installing Sun Solaris 10.0, but everytime it seems to bypass the network config. screen that looks similar to this...here's the url: http://www.hup.hu/old/images/hup/Solaris/Sol10beta7/9.png I'm able to install it all the way through but I get no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cadmiumgreen
2 Replies

4. Linux

OS Installation

Hello, Can anyone suggest me the source for getting the Linux OS, I have done a partitions in my system and dedicated one partition for Linux with the windows. Please suggest me the websites where I can get the s/w. Thankx S (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
1 Replies

5. Ubuntu

installation

Hi, Could you please provide me the url's for linux software on x86 platform means on pentiunm processes and installtion documentation? Regards, Rajesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmrajesh21
2 Replies

6. SuSE

How to log Installation-Activity ??

Hi @ All, short question: i want to log my cpan Installation in a text-File. My first try was cpan -i module | tee /home/install.txt but this donīt logs my inputs, eg. what i typed in when cpan asks where are my progs or which mirror i want. Can somebody help me with this? Regards, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jackcracker
1 Replies

7. AIX

Installation

am new to aix ...am gng to install aix 6.1 in new box.... can you tell after installation how can i say tht my installation is success..... and whr do installation related log will be saved... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: udtyuvaraj
2 Replies

8. Solaris

How to tail an installation log?

Hi Guys, when installing an application, I believe there is a log file which is create to log the progress of the installation. What I will like to know is, how do you tail the start log file to see the installation as it is progressing. I will really appreciate your help. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjashu
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 flash installation - fatal error. Solaris installation program exited.

Not very helpful to say the least. Seems to read the flar file and go through the upgrade and then come up with this error. Any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
1 Replies
LOGSAVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							LOGSAVE(8)

NAME
logsave - save the output of a command in a logfile SYNOPSIS
logsave [ -asv ] logfile cmd_prog [ ... ] DESCRIPTION
The logsave program will execute cmd_prog with the specified argument(s), and save a copy of its output to logfile. If the containing directory for logfile does not exist, logsave will accumulate the output in memory until it can be written out. A copy of the output will also be written to standard output. If cmd_prog is a single hyphen ('-'), then instead of executing a program, logsave will take its input from standard input and save it in logfile logsave is useful for saving the output of initial boot scripts until the /var partition is mounted, so the output can be written to /var/log. OPTIONS
-a This option will cause the output to be appended to logfile, instead of replacing its current contents. -s This option will cause logsave to skip writing to the log file text which is bracketed with a control-A (ASCII 001 or Start of Header) and control-B (ASCII 002 or Start of Text). This allows progress bar information to be visible to the user on the console, while not being written to the log file. -v This option will make logsave to be more verbose in its output to the user. AUTHOR
Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu) SEE ALSO
fsck(8) E2fsprogs version 1.41.14 December 2010 LOGSAVE(8)