Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: find
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers find Post 13044 by Cameron on Thursday 10th of January 2002 11:18:52 AM
Old 01-10-2002
Spot on Jimbo.
I didn't spot the lack of space in my initial posting.
Thanks for that Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command find returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long

Hello, I create a file touch 1201093003 fichcomp and inside a repertory (which hava a lot of files) I want to list all files created before this file : find *.* \! -maxdepth 1 - newer fichcomp but this command returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long but i make a filter all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yacsil
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little bit weired : Find files in UNIX w/o using find or where command

Yes , I have to find a file in unix without using any find or where commands.Any pointers for the same would be very helpful as i am beginner in shell scritping and need a solution for the same. Thanks in advance. Regards Jatin Jain (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatin.jain
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a file named vijay in a directory using find command

I need to find whether there is a file named vijay is there or not in folder named "opt" .I tried "ls *|grep vijay" but it showed permission problem. so i need to use find command (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
6 Replies

4. Linux

Simplified find command to find multiple file types

Hi, I'm using the following command to find the multiple requierd file types and its working fine find . -name "*.pl" -o -name "*.pm" -o -name "*.sql" -o -name "*.so" -o -name "*.sh" -o -name "*.java" -o -name "*.class" -o -name "*.jar" -o -name "*.gz" -o -name "*.Z" -type f Though... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickramshetty
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find, regular expression, anyway to simplify this find command?

Hello everyone, first post here, trying to learn scripting on my own and this forum as been really helpful so far. I made few little scripts working great but I m facing some problems with RE. I have a bunch of files in many subdirectories called *001.ext *002.ext OR simple *.ext or *01.ext... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekullos
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep & find command to find references to a particular file

Hi all , I'm new to unix I have a checked project , there exists a file called xxx.config . now my task is to find all the files in the checked out project which references to this xxx.config file. how do i use grep or find command . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangam
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: missing argument to `-exec' while redirecting using find in perl

Hi Friends, Please help me to sort out this problem, I am running this in centos o/s and whenever I run this script I am getting "find: missing argument to `-exec' " but when I run the same code in the command line I didn't find any problem. I am using perl script to run this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumarselvam
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a file with a specific pattern for current sysdate & upon find email the details?

I need assistance with following requirement, I am new to Unix. I want to do the following task but stuck with file creation date(sysdate) Following is the requirement I need to create a script that will read the abc/xyz/klm folder and look for *.err files for that day’s date and then send an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PreetArul
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string1, when true find string2 in reverse direction

Hello, This is a bit complicated for me. My scenario in MyFile: Search string1, When string1 is found, grep the line containing string1, go back over that line in upward direction and grep the first line containing string2. Here is an example: MyFile His email address... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
17 Replies
fileutil(n)							  file utilities						       fileutil(n)

NAME
fileutil - Procedures implementing some file utilities SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8 package require fileutil ?1.4? ::fileutil::cat filename ::fileutil::fileType filename ::fileutil::find ?basedir ?filtercmd?? ::fileutil::findByPattern basedir ?-regexp|-glob? ?--? patterns ::fileutil::foreachLine var filename cmd ::fileutil::grep pattern ?files? ::fileutil::stripN path n ::fileutil::stripPwd path ::fileutil::touch ?-a? ?-c? ?-m? ?-r ref_file? ?-t time? filename ?...? DESCRIPTION
This package provides implementations of standard unix utilities. ::fileutil::cat filename A tcl implementation of the UNIX cat command. Returns the contents of the specified file. The first argument is the name of the file to read. ::fileutil::fileType filename An implementation of the UNIX file command, which uses various heuristics to guess the type of a file. Returns a list specifying as much type information as can be determined about the file, from most general (eg, "binary" or "text") to most specific (eg, "gif"). For example, the return value for a GIF file would be "binary graphic gif". The command will detect the following types of files: directory, empty, binary, text, script (with interpreter), executable elf, graphic gif, graphic jpeg, html, xml (with doctype if available), message pgp, and link. ::fileutil::find ?basedir ?filtercmd?? An implementation of the unix command find. Adapted from the Tcler's Wiki. Takes at most two arguments, the path to the directory to start searching from and a command to use to evaluate interest in each file. The path defaults to ".", i.e. the current directory. The command defaults to the empty string, which means that all files are of interest. The command takes care not to loose itself in infinite loops upon encountering circular link structures. The result of the command is a list containing the paths to the inter- esting files. ::fileutil::findByPattern basedir ?-regexp|-glob? ?--? patterns This command is based upon the TclX command recursive_glob, except that it doesn't allow recursion over more than one directory at a time. It uses ::fileutil::find internally and is thus able to and does follow symbolic links, something the TclX command does not do. First argument is the directory to start the search in, second argument is a list of patterns. The command returns a list of all files reachable through basedir whose names match at least one of the patterns. The options before the pattern-list determine the style of matching, either regexp or glob. glob-style matching is the default if no options are given. Usage of the option -- stops option processing. This allows the use of a leading '-' in the patterns. ::fileutil::foreachLine var filename cmd The command reads the file filename and executes the script cmd for every line in the file. During the execution of the script the variable var is set to the contents of the current line. The return value of this command is the result of the last invocation of the script cmd or the empty string if the file was empty. ::fileutil::grep pattern ?files? Implementation of grep. Adapted from the Tcler's Wiki. The first argument defines the pattern to search for. This is followed by a list of files to search through. The list is optional and stdin will be used if it is missing. The result of the procedures is a list containing the matches. Each match is a single element of the list and contains filename, number and contents of the matching line, separated by a colons. ::fileutil::stripN path n Removes the first n elements from the specified path and returns the modified path. If n is greater than the number of components in path an empty string is returned. ::fileutil::stripPwd path If the path is inside of the directory returned by [pwd] it is made relative to that directory. In other words, the current working directory is stripped from the path. The possibly modified path is returned as the result of the command. ::fileutil::touch ?-a? ?-c? ?-m? ?-r ref_file? ?-t time? filename ?...? Implementation of touch. Alter the atime and mtime of the specified files. If -c, do not create files if they do not already exist. If -r, use the atime and mtime from ref_file. If -t, use the integer clock value time. It is illegal to specify both -r and -t. If -a, only change the atime. If -m, only change the mtime. KEYWORDS
file utilities fileutil 1.4 fileutil(n)