Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers echo or print to screen and file Post 12958 by Shakey21 on Wednesday 9th of January 2002 06:56:21 PM
Old 01-09-2002
thanks

thats exactly what I was looking for.
Shakey21

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is it possible to echo 'some text' every 10 minutes on my screen

is it possible to echo 'some text' every 10 minutes on my screen continues , without cron. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vkandati
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set variable to Home, then echo it to screen

Major Newbie here folks. I'm trying to set a variable to my Home directory and then echo it to the screen. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Anna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amidget
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print to screen and to file using awk?!

Hello all!.. does anyone know the syntax to print to the screen and to a file? Im using something like AWK .... print header |tee -a invalid_csv_file ; END {..} ' invalid_csv_file="$invalid_csv_dir_file" but no joy? I get sh:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - print to a log file and screen

as the title suggests, i need to print a user message to a log file and the screen using perl. in unix i set up a function using 'tee' like so function Display_Message { echo "$*" | tee -ai $LOGFILE } the following command then obviously displays to the screen and prints to a log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
6 Replies

5. AIX

print screen

Hi all, Could you please tell me how to take a screenshot in aix (like Print Screen button in windows)? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashantchavan
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo to both screen and a file

Please help me to simplify my below script. #!/bin/bash LOG_FILE=/tmp/log.txt echo "Hello" echo "Hello" >> /tmp/log.txt Is there anyway, that I can echo "Hello" to both screen and file with one single echo command ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phamp008
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo 2 txt files to screen no carraige return

I have two text files, each of then only containing ONE line and NO carraige return or white space at the end...how do I echo both of these text files to the screen without putting an extra line? I want to do this from the command line. file1.txt: this is file1.txt 1 file2.txt: this is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to print script output to screen and file

Hi all, I have a script that bulk loads thousands of lines of data. I need to log the output during the execution of the script. I know I can redirect (">") the output to a file; however, I want the output going to both the screen and the log file. I thought I could use pipe to pipe the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo command with screen and ssh

Hi, i need to execute echo command to write in a txt file on a remote machine. i did it in this way: ssh user@remotemachine "echo "put text here" > /home/user/myfile.txt" I tried to run the same command within a detached screen in this way: ssh user@remotemachine screen -dm "echo "put... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brembo
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo both to the screen and to a file

In shellscript, I want to display echo message in console and in the log file. please help me to display this message in two places. I am using below statment to display messsage, but it is displaying in log file only. echo "Server Already running" >> serverlog 2>&1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kri
3 Replies
ODFFILESEARCH(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 ODFFILESEARCH(1p)

NAME
odffilesearch - File selection by keywords SYNOPSIS
odffilesearch -R "D:Documents*.odt" openoffice desktop XML produces the list of the ODF Text documents present in the given directory and its subdirectories, and containing the words "openoffice", "desktop" AND "XML" odffilesearch -command "rm -f %f" "*.ods *.odt" lost dismiss cancel executes the "rm -f filename" (i.e. deletes the file in a Unix system) for each ODT or ODS file present in the current directory and containing the words "lost", "dismiss" AND "cancel" USAGE
odffilesearch [-options] <file filter> <keyword list> DESCRIPTION
This utility allows the user to retrieve a list of files matching a given set of keywords or regular expressions. A file is selected when it contains, in its text and/or in its metadata (title, subject, keywords or description), all the given search strings. The selected files are echoed to the standard output (one file per line), so this utility can be used as a filter piping its results to another program. Alternatively, a given shell command can be launched by the script each time a file matches, allowing on-the-fly processing of the selected documents. The files filter may content one or more space-separated paths. Each path may content jokers. So it's possible to explore several directories and/or several filename patterns. All the arguments after the file filter are processed as search criteria. OPTIONS
-R -recursive include the subdirectories of each given search directory -verbose -trace -debug echo some processing comments -warnings activate the warning messages of the OpenOffice::OODoc API -log <file> like -verbose, but then messages are sent to the given file and don't pollute the standard output -result <file> -output <file> send the list of matching files to the given file and not to the standard output -criteria <file> get search criteria from a file (one per line); the loaded search keywords may be combined with additional criteria passed with the command line, if any. -command <command> -exec <command> execute a shell command for each matching file ; if the command string contains "%f", this substring is replaced with the name of the selected file ; if this option is provided, the selection list is not echoed to the standard output ; if -verbose is on, the value returned by the command is echoed -encoding <encoding> selects the user's character set ; this option is mandatory if one or more search criteria contain characters not belonging to the default character set perl v5.14.2 2008-05-04 ODFFILESEARCH(1p)