Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Directory names that contain spaces and other suggestions? Post 12924 by jyotipg on Wednesday 9th of January 2002 07:26:24 AM
Old 01-09-2002
i have tested by creating 3-4 levels of directory names with spaces inside the directories having spaces in names. and find works fine in all those levels just by puttting $ENVIRON in quotes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File names with spaces? Is it possible?

Gurus - I got one simple TXT file with long file name with blank spaces in between the words. I am trying to display that full file name, but it breaks while displaying. Could somebody shed some light here? Script ------ for i in `cat ~\temp\employee.txt` do echo $i done (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eric_2005
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces between file names

Hi All, I have spaces in between file names. "Material Header.txt" "Customer Header.txt" "Vendor Header.txt" And how can I remove spaces between file names like below MaterialHeader.txt CustomerHeader.txt VendorHeader.txt Thanks Srimitta (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: srimitta
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to display only Owner and directory/sub directory names under particular root

hai, I am new to Unix, I have a requirement to display owner name , directory or sub directory name, who's owner name is not equal to "oasitqtc". (here "oasitqtc" is the owner of the directory or sub directory.) i have a command (below) which will display all folders and sub folders, but i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to strip the spaces in file names?

please somebody tell me what is wrong with this, while the thumbnail grabbing works and encoding works, but what is not working is, mv $i.jpg /var/www/thumbs/ and mv $i.mp4 /var/www/uploads/ #!/bin/bash # MINT 9 - FFMPEG - QT-FASTSTART - X264 - MP4 DIR=/var/www/tmp for i in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mysoogal
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

making find/sed to include directory names with spaces

how can i make find/sed to include directory names with spaces the command is like this for i in `find wp-content/themes -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep -l -iE 'e'`;do sed -i -e 's/word1/word2/gI' "$i";done but it skips one directory names with spaces sed: can't read ./Nova: No such... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces from start of file names

Hi, I have a directory with the following file names 01 - abc hyn 02-def 03-ghi.dir 04 - jhu.dir abc1 kil def bil The last two file names abc1 starts with one space and def starts with double space. I want these files in my directory to be renamed as ABC HYN DEF GHI.dir... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
6 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Remove leading spaces from file names and folders

Hi All, I have a vexing issue with leading spaces in file names. Basically, we're moving tons of data from our ancient afp file share to Box.com and Box forbids leading spaces in files or folders. The HFS file system seems to be perfectly fine with this, but almost all other Unix file systems... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prometheon123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spaces in names between quotes

command i'm running: echo "services": "contactgroups": , | awk -F"]" '{print $1}' | cut -d' which provides the following output: check_win_semsrv_process, checking logs, check_win_semwebsrv_process, check_win_semlaunchsrv_process As you can see here, it outputs everything just... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem with shell script while spaces encountered in directory names

Hi, I am having issues with the jar -tf command when I put in the shell script. The command runs fine from the command line as shown below. # jar -tf "./VirtualBox Dropped Files/2016-04-17T20:58:49.129139000Z/hive-exec-0.8.1.jar" But when I put in a shell script(shown below) and the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinoo128
10 Replies
debhelper(7)							     Debhelper							      debhelper(7)

NAME
debhelper-obsolete-compat - List of no longer supported compat levels SYNOPSIS
This document contains the upgrade guidelines from all compat levels which are no longer supported. Accordingly it is mostly for historical purposes and to assist people upgrading from a non-supported compat level to a supported level. For upgrades from supported compat levels, please see debhelper(7). UPGRADE LIST FOR COMPAT LEVELS
The following is the list of now obsolete compat levels and their changes. v1 This is the original debhelper compatibility level, and so it is the default one. In this mode, debhelper will use debian/tmp as the package tree directory for the first binary package listed in the control file, while using debian/package for all other packages listed in the control file. This mode is deprecated. v2 In this mode, debhelper will consistently use debian/package as the package tree directory for every package that is built. This mode is deprecated. v3 This mode works like v2, with the following additions: - Debhelper config files support globbing via * and ?, when appropriate. To turn this off and use those characters raw, just prefix with a backslash. - dh_makeshlibs makes the postinst and postrm scripts call ldconfig. - Every file in etc/ is automatically flagged as a conffile by dh_installdeb. This mode is deprecated. v4 Changes from v3 are: - dh_makeshlibs -V will not include the Debian part of the version number in the generated dependency line in the shlibs file. - You are encouraged to put the new ${misc:Depends} into debian/control to supplement the ${shlibs:Depends} field. - dh_fixperms will make all files in bin/ directories and in etc/init.d executable. - dh_link will correct existing links to conform with policy. This mode is deprecated. v5 This is the lowest supported compatibility level. Changes from v4 are: - Comments are ignored in debhelper config files. - dh_strip --dbg-package now specifies the name of a package to put debugging symbols in, not the packages to take the symbols from. - dh_installdocs skips installing empty files. - dh_install errors out if wildcards expand to nothing. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) AUTHORS
Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> Joey Hess 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 debhelper(7)