Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What!!! 1000mb Unix OS? Download??? Post 12845 by LivinFree on Tuesday 8th of January 2002 04:13:09 AM
Old 01-08-2002
Head on over to www.cheapbytes.com to order up some cheap-Unix-happiness... BSD and Linux, at a few bucks a pop.

Although the best way might be a how-to book... It gives you a Unix, then teaches you how to install, configure, and use it!

The reason so many Unix's are bloated are they they are designed to work on very generic hardware, as well as specialized. People want to make sure all of their hardware works properly with their operating system. Also, most Unices come with hundreds (sometimes thousands!) of bundled / free programs, utilities, applications, desktop themes (entirely different desktop managers too), etc, etc, etc... There are some "mini" distributions out there... some are only a few floppies in size...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I Download UNIX?

I'm very new to Unix-- I want to locate and download it to my computer and start learning it. Could anybody plz help me start. Thanks a lot. Rachid (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rachid
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Can I download an UNIX

Hi, I was reading on the net and something caught my eyes it was something about learning how to become a hacker. This site said that the best thing you can do to start is to use a Unix. My first question is: What is an Unix? Then I would like to ask you how can I download one on my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaoticlysmart
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

where can i download unix

okay, where can i download the unix operating system? i cant find it anywhere on your site (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dcotto21
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

where can i download UNIX OS?

where can i download UNIX OS? I am a new bie! :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vuluan
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Download

Hello All, I need to train myself in UNIX. Where can I get UNIX OS download, so that I can multi boot it with my existing Windows OS? Thanks PHK (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pkirangi
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I download UNIX 4.0e

I was wondering if anybody knows where I can download Digital UNIX 4.0E. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emybeavis
2 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

where can I download UNIX?

Dear All, I am a newbie in this forum, I use to know the Linux box, now I want to try with UNIX, so how can I start from the beginning (setup, configuration.....)? and where can I download UNIX? Regards; BL (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenboly
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hello everybody (where can I download Unix)

hello everybody my name is Altin,I'm from albania and I am new in this forum I'd like to use unix and I am a begginer I hope you gays can help in this thing So where can I get for free an unix operating system? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: altin_boy
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Where to download unix not unix flavours like ubuntu, redhat etc.

I checked unix.org but did not find any link where i can download basic unix flavour. any idea from where i can download unix. thanks in advance. - nilesh (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynilesh
14 Replies

10. Fedora

where to download unix os

:confused: this is my very first post in unix.com. hello every one, I am a real Newbie and I wanna know .. 1) from where to download unix os ? 2) are ther any distros like linux in unix? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarsh
13 Replies
File::HomeDir::Unix(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  File::HomeDir::Unix(3pm)

NAME
File::HomeDir::Unix - Find your home and other directories on legacy Unix SYNOPSIS
use File::HomeDir; # Find directories for the current user $home = File::HomeDir->my_home; # /home/mylogin $desktop = File::HomeDir->my_desktop; # All of these will... $docs = File::HomeDir->my_documents; # ...default to home... $music = File::HomeDir->my_music; # ...directory $pics = File::HomeDir->my_pictures; # $videos = File::HomeDir->my_videos; # $data = File::HomeDir->my_data; # DESCRIPTION
This module provides implementations for determining common user directories. In normal usage this module will always be used via File::HomeDir. SUPPORT
See the support section the main File::HomeDir module. AUTHORS
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> Sean M. Burke <sburke@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
File::HomeDir, File::HomeDir::Win32 (legacy) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2005 - 2011 Adam Kennedy. Some parts copyright 2000 Sean M. Burke. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.14.2 2012-01-25 File::HomeDir::Unix(3pm)