Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Finding a column in a flatfile Post 12807 by peter.herlihy on Monday 7th of January 2002 05:02:22 PM
Old 01-07-2002
Finding a column in a flatfile

I have a file which is fixed width columns. This is an offset buffer - rather than space or tab delimited. There are upto about 8 columns and I need to get all of the column 5's values into another file.

The problem is that because the delimiter is a space - and some fields are blank - the 5th field is sometimes taken as the 6th - so I lose quite a bit of data.

I want to find a way to output just the values from the 50th - 60th positions on the line into another file - for all lines in a large text file.

Ideally I'd like to get two columns for each line.....but I imagine that should be easy enough if I can figure out how to get the column I want.

I tried " awk -F" " '{print $5 "," $1 }' " - but this gives me the problem...any ideas?Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the most common entry in a column

Hi, I have a file with 3 columns in it that are comma separated and it has about 5000 lines. What I want to do is find the most common value in column 3 using awk or a shell script or whatever works! I'm totally stuck on how to do this. e.g. value1,value2,bob value1,value2,bob... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Donkey25
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting column from a flatfile with delimiter

I have a set of flatfiles which have columns delimited by #. How can a particular column be deleted in all the flatfiles. All flatfiles have same number of columns. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsprabha
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a flatfile & deleting first line

I have a small script where I want to see if a file exists & then delete the first line from it. I have code to help me find if the file exists, but I am unsure as to how to then take in the answer and remove the first line from the flatfile: This is what I have so far just to output if the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fatalxkiss
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with finding a string and printing value in the next column

Hi, been about 10 years since I've scripted, so very rusty and could use some quick help. I have a file that contains data like such: folder1 jondoe owner janedoe reader joeshmo none folder2 jondoe none janedoe none joeshmo owner folder3 jondoe owner folder4 janedoe owner joeshmo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: drewpark
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the last column value from a text file

Hi, I need to find out the last column value from a text file which is delimited by a tab. The issue here is the last column# for each record can be different i.,e, 1st record can have the last column as 15 and the second record can have the last column as "17". I have to search a string... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen_sangam
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the second last column value from a text file

Can any one tell me how to get the second last column value from the text file, which has different record size for each record. I know how to get the last column using awk and print statements, but I am unable to get the second last column value from the file. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen_sangam
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Maximum value in a column

Hello, I am trying to get a script to work which will find the maximum value of the fourth column and assign that value to all rows where the first three columns match. For example: 1111 2222 AAAA 0.3 3333 4444 BBBB 0.7 1111 2222 AAAA 0.9 1111 2222 AAAA 0.5 3333 4444 BBBB 0.4 should... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysean
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding nearest value in a column

Hi, I have 2 files: file1: 1 ia 2 1 mn 6 1 sd 11 2 ny 3 2 ma 10 3 wa 7 3 ca 8 file2 1 mi 3 1 wi 5 2 pa 4 3 id 6 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: peanuts48
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Nth Column

Please help me how can I display every nth field present in a "|" delimited file. Ex: If a have a file with data as a|b|c|d|e|f|g|h|k|l|m|n I want to display every 3rd feild which means the output should be c f k n Please help me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ngkumar
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding null column value using array

hi, Am trying to find a solution for finding a null column value inside a loop using array. for eg: two three five From the above array myarray,myarray and myarray having null values. But when am trying to check that space using some condition its not working. for (( i=0;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
4 Replies
GIT-COLUMN(1)							    Git Manual							     GIT-COLUMN(1)

NAME
git-column - Display data in columns SYNOPSIS
git column [--command=<name>] [--[raw-]mode=<mode>] [--width=<width>] [--indent=<string>] [--nl=<string>] [--padding=<n>] DESCRIPTION
This command formats its input into multiple columns. OPTIONS
--command=<name> Look up layout mode using configuration variable column.<name> and column.ui. --mode=<mode> Specify layout mode. See configuration variable column.ui for option syntax. --raw-mode=<n> Same as --mode but take mode encoded as a number. This is mainly used by other commands that have already parsed layout mode. --width=<width> Specify the terminal width. By default git column will detect the terminal width, or fall back to 80 if it is unable to do so. --indent=<string> String to be printed at the beginning of each line. --nl=<N> String to be printed at the end of each line, including newline character. --padding=<N> The number of spaces between columns. One space by default. AUTHOR
Written by Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy <pclouds@gmail.com[1]> GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. pclouds@gmail.com mailto:pclouds@gmail.com Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-COLUMN(1)