Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Wildcards in VI
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Wildcards in VI Post 12798 by peter.herlihy on Monday 7th of January 2002 03:23:07 PM
Old 01-07-2002
Smilie Smilie Smilie

Perfect.... so after all that wildcard isn't required if I know the start or the finish of the lines I wish to delete....I'd therefore only need wildcard if the sting is midline - where I can use .*[0-9].*

Outstanding effort.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Makefile wildcards

Using a makefile I want to compile all .c files in the current directory without specifying them directly and then link their associated .o files into a library. How do I do this ? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcscott
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards

when writing a shell script (bourne) and using a unix command like 'ls' is there anything special you need to do to use a wildcard (like *)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with wildcards

ok, I'm trying to write a script file that lists files with specific elements in the name into a txt file, it looks like this ls s*.dat > file_names.txt can't figure out whats wrong with that line, any ideas? thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards NOT

Hi All Please excuse another straightforward question. When creating a tar archive from a directory I am attempting to use wildcards to eliminate certain filetypes (otherwise the archive gets too large). So I am looking for something along these lines. tar -cf archive.tar * <minus all *.rst... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED and wildcards

I am using this code to locate and modify one particular ID in a file containing thousands of entries sed 's/^>OldID/>NewID/g' Infile > Outfile How can I modify the code so I can rename all old IDs to a new unique ID? I tried this sed 's/^>*/>NewID/g' Infile > Outfile but it did not... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wildcards

These 2 websites do a GREAT job of explaining different types of wildcards. I learned about the categories of characters which I never knew about at all. GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Guide - Wildcards GREP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ln -s accept wildcards?

Does ln -s accept wildcards? It doesn't seem like it is working when I use wildcards. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For loop with wildcards

Hi, I've got a ksh for loop with wildcards specified, and I want the wildcards to be preserved when inside the loop. Instead, it is expanding the wilcards and identifying filenames in the current directory #!/usr/bin/ksh list="a* b*" for i in ${list} do echo 'Loop value =' ${i} done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nim
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Wildcards in scp

to scp using windcards you use the following : scp 'hostname:/home/username/diff_201110*' . Enjoy ! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpsnook
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcards and exceptions

Hello: I have a very basic question. I'd like to select all files except for one file. For example, say I want to move all of the files in my current directory to a subdirectory called archive, I would use mv ./* archive/ But what if I want to move all files except for README.txt? Is there an... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danny.Boy
19 Replies
LICENSECHECK(1) 														   LICENSECHECK(1)

NAME
licensecheck - simple license checker for source files SYNOPSIS
licensecheck --help|--version licensecheck [--no-conf] [--verbose] [--copyright] [-l|--lines=N] [-i|--ignore=regex] [-c|--check=regex] [-m|--machine] [-r|--recursive] list of files and directories to check DESCRIPTION
licensecheck attempts to determine the license that applies to each file passed to it, by searching the start of the file for text belonging to various licenses. If any of the arguments passed are directories, licensecheck will add the files contained within to the list of files to process. OPTIONS
--verbose, --no-verbose Specify whether to output the text being processed from each file before the corresponding license information. Default is to be quiet. -l=N, --lines=N Specify the number of lines of each file's header which should be parsed for license information. (Default is 60). -i=regex, --ignore=regex When processing the list of files and directories, the regular expression specified by this option will be used to indicate those which should not be considered (e.g. backup files, VCS metadata). -r, --recursive Specify that the contents of directories should be added recursively. -c=regex, --check=regex Specify a pattern against which filenames will be matched in order to decide which files to check the license of. The default includes common source files. --copyright Also display copyright text found within the file -m, --machine Display the information in a machine readable way, i.e. in the form <file><tab><license>[<tab><copyright>] so that it can be easily sorted and/or filtered, e.g. with the awk and sort commands. Note that using the --verbose option will kill the readability. --no-conf, --noconf Do not read any configuration files. This can only be used as the first option given on the command-line. CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
The two configuration files /etc/devscripts.conf and ~/.devscripts are sourced by a shell in that order to set configuration variables. Command line options can be used to override configuration file settings. Environment variable settings are ignored for this purpose. The currently recognised variables are: LICENSECHECK_VERBOSE If this is set to yes, then it is the same as the --verbose command line parameter being used. The default is no. LICENSECHECK_PARSELINES If this is set to a positive number then the specified number of lines at the start of each file will be read whilst attempting to determine the license(s) in use. This is equivalent to the --lines command line option. LICENSE
This code is copyright by Adam D. Barratt <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk>, all rights reserved; based on a script of the same name from the KDE SDK, which is copyright by <dfaure@kde.org>. This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. You are free to redistribute this code under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2 or later. AUTHOR
Adam D. Barratt <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk> Debian Utilities 2013-12-23 LICENSECHECK(1)