Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: rexec() function problem
Top Forums Programming rexec() function problem Post 12787 by lcmoreno on Monday 7th of January 2002 01:45:34 PM
Old 01-07-2002
I'm running Digital UNIX V4.0D (Rev. 878)

I looked at the man page for rexec and it does not say anything about thread problems, in fact, we are not having any problem using rexec with threads after rexec connects successfully. The only problem is when rexec fails to connect.

The code to connect is like:

do
{
*pifdComm =rexec((char **)&pszInitiatorIpAddress,ptServInfo->s_port,ptConfig->pacInitiatorUsername, ptConfig->pacInitiatorPasswd, ptConfig->pacInitiatorCommand,0);
if (0 > *pifdComm)
{
/* Connection failure message */
}
}while(0 > *pifdComm);

I do not open any socket connection, I just call rexec and use the file descriptor returned by this function to send and receive commands from the host.

I will try this rcmd() and see if it does not have this problem, I didn't try to make it in non multithreaded application, but I'll try too.

Thanks folks, if you have any suggestions let me know.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expect (re: rexec)

In http://forums.unix.com/showthread.php?threadid=391 there is one statement called expect. but when I issue command whereis expect, respond from o/s only EXPECT: (only one world). I try to find it at /usr/bin, no expect statement there ? is it default unix o/s command ? I am using AIX on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yatno
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Enabling Rexec ????

Can someone tell me how I would enable Rexec on a UNIX machine? And is the procedure different on the different systems - Solaris, HP-UX -etc. Thanks~!! mike (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raichuu
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Rexec

How is rexec enabled on a Solaris 8? How can I check if rexec is installed? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pmj1970
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

reagrding REXEC command

Hi UNIX gurus..... have a doubt..can i run a script in a remote machine by using something like rexec add.corp.afg.com /aa/ss/remtescript I dont want to use the rsh command due to some security issues. thanx, rahul26 :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul26
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I do a rexec to execute un C exe ?

Hello, I would like to do a rexec to execute a C exe (prog.e) : rexec -l user -p password host prog.e When I execute this command, I have this error : prog.e : can not find lib.o But, When I execute prog.e directly in the remote machine : well done ! No error output. Thks for your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lika
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remote commands problem using RSH & Rexec

I have enabled the RSH and Rexec command in my HP-UX server but when i try to send any command to the server it returns Execute Permission Denied except commands like ls-l C:\rsh xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -l mpac mxpkill 12 the mxpkill command work when I log to the server using telnet with the same... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fhuwaidy
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

exit codes from rexec?

how do i/is there a way to return the exit code from the remote host? echo $? from the local host only gives 0, if the rexec command itself executes successfully. But what if in the case of the remote command failiing? echo $? on the localhost still gives 0, but I'm interested in the exit code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: diego_sapphire
4 Replies

8. AIX

rexec - other options?

Rexec executes commands one at a time on a remote host. The rexec command provides an automatic login feature by checking for a $HOME/.netrc file. User and password are stored in $HOME/.netrc. I would like to log on to another host and execute a script/command but not using $HOME/.netrc file,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ioniCoder
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rexec Issue

Hi Team, I am executing some ksh scripts which inturn calls java files in AIX Environment. We have installed java6_64 which is in .profile. But when we execute from rexec its taking path from some different place that does not have java in $PATH variable. Can you please help me find out which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balasubramani04
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Slow login with rexec.

Hi all, I´m replacing an old linux enterprise redhat 4.5 by a new one linux enterprise redhat 6. In both I use rexec as a communication between the front end and the user. In the old one, when the user connects, the communication establishes quickly (less than 3 sec). But in the new one, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mig28mx
1 Replies
REXEC(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  REXEC(3)

NAME
rexec - return stream to a remote command SYNOPSIS
#define _BSD_SOURCE /* See feature_test_macros(7) */ #include <netdb.h> int rexec(char **ahost, int inport, char *user, char *passwd, char *cmd, int *fd2p); DESCRIPTION
This interface is obsoleted by rcmd(3). The rexec() function looks up the host *ahost using gethostbyname(3), returning -1 if the host does not exist. Otherwise *ahost is set to the standard name of the host. If a username and password are both specified, then these are used to authenticate to the foreign host; otherwise the environment and then the user's .netrc file in his home directory are searched for appropriate information. If all this fails, the user is prompted for the information. The port inport specifies which well-known DARPA Internet port to use for the connection; the call getservbyname("exec", "tcp") (see get- servent(3)) will return a pointer to a structure that contains the necessary port. The protocol for connection is described in detail in rexecd(8). If the connection succeeds, a socket in the Internet domain of type SOCK_STREAM is returned to the caller, and given to the remote command as stdin and stdout. If fd2p is nonzero, then an auxiliary channel to a control process will be setup, and a descriptor for it will be placed in *fd2p. The control process will return diagnostic output from the command (unit 2) on this channel, and will also accept bytes on this channel as being Unix signal numbers, to be forwarded to the process group of the command. The diagnostic information returned does not include remote authorization failure, as the secondary connection is set up after authorization has been verified. If fd2p is 0, then the stderr (unit 2 of the remote command) will be made the same as the stdout and no provision is made for sending arbitrary signals to the remote process, although you may be able to get its attention by using out-of-band data. CONFORMING TO
Not in POSIX.1-2001. Present on the BSDs, Solaris, and many other systems. The rexec() function appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
The rexec() function sends the unencrypted password across the network. The underlying service is considered a big security hole and therefore not enabled on many sites, see rexecd(8) for explanations. SEE ALSO
rcmd(3), rexecd(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-09-10 REXEC(3)