Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Defining variables at boot time Post 12749 by thehoghunter on Monday 7th of January 2002 11:06:45 AM
Old 01-07-2002
From the man pages:

The basic environment is initialized to:

HOME=your-login-directory
LOGNAME=your-login-name
PATH=/usr/bin:
SHELL=last-field-of-passwd-entry
MAIL=/var/mail/your-login-name
TZ=timezone-specification

For Bourne shell and Korn shell logins, the shell executes
/etc/profile and $HOME/.profile, if it exists. For C shell
logins, the shell executes /etc/.login, $HOME/.cshrc, and
$HOME/.login. The default /etc/profile and /etc/.login
files check quotas (see quota(1M)), print /etc/motd, and
check for mail. None of the messages are printed if the
file $HOME/.hushlogin exists. The name of the command
interpreter is set to - (dash), followed by the last com-
ponent of the interpreter's path name, for example, -sh.

Any system wide variables you want all 'users' to have should be placed in the /etc/profile and/or /etc/.login. Any 'user' specific (all Oracle DBA) should be set up on the individual profile or login in the home directory.
thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

start a process at boot up time

Hi, I have a program that check the IP address and automatic update it to the DNS server. I would like to run this program when the computer bootup after pppd get a connection. How do I add it to the init file. Does any one have any information of how to do it. I run a Linux Mandrake as a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
1 Replies

2. BSD

Reduce boot-time delay on FreeBSD?

Say for instance, I would like to reduce the delay/waiting time for the boot-time menu from 10 seconds to 5 seconds, how would I go about doing it? From what I've been able to find, entering "autoboot 5" into the right file would take care of that for me, but the man pages are unclear as to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DownSouthMoe
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Defining Variables

I'm trying to define a variable named sin I already have a variable named cos, which has the value "hello" I want sin to have the value of "hellothere", so sin would be something like sin = $cos & "there" but I'm not sure that I know the syntax. Can anyone help? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sailorliones
4 Replies

4. Programming

How to get time since last boot?

How do I get the number of tics or seconds since the last boot? How do I convert tics to seconds? Thanks, Siegfried (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

defining variables

Hey all, I was wondering if someone would take a look at this script I'm working on. I don't know if i have the syntax correct for my variables and if the for loop is written correctly. any assistance would be greatly appreciated. #!/usr/bin/bash ###########################################... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: em23
12 Replies

6. HP-UX

HP UX start process at boot time

When I get start program at boot I read which run level /sbin/rcx.d runlevel=0.....x only read directory which directory name has UpperCase 'S' is not enough someone says that I need to reference another file which file I need to reference 1)/etc/rc.config.d/all file which parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

I want to get machine boot up time

I use the uptime command,but it only show how long system has been up up 18 days but I want the this format machine boot time YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss does any command can get that or how to i use program to do this (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
6 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Upgrading 9.04 version 9.10 - slow boot time

After upgrading my 9.04 version to the 9.10 my boot time duplicates. I donīt know the reason why the time of boot gets to the double. Someone ??? Thx. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: diesan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Defining Dynamic Number of Variables in a Bash Script

Code: $ cat test.bash #!/bin/bash job=$1 steps=$2 num=$(echo "$@" | wc -w) Example Submission: $ ./test.bash BS01 3 1 2 3 What: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkastin
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Boot time driver conflict

I have a Microdia web cam. Some times it won't work if and only if there is a "HV7131R image sensor detected" statement in the boot up. In this case when I try to get a .png snapshot all I get is a frame full of what appears to be white noise only it is mostly green. Here is the command I am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slak0
0 Replies
rc3(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    rc3(8)

NAME
rc3 - Run command script executed when entering a multiuser run level SYNOPSIS
rc3 DESCRIPTION
The rc3 script contains run commands that enable initialization of the system to a multiuser state; run level 3. In addition to commands listed within the script itself, rc3 contains instructions to run certain commands found in the /sbin/rc3.d directory. The script defines the conditions under which the commands execute; some commands run if the system is booting, other commands execute if the system is chang- ing run levels. By convention, files in the rc3.d directory begin with either the letter "S" or the letter "K" and are followed by a two-digit number and a filename; for example: S00inet S55inetd S70mount S65lpd In general, the system starts commands that begin with the letter "S" and stops commands that begin with the letter "K." Commands that begin with the letter "K" run only when the system is changing run levels from a higher to a lower level. Commands that begin with the letter "S" run in all cases. The numbering of commands in the /sbin/rc3.d directory is important since the numbers are sorted and the com- mands are run in ascending order. Files in the /sbin/rc3.d directory are normally links to files in the /etc/init.d directory. An entry in the inittab file causes the system to execute the rc3 run commands, for example: s3:3:wait:/sbin/rc3 < /dev/console > /dev/con- sole 2>&1 The following operations are typical of those that result from executing the rc3 script and the commands located in the /sbin/rc3.d direc- tory. The operation depends on which state the system is entering or exiting. Setting the time zone Checking the current run level Start- ing network services and daemons Starting (or stopping) system services and daemons Mounting file systems Setting the TIMEZONE variable is one of the first operations completed by the rc3 script. This action provides the default time zone for subsequent commands. FILES
Specifies the command path Specifies the directory of commands that correspond to the run level RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: init(8), rc0(8), rc2(8) delim off rc3(8)