Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux Swap Partition
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Linux Swap Partition Post 12734 by cns on Monday 7th of January 2002 02:23:48 AM
Old 01-07-2002
There are a lot of theories on how big you should make you swap partition. Some say 2x your RAM, some say 3x your RAM. It also depends on how big your RAM is.
If it is 256Mb then I would choose 2x RAM = 512 Mb
If it is 512 Mb I would make it 512 Mb.

It also depends on what you want to use your system for.
Are you using GNOME or KDE? Are you gonna play games?
All these things determine the size for your swap partition.
512 Mb does usually do the trick.

Good luck

Last edited by cns; 01-07-2002 at 03:34 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap Partition Space

first of all, sorry about my english...I´m a spanish newbie to this marvelous OS and i have just a couple of doubts...u know? :-) 1) how big should my swap partition be if i installed debian 2.2r3 or FreeBSD 4.x on a AMD k7 1400Mhz with 512Mb of Random Access Memory? i heard that those OS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: I[X]ION
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux/Windows Fat32 Swap partition.

I run a dual boot WinXP/Red Hat 8 system on my laptop. Since my hard drive is inherently small(laptop) I am trying to creat a swap partition for keeping mutually used files such as music/video etc... I have created a 2.5GB Fat32 partition with Partition Magic Pro and have windows recognizing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djtrippin
2 Replies

3. Linux

swap partition?

What does a swap partition do exactly? I was messing arround with a linux machine at my school and i deleted the swap partition using fdisk and then rebooted the machine and it worked fine and wrote a swap partition back in...lol. Is it a nessary part of the OS to use that partition? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
7 Replies

4. Linux

How to give UUID to a swap partition?

Dear Folks Is there anyway to give a UUID to a swap partition? mkswap on CentOS 5 (util-linux-2.13-0.45.el5_1.1) appears to override this option ;-( # swapoff -a # mkswap -L swap1 /dev/sda3 Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 4293591 kB LABEL=swap1, no uuid And there's no... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santi
3 Replies

5. Solaris

swap partition showing mounted in df -h

Dear All Anyone can help me what is the problem of swap partition? swap partition is showing mounted in df -h command output. Regards prakash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pshelke
1 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Partition 1 swap not mounting ?

Hi, running mount, I get the following, no part1 swap as part1 swap has been created and is listed below. System works fine anyway. As I cannot unmount part1, what is a standard procedure to make part1 on. Jack ============= .. $ free total used free shared buffers cached Mem:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack2
2 Replies

7. Linux

SWAP not being used in Linux.

Hi, I am facing a weird problem in one ofmy linux boxes. top & ps -ef commands hang on the server. swap is not at all being used on the server. Below are the details of swap: # swapon -s Filename Type Size Used Priority... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sag71155
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Size of swap partition during installation

Greetings. I've been into computers since the '80s, but this is my first attempt at Linux. I'm installing Debian Lenny on a PIII 733 with 10GB hard drive and 512MB Ram. I intend to use the machine primarily as a development server, with things like mySQL, Apache, php, etc. I don't really want... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: fguy
22 Replies

9. HP-UX

Could I mount a swap/dump partition on /tmp?

Hey Guys. Let show our disk-mapping structure on HP-UX B11.11 with df : # df /home (/dev/vg00/lvol5 ): 18979652 blocks 1224395 i /opt (/dev/vg00/lvol4 ): 120276192 blocks 1894100 i /var (/dev/vg00/lvol6 ): 19380328 blocks ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aggadtech08
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies
DPHYS-SWAPFILE(8)					      System Manager's Manual						 DPHYS-SWAPFILE(8)

NAME
dphys-swapfile - set up, mount/unmount, and delete an swap file SYNOPSIS
dphys-swapfile setup|swapon|swapoff|uninstall DESCRIPTION
dphys-swapfile computes the size for an optimal swap file (and resizes an existing swap file if necessary), mounts an swap file, unmounts it, and and delete it if not wanted any more. OPTIONS
There is only one parameter, an command, which can be either of these: setup Tells dphys-swapfile to compute the optimal swap file size and (re-)generate an fitting swap file. Default it 2 times RAM size. This can be called at boot time, so the file allways stays the right size for current RAM, or run by hand whenever RAM size has changed. swapon and swapoff These run the swapon and swapoff commands on the swapfile. Note that direct swapon/off from /etc/fstab is not possible, as that is (at least on Debian) done in the same script that mounts /var (which is where the swap file most likely resides). And we need to do our setup between those actions. So pass up /etc/fstab, and do our own swapon/off. uninstall Gets rid of an unwanted swap file, reclaiming the disk space. CONFIG
The config file /etc/dphys-swapfile allows the user to set up the working environment for dphys-swapfile. This config file is a sh script fragment full of assignments, which is sourced. Standard sh syntax rules apply. Assignments are: CONF_SWAPFILE Set where the swap file should be placed. Defaults to /var/swap. It is unlikely that you will need to change this, unless you have very strange partitioning, and then you will most likely be using an swap partition anyway. CONF_SWAPSIZE Force file size to this. Default is 2*RAM size. This is unlikely to be needed, unless in strange diskspace situations. Note that swap enabled and smaller than RAM causes kernal-internal VM trouble on random systems. CONF_SWAPFACTOR Set the relation between RAM and swap size. Must be an integer. Defaults to 2 which means swap size = 2 * RAM size CONF_MAXSWAP Set maximum size of the swap file in MBytes. Defaults to 2048 which was the former kernel limit for the swapfile size and is now a limit to prevent unusual big swap files on systems with a lot of RAM. FILES
/etc/dphys-swapfile user config $CONF_SWAPFILE the swap file, target of the whole action (defaults to /var/swap) EXAMPLES
dphys-swapfile is usually run at system startup and shutdown from an /etc/init.d (or /etc/rc.d) script, such as this (minimal) one: #!/bin/sh # /etc/init.d/dphys-swapfile - automatically set up an swapfile # author franklin, last modification 2004.06.04 # This script is copyright ETH Zuerich Physics Departement, # use under either modified/non-advertising BSD or GPL license case "$1" in start) /sbin/dphys-swapfile setup /sbin/dphys-swapfile swapon ;; stop) /sbin/dphys-swapfile swapoff ;; esac exit 0 If an sysadmin wants to have his swapfile in annother place, say /var/run/swap, he can use: In /etc/dphys-swapfile: CONF_SWAPFILE=/var/run/swap AUTHOR
franklin@phys.ethz.ch, http://www.phys.ethz.ch/~franklin/ D-PHYS Swapfile Tools 2006.09.15 DPHYS-SWAPFILE(8)