Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PERL Question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting PERL Question Post 12604 by doeboy on Thursday 3rd of January 2002 06:37:16 PM
Old 01-03-2002
It's the same, since the system() call just runs whatever command is given to it, in this case, the cp command. PERL isn't really doing the copying. The cp command is.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about Perl

Where can i find solid information about programming in Perl? Thank you in advance!!!:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolidSnake
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: tk question

When i run my perl/tk script, a perl window pops up behind the GUI window,, can this be hidden???? Also, can the Icon be changed, the Tk icon in every window??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perleo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl question

If I use 2 system commands in a script, will one finish before the next one starts? or will it start the first and the second at the same time? i.e. system("ps | grep rminer"); system("ls -al | grep 431"); (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL question

Hello, pkzipc of a certain zip file yeilds the following in shell PKZIP(R) Version 6.0 FAST! Compression Utility for AIX Copyright 1989-2002 PKWARE Inc. All Rights Reserved. Registered Version PKZIP Reg. U.S. Pat. and Tm. Off. Patent No. 5,051,745 Viewing .ZIP: test.zip Length... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

another perl question

I copy and paste from the book but this thing is not working. I cannot figure out what is wrong with myline 9.. can someone please tell me # cat ./sort4.pl #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use warnings; my $input = shift; my $output = shift; open(IN, '<', $input) or die... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankooknara
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl question regarding [ ]

Below program, I do not get why item I am looking for is , instead of . When I do $#text, i get the right value for $value1, but when I do , i get somsething4, instead of somsethingxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx(which is what I am looking for. when I do , I get empty.. why? what did I do wrong? can you... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

another perl question

I fail to see how below answer is 1? can someone explain this for me? DB<3> $string = "The cat sat on the mat"; DB<4> $animal = ($string =~ m/The (.*) sat/); DB<5> print $animal; 1 (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

another perl question

I have a question regarding bulding a hash from a file which has below pattern I thought I could write something like this but clearly my syntax is way off $/ = "\n\n"; $" = "\n"; open(FILE, file1) || die; my %keymaster = ( ); while (<FILE>) { my $topinfo =~... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL Question ...

I am reading a file in perl script .. during the debug the $linein value is : linein : +ASM1,sys,||¬ |3Æqúoü;”ט|| from this line I am getting the tmepuser and password from above : ($tmpuser, $pwd) = ($linein =~ /^$server\s*,\s*(+)\s*,\|\|(.+)\|\|/sm); I am getting $tmpuser and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: talashil
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl question about

Hello everybody, I am new at the forum and a total newbie when it comes to Unix. I am trying to see how I can add the ability to kill a user's processes? I want to add this to my Shel Script Add the code/process into a subroutine. Also, I would like to use an array to store the list... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinelisch
0 Replies
APPLY(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  APPLY(1)

NAME
apply -- apply a command to a set of arguments SYNOPSIS
apply [-a c] [-d] [-#] command argument ... DESCRIPTION
The apply utility runs the named command on each argument argument in turn. Character sequences of the form ``%d'' in command, where 'd' is a digit from 1 to 9, are replaced by the d'th following unused argument. In this case, the largest digit number of arguments are discarded for each execution of command. The options are as follows: -# Normally arguments are taken singly; the optional number -# specifies the number of arguments to be passed to command. If the number is zero, command is run, without arguments, once for each argument. If any sequences of ``%d'' occur in command, the -# option is ignored. -a c The use of the character '%' as a magic character may be changed with the -a option. -d Display the commands that would have been executed, but do not actually execute them. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable affects the execution of apply: SHELL Pathname of shell to use. If this variable is not defined, the Bourne shell is used. EXAMPLES
apply echo a* is similar to ls(1); apply -2 cmp a1 b1 a2 b2 a3 b3 compares the `a' files to the `b' files; apply -0 who 1 2 3 4 5 runs who(1) 5 times; and apply 'ln %1 /usr/joe' * links all files in the current directory to the directory /usr/joe. FILES
/bin/sh default shell AUTHORS
Rob Pike BUGS
Shell metacharacters in command may have bizarre effects; it is best to enclose complicated commands in single quotes (''). HISTORY
The apply command appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
April 4, 1994 BSD