Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Wildcards in VI
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Wildcards in VI Post 12602 by auswipe on Thursday 3rd of January 2002 06:08:03 PM
Old 01-03-2002
D'oh!

I saw this message in another thread from J.P.:

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P
You can also use this command in Elvis, it should work in Vi too probably Smilie

:g/^$/d

This deletes all blank lines

/
JP Smilie
You can use :g/^S[0-9].*/d to perform the mass deletion in vi. I thought there was a way to do it but couldn't remember /g, only %s for mass subsitutions! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Makefile wildcards

Using a makefile I want to compile all .c files in the current directory without specifying them directly and then link their associated .o files into a library. How do I do this ? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcscott
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards

when writing a shell script (bourne) and using a unix command like 'ls' is there anything special you need to do to use a wildcard (like *)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with wildcards

ok, I'm trying to write a script file that lists files with specific elements in the name into a txt file, it looks like this ls s*.dat > file_names.txt can't figure out whats wrong with that line, any ideas? thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards NOT

Hi All Please excuse another straightforward question. When creating a tar archive from a directory I am attempting to use wildcards to eliminate certain filetypes (otherwise the archive gets too large). So I am looking for something along these lines. tar -cf archive.tar * <minus all *.rst... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED and wildcards

I am using this code to locate and modify one particular ID in a file containing thousands of entries sed 's/^>OldID/>NewID/g' Infile > Outfile How can I modify the code so I can rename all old IDs to a new unique ID? I tried this sed 's/^>*/>NewID/g' Infile > Outfile but it did not... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wildcards

These 2 websites do a GREAT job of explaining different types of wildcards. I learned about the categories of characters which I never knew about at all. GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Guide - Wildcards GREP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ln -s accept wildcards?

Does ln -s accept wildcards? It doesn't seem like it is working when I use wildcards. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For loop with wildcards

Hi, I've got a ksh for loop with wildcards specified, and I want the wildcards to be preserved when inside the loop. Instead, it is expanding the wilcards and identifying filenames in the current directory #!/usr/bin/ksh list="a* b*" for i in ${list} do echo 'Loop value =' ${i} done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nim
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Wildcards in scp

to scp using windcards you use the following : scp 'hostname:/home/username/diff_201110*' . Enjoy ! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpsnook
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcards and exceptions

Hello: I have a very basic question. I'd like to select all files except for one file. For example, say I want to move all of the files in my current directory to a subdirectory called archive, I would use mv ./* archive/ But what if I want to move all files except for README.txt? Is there an... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danny.Boy
19 Replies
XScreenSaver(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   XScreenSaver(1)

NAME
halftone - simple halftone pattern of moving mass points SYNOPSIS
halftone [-display host:display.screen] [-visual visual] [-window] [-root] [-count number] [-spacing number] [-sizefactor number] [-delay number] [-minmass number] [-maxmass number] [-minspeed number] [-maxspeed number] DESCRIPTION
Draws the gravity force in each point on the screen seen through a halftone dot pattern. The gravity force is calculated from a set of mov- ing mass points. View it from a distance for best effect. OPTIONS
-visual visual Specify which visual to use. Legal values are the name of a visual class, or the id number (decimal or hex) of a specific visual. -window Draw on a newly-created window. This is the default. -root Draw on the root window. -count number How many mass points to move around. Default: 10 -spacing number Distance between each halftone dot. Default: 14 -sizefactor number How big each halftone dot should be drawn compared to the spacing value. Default: 1.5 -minmass number The minimum mass of each mass point. Default: 0.001 -maxmass number The maximum mass of each mass point. Default: 0.02 -minspeed number The minimum speed of each mass point. Default: 0.001 -maxspeed number The maximum speed of each mass point. Default: 0.02 -delay number Per-frame delay, in microseconds. Default: 10000 ENVIRONMENT
DISPLAY to get the default host and display number. XENVIRONMENT to get the name of a resource file that overrides the global resources stored in the RESOURCE_MANAGER property. SEE ALSO
X(1), xscreensaver(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 by Peter Jaric. Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its documentation for any pur- pose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation. No representations are made about the suitability of this software for any pur- pose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty. AUTHOR
Peter Jaric X Version 11 9-oct-2002 XScreenSaver(1)