Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Deleting log file
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Deleting log file Post 12582 by s_aamir on Thursday 3rd of January 2002 03:38:16 PM
Old 01-03-2002
Deleting log file

Hi:-

Will there be any difference in Solair 2.6 if I delete /var/cron/log file to free up some space.

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting log files only in particular directories

Hi My problem is i have to remove some log files in specific named directories on a regular basis using shell scripts. What i want my shell script to do is i give the shell script some listing of directories from which to delete all log files recursively. Can anyone please help me. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameervs
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting 100k log files quickly

I've walked into a while loop gone bad.....which has created 100k+ log files. Is it quicker removing the files with rm pattern* or actually removing the entire directory with rm -rf dir/ It's taking ages (hours) either way ...just curious if one is goig to be quicker than the other...or is it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines in a log file

Is there an easy way to delete the first so many lines in a log file? like I have a log file that has 10000 lines, i want to just get rid of the first 9000. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

command for deleting log files based on some condition

Hello, Can anyone pls. provide me with the command for deleting files older then 15 days with a restriction to keep at least 5 files in a directory even if they are older then 15 days. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks, Pulkit (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pulkit
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kron Shell: deleting all but most recent log files

I am trying to create a Korn Shell script to be run every 5-10 minute from a crontab. This script needs to look for log files (transaction_<date>.log). If there are more than 5 such files, it needs to delete all but the most current 5. How often these files are create varies - can be every minute... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WmShaw
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting double entries in a log file

Hi Folks, I have a apache log file that has double entries (however not all lines appear twice). How can I delete automatically the first line of a double entry? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Klaus Here is what the log file looks like 217.81.190.164 - - "GET... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: opusforum
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all characters from 350th character to 450th character from the log file

Hi All, I have a big log file i want to delete all characters (between 350th to 450th characters) starting at 350th character position to 450th character position. please advice or sample code. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script For Deleting Contents of "Live" Log File

In our shop, we have a situation where a log file from our interface engine software has begun maxing out in file size (reaching the 32-bit "2147483647" limit). Currently, the only way to rectify this is to stop the interface and restart it, which generates a new log. Easy enough, but the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjhjr64
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting string within a file that finishes with .log

Hello, This is my first post. Nice forum! I have a file trls.results small exemple of content (actually the file can be very big): ./security/htaccess.htm ./security/ipcount.log ./adhoc/sql/datamod06.sql So there is 3 paths to 3 different files... I want to remove every string that has a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacob106106
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines in a log file

Hello Community, sorry iam from germany and my englisch is not so well. iam searching for less then 4 hours on the web for a solution of my problem. i have a proxy-log-file and want to delete lines wicht matches on two words. example of the line in the logfile: now i want to delet... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matze
3 Replies
CRON(8) 						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						   CRON(8)

NAME
cron -- daemon to execute scheduled commands (ISC Cron V4.1) SYNOPSIS
cron [-n] [-x debugflags] DESCRIPTION
cron is normally started during system boot by rc.d(8) framework, if cron is switched on in rc.conf(5). It will return immediately so you don't have to start it with '&'. cron searches /var/cron/tabs for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd. Crontabs found are loaded into memory. cron also searches for /etc/crontab which is in a different format (see crontab(5)). Finally cron looks for crontabs in /etc/cron.d if it exists, and executes each file as a crontab. When cron looks in a directory for crontabs (either in /var/cron/tabs or /etc/cron.d) it will not process files that: - Start with a '.' or a '#'. - End with a '~' or with ``.rpmsave'', ``.rpmorig'', or ``.rpmnew''. - Are of zero length. - Their length is greater than MAXNAMLEN. cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When executing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Events such as START and FINISH are recorded in the /var/log/cron log file with date and time details. This information is useful for a num- ber of reasons, such as determining the amount of time required to run a particular job. By default, root has an hourly job that rotates these log files with compression to preserve disk space. Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab or /etc/cron.d) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted when- ever a crontab file is modified. Note that the crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. The following options are available: -x This flag turns on some debugging flags. debugflags is comma-separated list of debugging flags to turn on. If a flag is turned on, cron writes some additional debugging information to system log during its work. Available debugging flags are: sch scheduling proc process control pars parsing load database loading misc miscellaneous test test mode - do not actually execute any commands bit show how various bits are set (long) ext print extended debugging information -n Stay in the foreground and don't daemonize cron. Daylight Saving Time and other time changes Local time changes of less than three hours, such as those caused by the start or end of Daylight Saving Time, are handled specially. This only applies to jobs that run at a specific time and jobs that are run with a granularity greater than one hour. Jobs that run more fre- quently are scheduled normally. If time has moved forward, those jobs that would have run in the interval that has been skipped will be run immediately. Conversely, if time has moved backward, care is taken to avoid running jobs twice. Time changes of more than 3 hours are considered to be corrections to the clock or timezone, and the new time is used immediately. SIGNALS
On receipt of a SIGHUP, the cron daemon will close and reopen its log file. This is useful in scripts which rotate and age log files. Natu- rally this is not relevant if cron was built to use syslog(3). FILES
/var/cron/tabs cron spool directory /etc/crontab system crontab file /etc/cron.d/ system crontab directory /var/log/cron log file for cron events SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5) AUTHORS
Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org> BSD
October 12, 2011 BSD