Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: User Group
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers User Group Post 12561 by Perderabo on Thursday 3rd of January 2002 09:50:00 AM
Old 01-03-2002
You have a very serious problem. In your /etc/group file you have two lines, one for "sys" and one for "dba" that both have the same group id. When you added the dba group to your system you were supposed to insure that it had a unique group id. When you have something like:
sys::3:
dba::3:
then the dba group is really just an extention of the sys group.

You need to assign a unique group id to the dba group. Then you need to run chgrp on all those oracle files to get set to the right group.

Your /dev/mem and /dev/kmem files may be readable by the group sys; if so, this is a real security hole.

But, on the bright side, if you ever have a group with too many users to fit on one line in /etc/group, you will know what to do Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user/group

Hi! Herez the scenario 1. logged in as user xxxx $ id uid=125(xxxx) gid=101(my_grp) groups=0(system),15(users),16(sysadmin),19(adm),110(appl) $ touch test $ ls -la test -rw-r--r-- 1 xxxx system 0 Mar 7 14:31 test Why is the group of the file test 'system' and not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdharmap
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User and Group Structure

I was asked to set up a unix system and i am at a loss. i need to know the best one for a small to medium sized business and how to go about setting up the uids and the guids for the network. what permissions i have available and such. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dwchapman
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Adding User to group

Hi all, I have a existing user user1 its group id dba i have created a new user named: uta and added to group dba my task for creating uta ( to ftp solaris server from /oracle/pcmia/dry1 & oracle/pcmia/dry2 and get some rdf ( database patch) and saved in one windows folder named d:\patch... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

user and its group

Hello, is there any command which can show a particular user "xyz" is belongs to how many groups thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookinginfo
3 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Create New User with the same group nd privileges of the other user

Hi, Anyone can help me on how to duplicate privileges and group for useroradb01 to userrootdb01. I have currently using "useroradb01" and create a newly user "userrootdb01". I want both in the sames privileges and group. Please see the existing users list below; drwxr-xr-x 53 useroradb01... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
0 Replies

7. Debian

Group/User

Can someone help in creating a group and user. syntax to create a Group called Members. syntax to create a user called AAAA and place in to the Group Members. Thanks for your help in Advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sawyer
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

user without group

hi i have vert strange query.. can we add user in unix with out assigned it to any group i mean user which is having no default group or anything.. like this in /etc/passwd file new_user:::::::: Please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
2 Replies

9. Linux

Nobody user group in Linux

Hi I am facing problem of taking backup of file system as username1. There are some files in system which is having group ownership as nobody. and username1 is not able to open this file and backup is failing .Even as a root user I can not open this file. File which is creating problem is ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: devesh123
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

User is a Part of a Group But Group Details Do Not Show the User

Hi, In the following output you can see the the user "richard" is a member on the team/group "developers": # id richard uid=10247(richard) gid=100361(developers) groups=100361(developers),10053(testers) but in the following details of the said group (developers), the said user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
3 Replies
CHGRP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  CHGRP(1)

NAME
chgrp -- change group SYNOPSIS
chgrp [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] group file ... DESCRIPTION
The chgrp utility sets the group ID of the file named by each file operand to the group ID specified by the group operand. The following options are available: -f The force option ignores errors, except for usage errors and doesn't query about strange modes (unless the user does not have proper permissions). -H If the -R option is specified, symbolic links on the command line are followed. (Symbolic links encountered in the tree traversal are not followed). -h If the file is a symbolic link, the group ID of the link itself is changed rather than the file that is pointed to. -L If the -R option is specified, all symbolic links are followed. -P If the -R option is specified, no symbolic links are followed. This is the default. Use -h to change the group ID of a symbolic link. -R Change the group ID for the file hierarchies rooted in the files instead of just the files themselves. -v Cause chgrp to be verbose, showing files as the group is modified. The -H, -L and -P options are ignored unless the -R option is specified. In addition, these options override each other and the command's actions are determined by the last one specified. The group operand can be either a group name from the group database, or a numeric group ID. If a group name is also a numeric group ID, the operand is used as a group name. The user invoking chgrp must belong to the specified group and be the owner of the file, or be the super-user. DIAGNOSTICS
The chgrp utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
In previous versions of this system, symbolic links did not have groups. The -v option is non-standard and its use in scripts is not recommended. FILES
/etc/group group ID file SEE ALSO
chown(2), fts(3), group(5), passwd(5), symlink(7), chown(8) STANDARDS
The chgrp utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
March 31, 1994 BSD