Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: variables in sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting variables in sed Post 12514 by sskb on Wednesday 2nd of January 2002 05:22:58 PM
Old 01-02-2002
variables in sed

when i do something like substituting a particular thing with a system variable, i am unable to do that expect the varible name getting into that.

for ex.. i tried,

sed -e 's/date/`date`/g' <if >of

but i got date replaced with "`date`" and not with the actual date ..
same case happened with a variable $var.

Can I know where I go wrong?

Thanks
sskb

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

doing a sed with variables

Hi, I'm trying to do the following , I have certain variables in a file and then I want to check for these variables in a certain cobol file to see if they contain a certain package if so replace them with value 1 but but that last line is giving problems: # for each variable in SQL file ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seaten
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

doing a sed with variables

Hi, I'm trying to do the following , I have certain variables in a file and then I want to check for these variables in a certain cobol file to see if they contain a certain package if so replace them with value 1 but but that last line is giving problems: # for each variable in SQL file ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

doing a sed on certain variables

Hi guys, I want to replace certain values with the number 1. But it is also replacing other values which contain the value I want to replace. e.g.: I want to replace ID-INTERNAL with 1, that's no problem but it will also replace ID-INTERNAL-NON-REM with 1-NON-REM I don't want to... (10 Replies)
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed with variables (again!)

Hi, I'm trying to use sed to delete the last three lines of a file. I currently have: # get the amount of lines in the file foldernum=`wc -l File_In.txt | cut -c1-8` # remove the lines in the file sed "${foldernum}-3,${foldernum}d" File_In.txt > File_Out.txt I get the error - sed:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_Plow
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variables

HELP!!! I'm keep getting "sed: Function s/PETS/dog cannot be parsed." I have 2 files that list... # cat FILE1.txt dog cat mouse # cat FILE2.txt my pets are PETS I put this into a variable... # A=`cat FILE1.txt` # sed "s/PETS/$A" FILE2.txt > FILE3.txt (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zenwork
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

using variables with sed

I'm trying to get sed to cut and replace using variables, but it doesnt seem to work, when I run this the mod time of the file does get updated. Is my syntax incorrect in the sed command? Thanks #!/usr/bin/ksh #Modify header set -x HEAD=$(cat PBN2CPR1.TXT | awk 'BEGIN { FS = ","... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ddurden7
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed using variables

Hi, I am able to use sed if I hardcode the find and replace values in a shell script. This works: sed -e 's/123v/4567/g' /path/aaa.txt > /path/aaa.txt.tmp If I use a variable, I am not able to use sed command. why? This doesnot work: i=abc j=bk${i} sed -e 's/${i}/${j}/g'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_learner
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

variables and sed

Is it possible to place a variable in a sed command as such? sed 's/ret_Priv()/$var/' <filename> I am doing this under Bourne. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: plslakewood
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Variables with SED

All I am trying to produce the following in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, # IPv4 only #ListenAddress 0.0.0.0 # IPv4 & IPv6 ListenAddress :: to # IPv4 only ListenAddress <user-entry> ListenAddress <user-entry> # IPv4 & IPv6 #ListenAddress :: The number of user entries can vary. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miyoung999
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with variables

Im trying to use sed to print value that matches the value in variable and all lines after that. grep "Something" test.txt | sed -e '/{$variable}/,$b' -e 'd' I cant get it work, if I replace the $variable with the value it contains, it works fine... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: olkkis
10 Replies
DATE(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   DATE(1)

NAME
date -- display or set date and time SYNOPSIS
date [-ajnu] [-d date] [-r seconds] [+format] [[[[[[CC]yy]mm]dd]HH]MM[.SS]] DESCRIPTION
date displays the current date and time when invoked without arguments. Providing arguments will format the date and time in a user-defined way or set the date. Only the superuser may set the date. The options are as follows: -a Use adjtime(2) to change the local system time slowly, maintaining it as a monotonically increasing function. -a implies -n. -d date Parse the provided human-described date and time and display the result without actually changing the system clock. (See parsedate(3) for examples.) -j Parse the provided canonical representation of date and time (described below) and display the result without actually changing the system clock. -n The utility timed(8) is used to synchronize the clocks on groups of machines. By default, if timed is running, date will set the time on all of the machines in the local group. The -n option stops date from setting the time for other than the current machine. -r seconds Print out the date and time that is seconds from the Epoch. -u Display or set the date in UTC (universal) time. An operand with a leading plus (+) sign signals a user-defined format string which specifies the format in which to display the date and time. The format string may contain any of the conversion specifications described in the strftime(3) manual page, as well as any arbitrary text. A <newline> character is always output after the characters specified by the format string. The format string for the default display is: %a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y If an operand does not have a leading plus sign, it is interpreted as a value for setting the system's notion of the current date and time. The canonical representation for setting the date and time is: CC The first two digits of the year (the century). yy The second two digits of the year. If yy is specified, but CC is not, a value for yy between 69 and 99 results in a CC value of 19. Otherwise, a CC value of 20 is used. mm The month of the year, from 01 to 12. dd The day of the month, from 01 to 31. HH The hour of the day, from 00 to 23. MM The minute of the hour, from 00 to 59. SS The second of the minute, from 00 to 61. Everything but the minutes is optional. Time changes for Daylight Saving and Standard time and leap seconds and years are handled automatically. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables affect the execution of date: TZ The timezone to use when displaying dates. See environ(7) for more information. FILES
/etc/localtime Symlink pointing to system's default timezone information file in /usr/share/zoneinfo directory. /var/log/wtmp A record of date resets and time changes. /var/log/messages A record of the user setting the time. EXAMPLES
The command: date '+DATE: %m/%d/%y%nTIME: %H:%M:%S' will display: DATE: 11/21/87 TIME: 13:36:16 The command: date 8506131627 sets the date to ``June 13, 1985, 4:27 PM''. The command: date 1432 sets the time to 2:32 PM, without modifying the date. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 on success, 1 if unable to set the date, and 2 if able to set the local date, but unable to set it globally. Occasionally, when timed(8) synchronizes the time on many hosts, the setting of a new time value may require more than a few seconds. On these occasions, date prints: 'Network time being set'. The message 'Communication error with timed' occurs when the communication between date and timed fails. SEE ALSO
adjtime(2), gettimeofday(2), settimeofday(2), parsedate(3), strftime(3), utmp(5), timed(8) R. Gusella and S. Zatti, TSP: The Time Synchronization Protocol for UNIX 4.3BSD. STANDARDS
The date utility is expected to be compatible with IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). BSD
November 15, 2006 BSD