Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Very urgent!! Cron problems
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Very urgent!! Cron problems Post 1235 by mib on Monday 19th of February 2001 02:44:24 AM
Old 02-19-2001
Didn't you get any warning mail from crontab?

Crontab is designed so that if there are any problems running your program at the specified time, it will send a warning mail to your account.

try the following

First save the current crontab using the command:
crontab -l > cronfile.backup

then edit a new crontab file using vi(or your favourite) which contains only these lines.

# cron testing
* * * * * echo Date is `date` > /dev/console

then load it using..
crontab cronfile

Now cron should run every minute the date command and display it to the console.

This will at least test to see if cron is working.

You may also want to check cron.allow and cron.deny files
man crontab for more details.

and also check /var/log/cron

for your current purpose you can use 'at' command. Although it is not a substitute to cron it will help you untill you resolves your crontab problem.

note: To restore your actual cronfile after testing first remove current cronfile using crontab -r then crontab cronfile.backup

[Edited by mib on 02-19-2001 at 02:47 AM]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cron problems

Hi, I am having a few problems with cron. I have created a shell script (to rotate www logs - this works) and then did the following (as root) #crontab -e 2 0 * * 3 /cron_scripts/wwwlogs.sh ? w ? q # crontab -l entry not shown e.g. it did not show what I had just writern I then... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: warrend
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cron problems

Hi there, this time a have a other problem :) i will start a script over the cron. if i start the script manual (per command) it works without any problems, but over the cron it doesent work. my cron looks like this: 26 15 * * * /path/scriptname.sh 2> /path/error.log there is no... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotty
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Schedule job using cron(URGENT)

Hello All, I m newbie to Job scheduling. Suppose i have 2 files s1.sh and s2.sh i want to make a schedule such as run s1.sh at 2AM everyday and run s2.sh 9Pm everyday. Can anyone tell me how to schdule that using CRON and i want to know what is CRON and CRONTAB. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.sadani19
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing problems when FTPING file from server to local (Very Urgent)

Hi, when i am trying to FTP one file (test.txt) from Unix server to my local machine then i am getting the following error, as shown below ftp> binary 200 Type set to I. ftp> put C:\FTP\test.txt C:FTPtest.txt: No such file or directory ftp> The red color text is the error. Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunitachoudhury
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems in generating the mail from cron -- very urgent help me

Hi, I wrote a script which generates a mail automatically under certain condition. When i execute the script manually in unix the script is getting executed and the condition works accordingly and the mail is also generated. But when it is pu into cron the mail is not generated and the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thiru_cs
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cron job problem(urgent)

Hey all. Im totally new with makeing websites ect The thing is, i wanted to make one of those pimp games, so i installed a script called mypimpscript.. it works but the 10mins cron jobs dont... ive tried to set it up in cpanel, but im doing it wrong :S right now it looks like this php... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: princess
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems using rsync with cron

Hi, I've created a cron job for a script with a rsync command in it. The script is named pull.sh and contains the following line : What it is supposed to do is pull backup files from the production server of my company to my local server. It should also generate the log file (output.log)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cron problems

I am trying to setup a cron that runs a script to update my ip for my domain name every time I reboot and checks if my ip changes every 5 minutes and if it does then I update it. I am running Ubuntu server 12.04. The file /etc/cron.d/ipupdate contains # # # Run ipupdate # # /5 * ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bros2
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problems with cron

I am new to creating crontab file , i just wrote below (40 19 * 3 * /root/maths/practisecron.sh), the script just prints "Hi". When ever i save the above file i am getting this . # crontab -e crontab: installing new crontab Can you please check where it went wrong.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vkiyv05
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Problems with set up Cron

Hi I want to set up a cron for every 15 minutes between some hours. Can you tell whether the below command will work. Getting confuse because my time goes from night to next day morning. i want to setup 8 PM to next day 10 AM. */15 20-10 * * * sh abc.sh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raju2016
1 Replies
CRONTAB(1)							   User Commands							CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab - maintains crontab files for individual users SYNOPSIS
crontab [-u user] file crontab [-u user] [-l | -r | -e] [-i] [-s] crontab -n [ hostname ] crontab -c DESCRIPTION
Crontab is the program used to install, remove or list the tables used to serve the cron(8) daemon. Each user can have their own crontab, and though these are files in /var/spool/, they are not intended to be edited directly. For SELinux in MLS mode, you can define more crontabs for each range. For more information, see selinux(8). In this version of Cron it is possible to use a network-mounted shared /var/spool/cron across a cluster of hosts and specify that only one of the hosts should run the crontab jobs in the particular directory at any one time. You may also use crontab(1) from any of these hosts to edit the same shared set of crontab files, and to set and query which host should run the crontab jobs. Running cron jobs can be allowed or disallowed for different users. For this purpose, use the cron.allow and cron.deny files. If the cron.allow file exists, a user must be listed in it to be allowed to use cron If the cron.allow file does not exist but the cron.deny file does exist, then a user must not be listed in the cron.deny file in order to use cron. If neither of these files exists, only the super user is allowed to use cron. Another way to restrict access to cron is to use PAM authentication in /etc/security/access.conf to set up users, which are allowed or disallowed to use crontab or modify system cron jobs in the /etc/cron.d/ directory. The temporary directory can be set in an environment variable. If it is not set by the user, the /tmp directory is used. OPTIONS
-u Appends the name of the user whose crontab is to be modified. If this option is not used, crontab examines "your" crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(8) may confuse crontab, thus, when executing commands under su(8) you should always use the -u option. If no crontab exists for a particular user, it is created for him the first time the crontab -u command is used under his username. -l Displays the current crontab on standard output. -r Removes the current crontab. -e Edits the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. -i This option modifies the -r option to prompt the user for a 'y/Y' response before actually removing the crontab. -s Appends the current SELinux security context string as an MLS_LEVEL setting to the crontab file before editing / replacement occurs - see the documentation of MLS_LEVEL in crontab(5). -n This option is relevant only if cron(8) was started with the -c option, to enable clustering support. It is used to set the host in the cluster which should run the jobs specified in the crontab files in the /var/spool/cron directory. If a hostname is supplied, the host whose hostname returned by gethostname(2) matches the supplied hostname, will be selected to run the selected cron jobs subsequently. If there is no host in the cluster matching the supplied hostname, or you explicitly specify an empty hostname, then the selected jobs will not be run at all. If the hostname is omitted, the name of the local host returned by gethostname(2) is used. Using this option has no effect on the /etc/crontab file and the files in the /etc/cron.d directory, which are always run, and considered host-specific. For more information on clustering support, see cron(8). -c This option is only relevant if cron(8) was started with the -c option, to enable clustering support. It is used to query which host in the cluster is currently set to run the jobs specified in the crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron , as set using the -n option. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), cron(8) FILES
/etc/cron.allow /etc/cron.deny STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std1003.2-1992 (``POSIX''). This new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. DIAGNOSTICS
An informative usage message appears if you run a crontab with a faulty command defined in it. AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org> Colin Dean <colin@colin-dean.org> cronie 2012-11-22 CRONTAB(1)