Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Descriptors
Top Forums Programming File Descriptors Post 12278 by Perderabo on Monday 24th of December 2001 09:49:14 AM
Old 12-24-2001
I don't know any portable way for a process to find out the number of files it has open.

But consider this case...I open 16 files and allocate fd 0 through fd 15. Then I close fd 0 through fd 14. This leaves only fd 15 open. If you could magically find out that only one file is open, how would that help you? You still don't know which fd to close.

The shell will allocate fd 0, 1, and 2 and pass these to you. Your program should keep track of which files it opens.

If you have lost track of want files are open, the only thing I can suggest to do a getrlimit() to obtain the highest possible fd that could ever be allocated. Then close all possible fd's. The close call will fail if the file is not open, so you just ignore that error.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Descriptors

Hello all, A few questions on file descriptors ... scenario : Sun Ultra 30 with Sun OS 5.5.1 , E250 with Solaris 2.6 In one of my servers, the file descriptor status from the soft limit and hard limits are 64 and 1024 respectively for root user. Is the soft limit (64) represents the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shibz
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file descriptors

i m trying to learn processes in unix and i've been reading this but i don't quite get it. its regarding file descriptors. : each is a part of file pointers, they point to another area. indexes into an Operating system maintained table called "file descriptor table". one table per process. may... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple co-processor file descriptors

I have a script that creates a KSH co-process for Oracle sqlplus and I am presently interacting with it via print -p and read -p. I also need to interact with another Oracle database what isn't permitted to have any direct connection to the first. Presently, I simply disconnect from the first... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmarikle
10 Replies

4. Programming

Sockets and File descriptors

I am in a Systems programming class this semester, and our current project is to write a program utilizing sockets and fork. For the project, I decided to make my own instant messaging program. I have the code completed, but I have a problem that keeps old clients from communicating with new... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gstlouis
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Descriptors + cron

Hi All, This thread is going to be a discussion basically bringing out more information from the experts on cron jobs and the associated file handles. So, here is the question. There is definitely a constant ' n ' as the maximum number of file handles alloted to a process ' p '. Will... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to list the files using File Descriptors

hello, I have written a script named listall.sh with the following codes init. #!/bin/bash PATH="/proj/cmon/$1" echo $PATH if ; then echo "Usage: $0 ***" exit 1 else ls -l $PATH/*.sc fi Here there are 3 subdirectories (namely - src, data and jobs)under /proj/cmon, so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyjuezy
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Write/read to file descriptors

Is it possible to write to file descriptor 0 and read from 1 or 2? How could this be implemented? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machshev
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

exec and file descriptors

Hi, I speak and write english more or less, so I hope my asking be clear. :) In the company I am working, they are using control-m software to lunch shell scripts. So i put this command in all shell scripts: export LOGFILE_tmp=$PRODUC_DATA/tmp/${SCRIPT}_${PAIS}_`date... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anamcara
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Semaphores and File Descriptors

What is the difference between a file descriptor and a semaphore? My basic understanding is: - a file descriptor is a small positive integer that the system uses instead of the file name to identify an open file or socket. - a semaphore is a variable with a value that indicates the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mr_Webster
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Questions about file descriptors

Hi, I'm playing with KSH I entered following command in terminal { echo "stdout" >&1; echo "stderr" >&2; } > out And I get only stoud in a new file out. My question is: Where did my stderr vanish ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
5 Replies
closefrom(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					     closefrom(3C)

NAME
closefrom, fdwalk - close or iterate over open file descriptors SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> void closefrom(int lowfd); int fdwalk(int (*func)(void *, int), void *cd); DESCRIPTION
The closefrom() function calls close(2) on all open file descriptors greater than or equal to lowfd. The effect of closefrom(lowfd) is the same as the code #include <sys/resource.h> struct rlimit rl; int i; getrlimit(RLIMIT_NOFILE, &rl); for (i = lowfd; i < rl.rlim_max; i++) (void) close(i); except that close() is called only on file descriptors that are actually open, not on every possible file descriptor greater than or equal to lowfd, and close() is also called on any open file descriptors greater than or equal to rl.rlim_max (and lowfd), should any exist. The fdwalk() function first makes a list of all currently open file descriptors. Then for each file descriptor in the list, it calls the user-defined function, func(cd, fd), passing it the pointer to the callback data, cd, and the value of the file descriptor from the list, fd. The list is processed in file descriptor value order, lowest numeric value first. If func() returns a non-zero value, the iteration over the list is terminated and fdwalk() returns the non-zero value returned by func(). Otherwise, fdwalk() returns 0 after having called func() for every file descriptor in the list. The fdwalk() function can be used for fine-grained control over the closing of file descriptors. For example, the closefrom() function can be implemented as: static int close_func(void *lowfdp, int fd) { if (fd >= *(int *)lowfdp) (void) close(fd); return(0); } void closefrom(int lowfd) { (void) fdwalk(close_func, &lowfd); } The fdwalk() function can then be used to count the number of open files in the process. RETURN VALUES
No return value is defined for closefrom(). If close() fails for any of the open file descriptors, the error is ignored and the file descriptors whose close() operation failed might remain open on return from closefrom(). The fdwalk() function returns the return value of the last call to the callback function func(), or 0 if func() is never called (no open files). ERRORS
No errors are defined. The closefrom() and fdwalk() functions do not set errno but errno can be set by close() or by another function called by the callback function, func(). FILES
/proc/self/fd directory (list of open files) USAGE
The act of closing all open file descriptors should be performed only as the first action of a daemon process. Closing file descriptors that are in use elsewhere in the current process normally leads to disastrous results. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
close(2), getrlimit(2), proc(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 27 Apr 2000 closefrom(3C)