Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX on MacOS X
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users UNIX on MacOS X Post 12250 by ncmathsadist on Saturday 22nd of December 2001 04:01:07 PM
Old 12-22-2001
Question UNIX on MacOS X

I am interested in knowing if anyone out there has been using the BSD UNIX that underlies
MacOS X. Is this an "industrial strength" version of UNIX? Can I run X-Windows on such
a machine? How about TeXing, pythoning, PERLing or using other useful UNIX goodies
near and dear to my shrunken heart? I would be interested in your insights out there,
teeming millions!!

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vuze/MacOS X: Too many open files

1) How can I stop Vuze from reporting the following error: "Too many open files" ? 2) What directory do I need to be in to effectively utilize this command: sudo bash -c 'ulimit -n 8192; sudo -u username ./azureus' ? 3) Is this the maximum number of files that I can allot to Vuze on OS X... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JFraser1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Memory leak with awk on MacOs

Dear all, I use awk quite a bit for data wrangling ... today I find weird behavior that I cannot wrap my head around. if I execute the following command (simplified to illustrate the behavior ... nothing to do with the real command) bash-3.2$ awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: comm|getline
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX tool on MacOS that can increase resolution of a file

hi, I am searching for a native tool on MacOS that can increase the resolution of a group of image files whose aspect ratios (file width versus height) vary widely. There are numerous files so I don't wish to do this manually. Someone suggested the sips command with the resampling option but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Godtookapicture
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Macos is the UNIX?

why,just beacuse that its the bottom layer uses a small amount of bsd code? In my opinion, macos and Unix are completely different. The directories are long directory structures. For example, /application, /system, /user, /volumes, etc. are completely different from the traditional /bin/ /sbin... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaizhichun
5 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

MacOS 10.15 Catalina Crashes and Freezes on Boot

Sadly, I have turned off my access to the Apple Developers Beta program after installing macOS 10.15 Catalina a few days ago. After the install, I rebooted by MacBook Air and it "hard froze" and we were heading out of town so I grabbed a backup MBA running Mojave. Then, after getting back at... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
10 Replies

6. Programming

Campimeter.sh for macOS

Hi Neo... This is me too except for the attention span. As soon as I find a solution to something I let others better it. And as for doing something different I have done some bizarre stuff on here... <wink> /Me awaits the mickey take... ;oD OT: Here is a small snippet for a terminal window... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
3 Replies
Net::Server::Proto::UNIX(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			     Net::Server::Proto::UNIX(3pm)

NAME
Net::Server::Proto::UNIX - Net::Server UNIX protocol. SYNOPSIS
See Net::Server::Proto. DESCRIPTION
Protocol module for Net::Server. This module implements the UNIX SOCK_STREAM socket type. See Net::Server::Proto. Any sockets created during startup will be chown'ed to the user and group specified in the starup arguments. PARAMETERS
The following paramaters may be specified in addition to normal command line parameters for a Net::Server. See Net::Server for more information on reading arguments. unix_type Can be either SOCK_STREAM or SOCK_DGRAM (default is SOCK_STREAM). This can also be passed on the port line (see Net::Server::Proto). However, this method is deprecated. If you want SOCK_STREAM - just use proto UNIX without any other arguments. If you'd like SOCK_DGRAM, use the new proto UNIXDGRAM. METHODS
NS_unix_path/NS_unix_type In addition to the standard NS_ methods of Net::Server::Proto classes, the UNIX types also have legacy calls to NS_unix_path and NS_unix_type. Since version 2.000, NS_unix_path is simply an alias to NS_port. NS_unix_type is now redundant with NS_proto. These methods were missing between version 2.000 and 2.003 but have been returned as legacy bridges. QUICK PARAMETER LIST
Key Value Default # deprecated UNIX socket parameters unix_type (SOCK_STREAM|SOCK_DGRAM) SOCK_STREAM port "filename" undef # more recent usage port "filename / UNIX" port "filename / UNIXDGRAM" LICENCE
Distributed under the same terms as Net::Server perl v5.14.2 2012-06-06 Net::Server::Proto::UNIX(3pm)