Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Zombie Files on a HP-UX
Top Forums Programming Zombie Files on a HP-UX Post 12219 by Perderabo on Friday 21st of December 2001 09:43:35 AM
Old 12-21-2001
I basicly agree with WayneYang. Every time you see a zombie on ps, look at the ppid field to find the parent program that is ignoring the death of its children. That program really has a bug and it should be fixed. And if you kill that parent, init will inherit the zombies and reap them.

But there is nothing wrong with ignoring SIGCHLD. Lots of well behaved programs simply issue the wait() call at the proper time.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zombie process

How do i kill a zombie process. Is it that only root can kill a zombie process. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: orca
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zombie program

When you run a ps -ef and if the status is a Z (zombie) does that mean the same as not responding? (Like a windows machine). Also has anyone here heard of the program called 'top' (I've found it on our Solaris 7 machines) If you have you might be able to help me. I need to know if there is a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Zombie process

I would like to create a zombie process so that I can test monitoring software functionality. Any techniques? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swhitney
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zombie process

Hi I need help because I don't know if it is possible to add a find inside a cat. like I have a file with the pid of the process that use to became zombie. And I have the same pid stored in the var (pid1) now, I have no clue how to check if the the find finds the pid or even if it's... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruben.rodrigues
2 Replies

5. Solaris

zombie process

dear friends, in an interview they asked me what is zombie process. how we can identifying these process.if can you kill all zombie process. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sijocg
8 Replies

6. AIX

zombie process

Is there an equivilant to the preap command in AIX that would allow me to get rid of a zombie process. I am new to AIX, moving over from Solaris and in the past I have been able to preap the pid on the defunct process to clean them up. I have looked around and the best I can see is that it may... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sboots
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is zombie , how to kill it ,

Hello I try to googled it , but I dint get sufficient answer :( .. When I can see zombie running on server do they consume system resources or not ? I have read that is not good to kill them with signal 9 cause it might cause more troubles .. why is kill -9 so harmfull? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvok
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Zombie process

What is the overhead associated with zombie process?Is it running out of process-ID?:confused: Since some information is stored in process table.. Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jois
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

zombie

Hi, Linux redhat 5.5 top shows that i have 20 zombie process : Tasks: 357 total, 1 running, 336 sleeping, 0 stopped, 20 zombie Cpu(s): 0.2%us, 0.3%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.5%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st Mem: 24949400k total, 2363052k used, 22586348k free, 227084k buffers... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
1 Replies

10. Programming

Zombie in C

hello all, when we are creating a process by using fork, if the child process terminates before parent, the child process exists as zombie.. My doubt is when that child process terminates, how come that process exists further and show as a zombie process..can anyone help me to clear about this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aarathy
1 Replies
BACKUP_DBVERIFY(8)					       AFS Command Reference						BACKUP_DBVERIFY(8)

NAME
backup_dbverify - Checks the integrity of the Backup Database SYNOPSIS
backup dbverify [-detail] [-localauth] [-cell <cell name>] [-help] backup db [-d] [-l] [-c <cell name>] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup dbverify command checks the integrity of the Backup Database. The command's output indicates whether the Backup Database is damaged (data is corrupted) or not. If the Backup Database is undamaged, it is safe to continue using it. If it is corrupted, discontinue any backup operations until it is repaired. CAUTIONS
While this command runs, no other backup operation can access the Backup Database; the other commands do not run until this command completes. Avoid issuing this command when other backup operations are likely to run. The backup savedb command repairs some types of corruption. OPTIONS
-detail Reports the number of orphaned blocks found, any inconsistencies, and the name of the server machine running the Backup Server that is checking its copy of the database. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more details, see backup(8). -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The command displays one of the following two messages: Database OK The database is undamaged and can be used. Database not OK The database is damaged. You can use the backup savedb command to repair many kinds of corruption as it creates a backup copy. For more detailed instructions, see the OpenAFS Administration Guide chapter about performing backup operations. The -detail flag provides additional information: o The number of orphan blocks found. These are ranges of memory that the Backup Server preallocated in the database but cannot use. Orphan blocks do not interfere with database access, but do waste disk space. To free the unusable space, dump the database to tape by using the backup savedb command, and then restore it by using the backup restoredb command. o Any inconsistencies in the database, such as invalid hostnames for Tape Coordinator machines. o The name of the database server machine on which the Backup Database was checked, designated as the "Database checker". For a detailed trace of the verification operation, see the /var/log/openafs/BackupLog file on the indicated machine. You can use the bos getlog command to display it. EXAMPLES
The following command confirms that the Backup Database is undamaged: % backup dbverify Database OK The following command confirms that the Backup Database is undamaged and that it has no orphan blocks or invalid Tape Coordinator entries. The Backup Server running on the machine "db1.abc.com" checked its copy of the Database. % backup dbverify -detail Database OK Orphan blocks 0 Database checker was db1.abc.com PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on every machine where the Backup Server is running, or must be logged onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. SEE ALSO
BackupLog(5), backup(8), backup_restoredb(8), backup_savedb(8), bos_getlog(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_DBVERIFY(8)