Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Zombie Files on a HP-UX
Top Forums Programming Zombie Files on a HP-UX Post 12219 by Perderabo on Friday 21st of December 2001 09:43:35 AM
Old 12-21-2001
I basicly agree with WayneYang. Every time you see a zombie on ps, look at the ppid field to find the parent program that is ignoring the death of its children. That program really has a bug and it should be fixed. And if you kill that parent, init will inherit the zombies and reap them.

But there is nothing wrong with ignoring SIGCHLD. Lots of well behaved programs simply issue the wait() call at the proper time.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zombie process

How do i kill a zombie process. Is it that only root can kill a zombie process. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: orca
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zombie program

When you run a ps -ef and if the status is a Z (zombie) does that mean the same as not responding? (Like a windows machine). Also has anyone here heard of the program called 'top' (I've found it on our Solaris 7 machines) If you have you might be able to help me. I need to know if there is a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Zombie process

I would like to create a zombie process so that I can test monitoring software functionality. Any techniques? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swhitney
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zombie process

Hi I need help because I don't know if it is possible to add a find inside a cat. like I have a file with the pid of the process that use to became zombie. And I have the same pid stored in the var (pid1) now, I have no clue how to check if the the find finds the pid or even if it's... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruben.rodrigues
2 Replies

5. Solaris

zombie process

dear friends, in an interview they asked me what is zombie process. how we can identifying these process.if can you kill all zombie process. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sijocg
8 Replies

6. AIX

zombie process

Is there an equivilant to the preap command in AIX that would allow me to get rid of a zombie process. I am new to AIX, moving over from Solaris and in the past I have been able to preap the pid on the defunct process to clean them up. I have looked around and the best I can see is that it may... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sboots
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is zombie , how to kill it ,

Hello I try to googled it , but I dint get sufficient answer :( .. When I can see zombie running on server do they consume system resources or not ? I have read that is not good to kill them with signal 9 cause it might cause more troubles .. why is kill -9 so harmfull? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvok
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Zombie process

What is the overhead associated with zombie process?Is it running out of process-ID?:confused: Since some information is stored in process table.. Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jois
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

zombie

Hi, Linux redhat 5.5 top shows that i have 20 zombie process : Tasks: 357 total, 1 running, 336 sleeping, 0 stopped, 20 zombie Cpu(s): 0.2%us, 0.3%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.5%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st Mem: 24949400k total, 2363052k used, 22586348k free, 227084k buffers... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
1 Replies

10. Programming

Zombie in C

hello all, when we are creating a process by using fork, if the child process terminates before parent, the child process exists as zombie.. My doubt is when that child process terminates, how come that process exists further and show as a zombie process..can anyone help me to clear about this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aarathy
1 Replies
PROC_COMPARE(3) 					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					   PROC_COMPARE(3)

NAME
proc_compare -- compare two processes' interactivity LIBRARY
System Utilities Library (libutil, -lutil) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/sysctl.h> int proc_compare(const struct kinfo_proc2 *p1, const struct kinfo_lwp *l1, const struct kinfo_proc2 *p2, const struct kinfo_lwp *l2); DESCRIPTION
The proc_compare() function compares two processes that are on the same terminal for their interactivity. This means that the process returned is the one that has a better chance being the active foreground process on that tty. This algorithm is used in the kernel for SIGINFO reporting and in userland by w(1). The algorithm used is as follows: o If one of them is runnable, it is preferred. o If both are runnable, the one with the largest CPU percent is preferred. o In a CPU percent tie, the one started more recently wins. o If none are runnable, and one of them is a zombie, the non-zombie is preferred o If both are zombies, the one started more recently wins. o If neither is a zombie, the one with the smaller sleep time wins. o In a tie, and one is sleeping in non-interruptible sleep, prefer that one. o If both are in the same state, the one started more recently is preferred. In all cases where the most recently started wins, if there was no winner, the one with the largest PID wins. RETURN VALUES
The proc_compare() function returns 0 if p1 is to be preferred and 1 if p2 is to be preferred. SEE ALSO
w(1) HISTORY
The proc_compare() was extracted from src/sys/kern/tty.c and src/usr.bin/w/proc_compare.c and merged in NetBSD 6.0. BSD
October 20, 2011 BSD