Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ridiculous resolution in Xwindows Post 12145 by LivinFree on Thursday 20th of December 2001 03:37:58 AM
Old 12-20-2001
What video card do you have? I had a problem once with a cheap on-board setup that would ONLY run with Windows... Same things happened to me.

By Linux 7.1, I assume you mean Redhat or a derivitave... Type Xconfigurator in text mode - it'll save you the trouble of re-installing every time you want to try a new X setting. Then it starts up Xtest for you, and you can choose to go back to Xconfigurator.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Xwindows/ Xdaemon? help

I have Oracle 8i, running Slackware...I have "X-win32" on my Win2k box, but when I installed Slackware I didn't install the GUI's... Isn't there a xdaemon or something of the sort that I must install first ? So when my Win2K box queries the UNIX box it picks up and says "Hi, gimme GUI" heh.. Any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ComTec
4 Replies

2. IP Networking

login using xwindows

Is there a way to find out who is logged in to the system using Xwindows ( hummingbird).. I tried using finger and last it doesn't show the person logged in .. but when i run ps -ef | grep "ip address' it show various process running on the system.. Moreover is there a way to log off the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajnabi
2 Replies

3. Linux

XWindows

I have written some Xwindows files would like to know how to compile them tried this command gcc -o main main.o -lXt -lX11 gives errors like could not find Xt & X11 help please (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wojtyla
5 Replies

4. AIX

Xwindows on a HMC

I have a HMC version 5.2, The HMC controls 4 lpars. I would like to install the powerchute on the HMC and have it be the master control to shutdown each of the lpars and the VIO server in order so no harm is done to the VIO server. AIX version 5.3 64bit My problem is i have to install... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pagink
5 Replies

5. Linux

Xwindows

i m working on a project of making linux boot and run from a pendrive. I have got a minimal root filesystem with busybox. I wish to install X Server now. I downloaded the source tar balls, untarred them on the host system, used the default host.def issued commands $make WORLDOPTS=-k World >&... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amu
0 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Xwindows

i m working on a project of making linux boot and run from a pendrive. I have got a minimal root filesystem with busybox. I wish to install X Server now. I downloaded the source tar balls, untarred them on the host system, used the default host.def issued commands $make WORLDOPTS=-k World >&... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amu
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Xwindows not working

Hi I am trying to run a program on a solaris bx that requires an xwindow. I have exceed running and X11 forwarding enabled in putty I sent my display but the output is can't open display. To connect to the server I ssh to a jump host and ssh to the server and then su to root. Could this have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naddy
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Xwindows in unix

the question i have is why Xwindows(GUI) is not part of kernel level but part of user level in unix while in windows the GUI (Windows manager) it is part of kernel level. For one thing is when GUI hangs it does not crash the whole system as in Windows But windows avoids context... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandesh.syr
0 Replies

9. Solaris

XWindows from Solaris 8

Hi everyone, I have an xwindow problem I could use a hand with. I have a solaris 8 installation (a container actually, within solaris 10). I seem to not be able to open any xwindows over ssh. It comes about when trying to install oracle. When ssh'd to the solaris 8, Oracle's runInstaller... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodvikings
3 Replies
set_display_switch_mode(3alleg4)				  Allegro manual				  set_display_switch_mode(3alleg4)

NAME
set_display_switch_mode - Tells Allegro how the program handles background switching. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> int set_display_switch_mode(int mode); DESCRIPTION
Sets how the program should handle being switched into the background, if the user tabs away from it. Not all of the possible modes will be supported by every graphics driver on every platform. The available modes are: SWITCH_NONE Disables switching. This is the default in single-tasking systems like DOS. It may be supported on other platforms, but you should use it with caution, because your users won't be impressed if they want to switch away from your program, but you don't let them! SWITCH_PAUSE Pauses the program whenever it is in the background. Execution will be resumed as soon as the user switches back to it. This is the default in most fullscreen multitasking environments, for example the Linux console, but not under Windows. SWITCH_AMNESIA Like SWITCH_PAUSE, but this mode doesn't bother to remember the contents of video memory, so the screen, and any video bitmaps that you have created, will be erased after the user switches away and then back to your program. This is not a terribly useful mode to have, but it is the default for the fullscreen drivers under Windows because DirectDraw is too dumb to implement anything better. SWITCH_BACKGROUND The program will carry on running in the background, with the screen bitmap temporarily being pointed at a memory buffer for the fullscreen drivers. You must take special care when using this mode, because bad things will happen if the screen bitmap gets changed around when your program isn't expecting it (see below). SWITCH_BACKAMNESIA Like SWITCH_BACKGROUND, but this mode doesn't bother to remember the contents of video memory (see SWITCH_AMNESIA). It is again the only mode supported by the fullscreen drivers under Windows that lets the program keep running in the background. Note that you should be very careful when you are using graphics routines in the switching context: you must always call acquire_screen() before the start of any drawing code onto the screen and not release it until you are completely finished, because the automatic locking mechanism may not be good enough to work when the program runs in the background or has just been raised in the foreground. RETURN VALUE
Returns zero on success, invalidating at the same time all callbacks previously registered with set_display_switch_callback(). Returns -1 if the requested mode is not currently possible. SEE ALSO
set_display_switch_callback(3alleg4), get_display_switch_mode(3alleg4), exmidi(3alleg4), exswitch(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 set_display_switch_mode(3alleg4)