Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep -v -f xxxxxxx
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep -v -f xxxxxxx Post 12030 by peter.herlihy on Monday 17th of December 2001 05:48:36 PM
Old 12-17-2001
Network grep -v -f xxxxxxx

I've got the code below. It does it's job but it's scrappy. Can someone explain why grep -v -f doesn't work against an empty file?

Basically I have a file of presumed good data - I want to remove any by comparing with a file I know are bad. When the bad file is empty - the output file is also empty. It's weird.

Works fine when the bad file has some data - so you'll see the cheap hack fix I've put in.

if [ -s tmp.merge.nos ]
then
join -t, -v 1 tmp.both tmp.req.merges | sed 's/=/,/' | grep -v -f tmp.merge.nos > $infile.ready
else
join -t, -v 1 tmp.both tmp.req.merges | sed 's/=/,/' > $infile.ready
fi

Maybe comm would be better - but I'd like to know why it doesn't work anyway (grep -v -f). CheersSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else

Hi Guys, I need to set the value of $7 to zero in case $7 is NULL. I've tried the below command but doesn't work. Any ideas. thanks guys. MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else { print $7}}' ` Harby. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariza
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep - Can I use grep to return a string with exactly n matches?

Hello, I looking to use grep to return a string with exactly n matches. I'm building off this: ls -aLl /bin | grep '^.\{9\}x' | tr -s ' ' -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 vi -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 view -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16008 May 25 2008... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1 | advanced regex syntax

Hello, I'm working on unix with grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1. I'm going through some of the newer regex syntax using Regular Expression Reference - Advanced Syntax a guide. ls -aLl /bin | grep "\(x\)" Which works, just highlights 'x' where ever, when ever. I'm trying to to get (?:) to work but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for certain files using a file as input to grep and then move

Hi All, I need to grep few files which has words like the below in the file name , which i want to put it in a file and and grep for the files which contain these names and move it to a new directory , full file name -C20091210.1000-20091210.1100_SMGBSC3:1000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anita07
2 Replies

5. AIX

"fuser -c -k /XXX/XXXXXXX" Fails and stuck on AIX 6100-05-01-1016

Hi I was wondering if anybody has come across in a failure of fuser command. We have a backup script that is: fuser -c -k /XXX/XXXXXXX sync;sync umount /XXX/XXXXXXX/ backup -0 -f /dev/rmt0.1 -u /dev/XXXXXXXlv mount /XXX/XXXXXXX/ sync;sync The script is called from crontab via an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggovotsis
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Advanced grep'in... grep for data next to static element.

I have a directory I need to grep which consists of numbered sub directories. The sub directory names change daily. A file resides in this main directory that shows which sub directories are FULL backups or INCREMENTAL backups. My goal is to grep the directory for the word "full" and then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SysAdm2
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK/GREP: grep only lines starting with integer

I have an input file 12.4 1.72849432773174e+01 -7.74784188610632e+01 12.5 9.59432114416327e-01 -7.87018212757537e+01 15.6 5.20139995965960e-01 -5.61612429666624e+01 29.3 3.76696387248366e+00 -7.42896194101892e+01 32.1 1.86899877018077e+01 -7.56508762501408e+01 35 6.98857157014640e+00... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash - CLI - grep - Passing result to grep through pipe

Hello. I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name are exactly 2 characters long and not more than 2 characters and begin with "nv" lsmod | (e)grep '^nv???????????? I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name begin with "nv" and are 2 to 7 characters long ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping grep into awk, read the next line using grep

Hi, I have a number of files containing the information below. """"" Fundallinfo 6.3950 14.9715 14.0482 """"" I would like to grep for Fundallinfo and use it to read the next line? I ideally would like to read the three numbers that follow in the next line and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Moghadam
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l`

i have this line of code that looks for the same file if it is currently running and returns the count. `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l` basically it is assigned to a variable ISRUNNING=`ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
6 Replies
cdbmake(1)						      General Commands Manual							cdbmake(1)

NAME
cdbmake - create a constant database SYNOPSIS
cdbmake cdb cdb.tmp DESCRIPTION
cdbmake reads a series of encoded records from its standard input and writes a constant database to cdb. cdbmake ensures that cdb is updated atomically, so programs reading cdb never have to wait for cdbmake to finish. It does this by first writing the database to cdb.tmp and then moving cdb.tmp on top of cdb. If cdb.tmp already exists, it is destroyed. The directories con- taining cdb.tmp and cdb must be writable to cdbmake; they must also be on the same filesystem. cdbmake always makes sure that cdb.tmp is safely written to disk before it replaces cdb. If the input is in a bad format or if cdbmake has any trouble writing cdb.tmp to disk, cdbmake complains and leaves cdb alone. RECORD FORMAT Records are indexed by keys. A key is a string. cdb is structured so that another program, starting from a key, can quickly find the rel- evant record. cdbmake allows several records with the same key, although most readers take only the first record, and cdbmake slows down somewhat if there are many records with the same key. cdbmake and cdbdump(1) preserve the order of records. A record is encoded for cdbmake as +klen,dlen:key->data followed by a newline. Here klen is the number of bytes in key and dlen is the number of bytes in data. The end of data is indicated by an extra newline. For example: +3,5:one->Hello +3,7:two->Goodbye key and data may contain any characters, including colons, dashes, newlines, and nulls. Keys and data do not have to fit into memory. A database cannot exceed 4 gigabytes. cdb is portable across machines. SEE ALSO
cdbdump(1), cdbget(1), cdbstats(1) cdbmake(1)