Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Reading input to create a variable in a script? Post 11939 by darthur on Friday 14th of December 2001 11:19:26 AM
Old 12-14-2001
_r€d

_r€d,

So the difference between using any given string name and using $REPLY is that REPLY doesn't set a variable?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading Input in a Script

#!/usr/bin/sh echo "Enter reason:" echo "> \c" read $reason $reason >> access.log This doesnt work for me. Can someone tell me how I would read the input from what the person types, and then append that to the log file? Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alwayslearningunix
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for reading an input file

#!/bin/sh rpt="/export/home/legato/rpt_offsite"/test_eject.tape cat <$rpt while read line do echo $line perform routine done I am trying to read the contents of this file line by line and perform a routine for each line read. The file contents are numbers.. What is wrong with my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gzs553
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Multiple files by reading a input file and changing the contents

Being new to this area .I have been assigned a task which i am unable to do . Can any one please help me . Hi I have requirement where i have input file XYZ_111_999_YYYYMMDD_1.TXT and with header and series of Numbers and Footer. I want to create a mutiple output files with each file having a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargavkr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading content of a variable to create a new one?

Hello. I've written up a script, that populates a variable with a list of tapes returned from my library. For example: 701940L3,701941L3,701942L3,701943L3,701944L3,701945L3,701946L3,701947L3,701948L3 So now, the variable "TAPELIST" contains those numbers, delimited by commas. I'd like to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a File and Using as an Input variable

I need to know how the the string constant from Input File should be read and provide as input data for the script . INPUT FILE CONST VARIABLE myname=/root/dir/syslog/myname1 myname=/root/dir/syslog/myname2 myname=/root/dir/syslog/myname3 urname=/root/dir/syslog/urname1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baraghun
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script - reading input lines

Can I do something like, if($0==/^int.*$/) { print "Declaration" } for an input like: int a=5; If the syntax is right, it is not working for me, but I am not sure about the syntax. Please help. Thanks, Prasanna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SH] Problem reading input in script

Alright, so the goal of my script is to read text from standard input and store it into a file using the ex-editor: so far i've got this, but it doesn't work. #!/bin/s read text ex $1 >> HERE text HERE I don't get any errors either, so i don't know what i'm doing wrong. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bertieboy7
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script Not Reading Input Files Correctly

This is one of the strangest things that's happening to me. I'm writing a new Perl script that is trying to read a file. The file is originally in .mof format, but I also saved the contents into a .txt file. As a simple test, I wrote this: #!/user/bin/perl -w use strict; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kooshi
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to develop a script to create a report reading multiple server logs

I am currently trying to develop a script to connect to mulltiple servers, reading specifc data from log files on the servers and append the data from each file into a single tab delimited row. So, at the end I am planning to have a report with all the extracted data with each row per server. I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptingnewbie
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading CLI input for script

I've always written scripts where the user executes the script and I prompt them for what they want to do. But I'm trying to write a script where root executes the script 'lock' or its hard-link 'unlock' and the script will passwd -l or passwd -u an account depending on the choice. What would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ADay2Long
3 Replies
ARPING(8)						 System Manager's Manual: iputils						 ARPING(8)

NAME
arping - send ARP REQUEST to a neighbour host SYNOPSIS
arping [ -AbDfhqUV] [ -c count] [ -w deadline] [ -s source] -I interface destination DESCRIPTION
Ping destination on device interface by ARP packets, using source address source. OPTIONS
-A The same as -U, but ARP REPLY packets used instead of ARP REQUEST. -b Send only MAC level broadcasts. Normally arping starts from sending broadcast, and switch to unicast after reply received. -c count Stop after sending count ARP REQUEST packets. With deadline option, arping waits for count ARP REPLY packets, until the timeout expires. -D Duplicate address detection mode (DAD). See RFC2131, 4.4.1. Returns 0, if DAD succeeded i.e. no replies are received -f Finish after the first reply confirming that target is alive. -I interface Name of network device where to send ARP REQUEST packets. This option is required. -h Print help page and exit. -q Quiet output. Nothing is displayed. -s source IP source address to use in ARP packets. If this option is absent, source address is: o In DAD mode (with option -D) set to 0.0.0.0. o In Unsolicited ARP mode (with options -U or -A) set to destination. o Otherwise, it is calculated from routing tables. -U Unsolicited ARP mode to update neighbours' ARP caches. No replies are expected. -V Print version of the program and exit. -w deadline Specify a timeout, in seconds, before arping exits regardless of how many packets have been sent or received. In this case arping does not stop after count packet are sent, it waits either for deadline expire or until count probes are answered. SEE ALSO
ping(8), clockdiff(8), tracepath(8). AUTHOR
arping was written by Alexey Kuznetsov <kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru>. SECURITY
arping requires CAP_NET_RAWIO capability to be executed. It is not recommended to be used as set-uid root, because it allows user to modify ARP caches of neighbour hosts. AVAILABILITY
arping is part of iputils package and the latest versions are available in source form for anonymous ftp ftp://ftp.inr.ac.ru/ip-rout- ing/iputils-current.tar.gz. iputils-021109 09 iINAON 2002 ARPING(8)