Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Reading input to create a variable in a script? Post 11921 by LivinFree on Friday 14th of December 2001 12:49:41 AM
Old 12-14-2001
Well, and also, did you notice this?:

Quote:
read response

echo "Your name is $reply" >file.txt
You defined "response", but echo'd "reply".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading Input in a Script

#!/usr/bin/sh echo "Enter reason:" echo "> \c" read $reason $reason >> access.log This doesnt work for me. Can someone tell me how I would read the input from what the person types, and then append that to the log file? Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alwayslearningunix
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for reading an input file

#!/bin/sh rpt="/export/home/legato/rpt_offsite"/test_eject.tape cat <$rpt while read line do echo $line perform routine done I am trying to read the contents of this file line by line and perform a routine for each line read. The file contents are numbers.. What is wrong with my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gzs553
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Multiple files by reading a input file and changing the contents

Being new to this area .I have been assigned a task which i am unable to do . Can any one please help me . Hi I have requirement where i have input file XYZ_111_999_YYYYMMDD_1.TXT and with header and series of Numbers and Footer. I want to create a mutiple output files with each file having a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargavkr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading content of a variable to create a new one?

Hello. I've written up a script, that populates a variable with a list of tapes returned from my library. For example: 701940L3,701941L3,701942L3,701943L3,701944L3,701945L3,701946L3,701947L3,701948L3 So now, the variable "TAPELIST" contains those numbers, delimited by commas. I'd like to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a File and Using as an Input variable

I need to know how the the string constant from Input File should be read and provide as input data for the script . INPUT FILE CONST VARIABLE myname=/root/dir/syslog/myname1 myname=/root/dir/syslog/myname2 myname=/root/dir/syslog/myname3 urname=/root/dir/syslog/urname1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baraghun
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script - reading input lines

Can I do something like, if($0==/^int.*$/) { print "Declaration" } for an input like: int a=5; If the syntax is right, it is not working for me, but I am not sure about the syntax. Please help. Thanks, Prasanna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SH] Problem reading input in script

Alright, so the goal of my script is to read text from standard input and store it into a file using the ex-editor: so far i've got this, but it doesn't work. #!/bin/s read text ex $1 >> HERE text HERE I don't get any errors either, so i don't know what i'm doing wrong. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bertieboy7
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script Not Reading Input Files Correctly

This is one of the strangest things that's happening to me. I'm writing a new Perl script that is trying to read a file. The file is originally in .mof format, but I also saved the contents into a .txt file. As a simple test, I wrote this: #!/user/bin/perl -w use strict; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kooshi
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to develop a script to create a report reading multiple server logs

I am currently trying to develop a script to connect to mulltiple servers, reading specifc data from log files on the servers and append the data from each file into a single tab delimited row. So, at the end I am planning to have a report with all the extracted data with each row per server. I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptingnewbie
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading CLI input for script

I've always written scripts where the user executes the script and I prompt them for what they want to do. But I'm trying to write a script where root executes the script 'lock' or its hard-link 'unlock' and the script will passwd -l or passwd -u an account depending on the choice. What would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ADay2Long
3 Replies
smfi_setmlreply(3N)													       smfi_setmlreply(3N)

NAME
smfi_setmlreply() - sets default SMTP error reply code to a multi-line response SYNOPSIS
PARAMETERS
ctx Specifies the opaque context structure. rcode Specifies the 3-digit (RFC 821/2821) SMTP reply code, as a null-terminated string. rcode must not be a NULL value, and must be a valid or reply code. xcode Specifies the extended (RFC 1893 or 2034) reply code. An xcode must conform to RFC 1893/2034 code. If xcode is set to NULL, an extended code is not used. Specifies the remaining arguments, which are single lines of text. A maximum of 32 arguments can be specified. These arguments are used as the text part of the SMTP reply. The list must be termi- nated with a NULL value. DESCRIPTION
The routine directly sets the SMTP error reply code for a connection. Only and replies are accepted. The list of arguments in must be terminated with a NULL value. is used on subsequent errors from the filter. can be called from any of the functions other than Notes o Values passed to are not checked for standards compliance. o The message parameter must contain only printable characters; other characters may lead to undefined behavior. For example, a CR or LF will cause the call to fail, single (percentage) characters will cause the text to be ignored. If a is required in a string, use the format. o For more information on reply codes and their meanings, see RFC 821, 2821, 1893, and 2034. o If the reply code, that is, rcode, is given a code but is used for the message, the custom reply is not used. Similarly, if rcode is given a code but is used for the message, the custom reply is not used. In neither of the last two cases, an error is returned to the Milter and silently ignores the reply code. o If the Milter returns and sets the reply code to '421', the SMTP server terminates the SMTP session with a '421' error code. RETURN VALUE
fails and returns for the following reasons: o Invalid rcode or xcode argument value. o Memory-allocation failure. o Carriage return or line feed in a text line. o Length of any text line is more than the value(980). o More than 32 lines of text replies are provided. returns on successful completion. EXAMPLES
Consider the following sample code: The following is the SMTP response of the sample code: AUTHOR
The routine was developed by the Sendmail Inc. SEE ALSO
smfi_getsymval(3N), smfi_getpriv(3N), smfi_setreply(3N), smfi_setpriv(3N). on smfi_setmlreply(3N)