Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bourne if, then, else
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers bourne if, then, else Post 11778 by Priest_Ridden on Wednesday 12th of December 2001 02:18:33 AM
Old 12-12-2001
bourne if, then, else

Hello,

A quick, probably dumb question. I'm working on a program and i need to loop through several options. i'm currently doing a bunch of if then else's. i was wondering 2 things in unix (bourne) can i stack else's. 2 would i be better off just using case

ie

read line
if [ $line = "H"]
then
something
else
if [ $line = "K"]
then
something else
fi
else
*can i have that else there*

i kinda think it would be smoother with case, but i'm not comfy with it yet. any insight opinion, advice would be apprecieated

Last edited by Priest_Ridden; 12-12-2001 at 03:47 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bourne script help

I need to make a small script that figures out if a filename that the user enters is a file or a directory. and if it is a directory, how many files are in it. please point me to the right direction, I am a newbie at this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Heedunk
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bourne shell programming help!

hey, i have 2 files... orders and products how do i do calculations on the order using the products ? say if the products file is: a123:shirt:10.00 zz123:nice shirt:19.95 and the order file is: 05/08/30 a123 10 zz123 3 Jun-3-1994 a123 2 2005.06.23 a123 2 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganjakh0r
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bourne-again shell

Hi guys !! well i'm still new in learning UNIX , and actually i'm still studying it by myself .. anyway, some people told me the Bourne-again shell is a good version of UNIX to work on , and i tried to download yesterday but i didn't know how to start it ...... the ReadMe file associated with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrsamer
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Script help

Hey guys, I am trying to do a bourne script to look for c files in the current directory. I had it working where it finds the files and asks you to delete them or not, which works, but if there i no files, then it comes up with errors, which iam trying to get rid of. So I thought I would do a if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pits
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Bourne shell tutorial

Hello. I need a good & complete Bourne shell tutorial. Please, can anyone help me to find it? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jag
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne and decimals??

I need to get 15% of the variable exer1 to be added to other exercises so far, i've got exer1=$1 aver=`expr $exer \* .15` but i keep getting an error that an integer value was expected. Is there anyway around this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kdyzsa
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

GREP in Bourne

I have a problem. Suppose I have a log transport.log with the ff: >> tp finished with return code: 203 meaning: wrong syntax in tp call << I'm working on creating a script to find out if there are error are not. Unfortunately, the only way to check if there is error is if the return... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kdyzsa
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with bourne script

Hey guys not sure why but when i execute the script i get the correct result but then it says command not found not sure why can anyone see anything wrong with my code below? I just want to print how much quota i have used in my home directory #!bin/sh `quota -v | grep ^/home | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: musicmancanora4
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with bourne shell script

Attempting to write a script to eventually notify me via email for when there is packetloss across the backbone. I am looking for values greater than 0% in the mtr field. #!/bin/sh target=www.google.com date +"%D"_"%T" >> /home/rich/mtr.log echo "----------------------------------------" >>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: closedown
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne/C shell help

Exercise Five Write a Bourne shell script which: • Professionalism: plan for this from the start. • Has one command line argument. • If the command line argument is a directory then the script should output the number of files in the directory. • If the command line argument is an ordinary... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moesom
2 Replies
SVN-BISECT(1)						      General Commands Manual						     SVN-BISECT(1)

NAME
svn-bisect - Bisect Subversion revisions to find a regression SYNOPSIS
svn-bisect start [good_rev [bad_rev]] svn-bisect {good|bad} [rev] svn-bisect run command svn-bisect reset svn-bisect status DESCRIPTION
svn-bisect helps to automate finding a bug or behavior change in a Subversion working copy. Given an initial "good" revision, with the desired or original behavior, and a newer "bad" revision, with the undesired or modified behavior, svn-bisect will do a binary search through the revision range to find which revision caused the change. svn-bisect must be initialized in a working copy, with svn-bisect start. It also needs to be given at least one good revision (the base- line) and one bad revision (known modified behavior) revision. Sub-commands: start Initializes or reinitializes svn-bisect; optionally takes good and bad revision parameters. good rev bad rev Tells svn-bisect that a revision is good or bad, defining or narrowing the search space. If not specified, revision defaults to the current revision in the working copy. svn-bisect will then update to a revision halfway between the new good and bad boundaries. If this update crosses a point where a branch was created, it switches in or out of the branch. reset Resets the working copy to the revision and branch where svn-bisect start was run. In the simple case this is equivalent to rm -r .svn-bisect; svn update, but not if it has crossed branches, and not if you did not start at the HEAD revision. In any case, svn-bisect never keeps track of mixed-revision working copies, so do not use svn-bisect in a working copy that will need to be restored to mixed revisions. status Prints a brief status message. run command Runs the bisection in a loop. You must have already defined initial good and bad boundary conditions. Each iteration through the loop runs command as a shell command (a single argument, quoted if necessary) on the chosen revision, then marks the revision as good or bad, based on the exit status of command. EXAMPLES
Assume you are trying to find which revision between 1250 and 1400 caused the make check command to fail. svn-bisect start 1250 1400 svn-bisect run 'make check' svn-bisect reset ENVIRONMENT
SVN The Subversion command-line program to call (default svn). FILES
.svn-bisect The directory containing state information, removed after a successful bisection. SEE ALSO
git-bisect(1). AUTHOR
Written by Robert Millan and Peter Samuelson, for the Debian Project (but may be used by others). 2009-10-22 SVN-BISECT(1)