Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: customizing xterm windows
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers customizing xterm windows Post 1177 by toddy44 on Tuesday 13th of February 2001 05:19:25 PM
Old 02-13-2001
MySQL

This is what worked for me.

In my .cshrc file I added the following lines.
set system=`uname -n` # name of this system.
set myname=`/usr/ucb/whoami` # user name
set ip_addr=`ypmatch $system hosts` # IP address
set prompt="[$myname@($ip_addr)]$cwd-> " #command prompt.
alias cd 'cd \!* ; set prompt="[`whoami`@($ip_addr)]$cwd-> "; echo -n "2;`dirs`1;`dirs`"'

With a result of my command line looking like:
[username@(ip address nodename ]/home/username->

And the title of the xterm window dynamically changing to the dir I cd too.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Customizing CDE background

i have a question about setting the background in a workspace in CDE. I have CDE runnning on Solaris 8 here at work and I want to use some images I have as the background in or two of the workspaces. When I use xv on the image and choose the option the option from the Display Menu -> Root:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kanu77
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

customizing desktop

I need help editing my openwin file. I've got it all set up so the options I normally use (xman, cmdtools, xeyes, printtool) automatically come up when I log on, but it won't read my -geometry entries. I got them by right-clicking on the desktop, but apparently they need to be entered a certain... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdienlin
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

Customizing RHEL OS

Hello Every One, I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question. But please help me with your ideas. I have got a work (proj) where i need to customize the RHEL OS . This would involve building packages, installing them , correcting privileges etc and all these... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shirsha
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Customizing UNIX

Hello i'm just wondering how to customize the color of unix's (or SSH) background, cursor, and letter? Thank you for your time (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgyeah
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xterm console windows at X,Y position

Hi all I want run Xterm and set it windows to a specific position ( inside Gnome display ) : may be I want run Xterm and set it at the low-right corner of screen... I know "geometry" parameter for windows size but for position is there something ? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerold
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Customizing from address in mailx command

Currently I am using mailx command for sending mails. But the mail is sent as from userid@servername by default. Is it possible to customise the from mail address in mailx command? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

customizing default file permission

By default, the files are creates with this permissions:-rw-rw-r-- Is it possible to customize that in such away that ,always created as 777. Where i need to make changes? Please guide me. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Customizing ps command

Hi, I want to monitor our batch jobs at a specific interval for later analysis to see the performance and CPU utilization USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND ps aux|grep dsadm|head xxxxx 386 0.0 0.0 103524 15448 pts/0 S Mar27 0:00... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Customizing bash on AIX

AIX is really different from most distros I am used to. I am trying to set up my .bashrc so I did this in the file. I noticed when I ssh into the server or use the bash command for a new shell it was being ignored. #------------------------------------------------------------- # Source global... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies
PAM_ISSUE(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						      PAM_ISSUE(8)

NAME
pam_issue - PAM module to add issue file to user prompt SYNOPSIS
pam_issue.so [noesc] [issue=issue-file-name] DESCRIPTION
pam_issue is a PAM module to prepend an issue file to the username prompt. It also by default parses escape codes in the issue file similar to some common getty's (using x format). Recognized escapes: d current day l name of this tty m machine architecture (uname -m) machine's network node hostname (uname -n) o domain name of this system release number of operating system (uname -r) current time s operating system name (uname -s) u number of users currently logged in U same as u except it is suffixed with "user" or "users" (eg. "1 user" or "10 users") v operating system version and build date (uname -v) OPTIONS
noesc Turns off escape code parsing. issue=issue-file-name The file to output if not using the default. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the auth module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_IGNORE The prompt was already changed. PAM_SERVICE_ERR A service module error occurred. PAM_SUCCESS The new prompt was set successfully. EXAMPLES
Add the following line to /etc/pam.d/login to set the user specific issue at login: auth optional pam_issue.so issue=/etc/issue SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(8) AUTHOR
pam_issue was written by Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>. Linux-PAM Manual 04/01/2010 PAM_ISSUE(8)