Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Foreign characters in bash
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Foreign characters in bash Post 11378 by czerny on Tuesday 4th of December 2001 06:33:36 AM
Old 12-04-2001
Hello and thanks again. I'm learning new things about Unix and that's great.

This is the log of my Telnet session:

bash$ stty -parenb -istrip cs8
==> Here I tried to type in "Camarón". It didn't work
bash$ Camarn

This is what "stty" gives. Don't whether this is useful for you:

bash$ stty
speed 9600 baud; -parity
rows = 24; columns = 80; ypixels = 0; xpixels = 0;
swtch = <undef>;
brkint -inpck -istrip icrnl -ixany imaxbel onlcr tab3
echo echoe echok echoctl echoke iexten
bash$

Miguel

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Problem with including foreign characters in Lex rule

Hi, I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me with this problem: I have already added new code to several existing Lex rules to accept the following foreign characters: å ä ö Å Ä Ö æ Æ ø Ø ü Ü ß. The code looks like this: /*Nathalie Stern, 080121 - Add å ä ö Å Ä Ö æ Æ ø Ø ü Ü ß handling to function*/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nathalie1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

foreign characters

I have a flat file and have foreign characters in three fields. Can somebody tell me how to get rid of these special characters? It's very urgent because without this my process is failing. Thanks in advance. Angielina (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: angelina
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreign characters

I have a flat file and have foreign characters in three fields. Can somebody tell me how to get rid of these special characters? It's very urgent because without this my process is failing. Thanks in advance. Angielina (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angelina
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

foreign characters in flat file

Hey, Is there anyway I anks, Pocha (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pochaman
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters in a bash variable in sed

Hello, I am trying the following: echo __CHANGEME__ >> testfile VAR1="&&&" sed -i "s|__CHANGEME__|${VAR1}|" testfile cat testfile This results in testfile containing __CHANGEME____CHANGEME____CHANGEME__ Whereas I want it to result in &&& I understand that if VAR1="\&\&\&" then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxnewbeee
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - stripping away characters that can't be used in filenames

I want to create a temp file which is named based on a search string. The search string may contain spaces or characters that aren't supposed to be used in filenames so I want to strip those out. My thought was to use 'tr' with but the result is the opposite of what I want: $ echo "test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mglenney
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Keep only certain characters

Hi, My google fu has failed me on this one Im writing a bash script that can parse a xml document using xpath and then creates a php page, too add to my wordpress blog however sometimes the returned string is invalid for php, or atleast in the function im using on the php script so im... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Viporous
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash: using SED, trying to replace some characters except first or last line

Hi, I require to replace 2 items: 1. replace start of all lines in a file with ' except the first line 2. replace end of all lines in a file with '||chr( except last line I am able to do the entire file using sed -e s/^/\'/g -e s/$/\'\|\|chr\(/g "$file" > newfile.txt but am not yet... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chella15
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting particular characters from each line in a file in bash

Hi All, I am struck with an issue. I need to delete '%' and 'G' from all lines in the input file. Below is what I want to do. InputFile 04/09/2012.21:58:17,well9,rootfs,3.9G,2.7G,1.1G,71%,/ 04/09/2012.21:58:17,well9,/dev/hda2,3.9G,2.7G,1.1G,71%,/... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vharsha
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Telnet Bash Script (Connection closed by foreign host.)

Hello Everyone, My following script is giving me problems, when the SIP trunk goes down and the telnet session is started and just when the command is about to complete the connection is closed then script restarts. I have noticed that as soon the script types in "sys re" or "sys rebo" or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeetz
6 Replies
STTY(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   STTY(1)

NAME
stty - set terminal parameters SYNOPSIS
stty [-ag] stty encoded-form stty speed ispeed speed ospeed speed cs5 cs6 cs7 cs8 [-]parenb [-]parodd [-]hupcl [-]cstopb [-]cread [-]clocal [-]ignbrk [-]brkint [-]ign- par [-]parmrk [-]inpck [-]istrip [-]inlcr [-]igncr [-]icrnl [-]ixon [-]ixoff [-]ixany [-]opost [-]onlcr [-]xtabs [-]onoeot [-]isig [-]icanon [-]iexten [-]echo [-]echoe [-]echok [-]echonl [-]noflsh [-]lflusho eof=c eol=c erase=c erase=c intr=c kill=c quit=c susp=c start=c stop=c rprnt=c lnext=c flush=c min=n time=n rows n cols n cooked raw [-]evenp [-]parity [-]oddp [-]nl ek sane DESCRIPTION
Stty shows or changes the parameters of the terminal connected to standard input. Stty takes a myriad of arguments most of which are mapped directly to the flags and special characters described in tty(4), so we won't describe them here. Stty has three forms of operation. First, without any arguments stty shows all terminal attributes that are different from the default state. Option -a makes stty print all terminal attributes, and -g lets stty print the attributes in a special encoded form, a simple row of colon separated hexadecimal numbers. In the second form of operation stty takes an encoded form as produced by the -g option and sets the terminals attributes to its decoded value. In the third form stty interprets a series of flags and parameters settings and modifies the terminal attributes accordingly. Flags can be given as icanon or -icanon for instance, either setting or clearing the ICANON flag. Special character values can by set like intr=^C for example, which sets the interrupt character to CTRL-C. You can either use a real CTRL-C, or the two characters `^' and `C'. In any case it is probably necessary to use quotes to guard it from the shell: intr='^C'. A number alone is interpreted as a baud rate setting for both the input and output rate. The input or the output rate can be set sepa- rately with use of the ispeed and ospeed prefixes to the number. The character size can be set with cs5, cs6, cs7 or cs8. The MIN and TIME value, and the number of rows and columns of the window can also be set using one of the keywords min, time, rows or cols, followed by a decimal number that is the value of the setting. Stty accepts several keywords that are not named by corresponding flags or parameters in tty(4). They set several attributes at once: cooked Same as icrnl ixon opost onlcr isig icanon iexten echo, setting all the attributes that are needed for line oriented mode. raw Same as -icrnl -ixon -opost -onlcr -isig -icanon -iexten -echo, setting all the attributes for a raw data channel. evenp parity These synonyms are equal to cs7 parenb -parodd, setting the line to 7 bits even parity. oddp Same as cs7 parenb parodd, setting the line to 7 bits odd parity. -parity -evenp -oddp All synonyms for cs8 -parenb, setting the line to 8 bits, no parity. nl Same as icrnl, setting carriage return to line feed input translation. -nl Same as -icrnl -inlcr -igncr, disabling any carriage return or line feed handling. ek Set the ERASE and KILL special characters back to the default. sane Set all attributes to the default except things like the line speed and parity, because their "sane" value is probably what it is right now. The default values are compiled into stty from the <termios.h> include file. Use stty sane; stty -a to know what they are. FILES
/etc/ttytab The init field of this file may contain an stty command to set the attributes to match an attached RS232 terminal or modem. SEE ALSO
tty(4), ttytab(5). NOTES
The cooked, raw, rows and cols keywords are Minix additions beyond the keywords defined by POSIX. Rows and cols are common UNIX exten- sions, however. There are more Minix specific flags that match the Minix specific attributes described in tty(4). AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) STTY(1)