Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Foreign characters in bash
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Foreign characters in bash Post 11357 by czerny on Monday 3rd of December 2001 04:05:26 PM
Old 12-03-2001
Hello PxT,

thanks for your quick reply.

I forgot to tell you that I'm not telnetting from another UNIX machine, but from a Windows system. As far as I know Windows' Telnet does not have these switches (I have to use a Telnet program with SSH anyway, because my host refuses insecure Telnet connections.

Miguel

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Problem with including foreign characters in Lex rule

Hi, I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me with this problem: I have already added new code to several existing Lex rules to accept the following foreign characters: å ä ö Å Ä Ö æ Æ ø Ø ü Ü ß. The code looks like this: /*Nathalie Stern, 080121 - Add å ä ö Å Ä Ö æ Æ ø Ø ü Ü ß handling to function*/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nathalie1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

foreign characters

I have a flat file and have foreign characters in three fields. Can somebody tell me how to get rid of these special characters? It's very urgent because without this my process is failing. Thanks in advance. Angielina (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: angelina
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreign characters

I have a flat file and have foreign characters in three fields. Can somebody tell me how to get rid of these special characters? It's very urgent because without this my process is failing. Thanks in advance. Angielina (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angelina
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

foreign characters in flat file

Hey, Is there anyway I anks, Pocha (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pochaman
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters in a bash variable in sed

Hello, I am trying the following: echo __CHANGEME__ >> testfile VAR1="&&&" sed -i "s|__CHANGEME__|${VAR1}|" testfile cat testfile This results in testfile containing __CHANGEME____CHANGEME____CHANGEME__ Whereas I want it to result in &&& I understand that if VAR1="\&\&\&" then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxnewbeee
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - stripping away characters that can't be used in filenames

I want to create a temp file which is named based on a search string. The search string may contain spaces or characters that aren't supposed to be used in filenames so I want to strip those out. My thought was to use 'tr' with but the result is the opposite of what I want: $ echo "test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mglenney
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Keep only certain characters

Hi, My google fu has failed me on this one Im writing a bash script that can parse a xml document using xpath and then creates a php page, too add to my wordpress blog however sometimes the returned string is invalid for php, or atleast in the function im using on the php script so im... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Viporous
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash: using SED, trying to replace some characters except first or last line

Hi, I require to replace 2 items: 1. replace start of all lines in a file with ' except the first line 2. replace end of all lines in a file with '||chr( except last line I am able to do the entire file using sed -e s/^/\'/g -e s/$/\'\|\|chr\(/g "$file" > newfile.txt but am not yet... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chella15
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting particular characters from each line in a file in bash

Hi All, I am struck with an issue. I need to delete '%' and 'G' from all lines in the input file. Below is what I want to do. InputFile 04/09/2012.21:58:17,well9,rootfs,3.9G,2.7G,1.1G,71%,/ 04/09/2012.21:58:17,well9,/dev/hda2,3.9G,2.7G,1.1G,71%,/... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vharsha
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Telnet Bash Script (Connection closed by foreign host.)

Hello Everyone, My following script is giving me problems, when the SIP trunk goes down and the telnet session is started and just when the command is about to complete the connection is closed then script restarts. I have noticed that as soon the script types in "sys re" or "sys rebo" or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeetz
6 Replies
ppmtoicr(1)                                                   General Commands Manual                                                  ppmtoicr(1)

NAME
ppmtoicr - convert a portable pixmap into NCSA ICR format SYNOPSIS
ppmtoicr [-windowname name] [-expand expand] [-display display] [-rle] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap file as input. Produces an NCSA Telnet Interactive Color Raster graphic file as output. If ppmfile is not sup- plied, ppmtoicr will read from standard input. Interactive Color Raster (ICR) is a protocol for displaying raster graphics on workstation screens. The protocol is implemented in NCSA Telnet for the Macintosh version 2.3. The ICR protocol shares characteristics of the Tektronix graphics terminal emulation protocol. For example, escape sequences are used to control the display. ppmtoicr will output the appropriate sequences to create a window of the dimensions of the input pixmap, create a colormap of up to 256 colors on the display, then load the picture data into the window. Note that there is no icrtoppm tool - this transformation is one way. OPTIONS
-windownamename Output will be displayed in name (Default is to use ppmfile or "untitled" if standard input is read.) -expandexpand Output will be expanded on display by factor expand (For example, a value of 2 will cause four pixels to be displayed for every input pixel.) -displaydisplay Output will be displayed on screen numbered display -rle Use run-length encoded format for display. (This will nearly always result in a quicker display, but may skew the colormap.) EXAMPLES
To display a ppm file using the protocol: ppmtoicr ppmfile This will create a window named ppmfile on the display with the correct dimensions for ppmfile, create and download a colormap of up to 256 colors, and download the picture into the window. The same effect may be achieved by the following sequence: ppmtoicr ppmfile > filename cat filename To display a GIF file using the protocol in a window titled after the input file, zoom the displayed image by a factor of 2, and run-length encode the data: giftopnm giffile | ppmtoicr -w giffile -r -e 2 BUGS
The protocol uses frequent fflush calls to speed up display. If the output is saved to a file for later display via cat, drawing will be much slower. In either case, increasing the Blocksize limit on the display will speed up transmission substantially. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) NCSA Telnet for the Macintosh, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1989) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1990 by Kanthan Pillay (svpillay@Princeton.EDU), Princeton University Computing and Information Technology. 30 July 1990 ppmtoicr(1)