Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Loop through the lines in a file? Post 11329 by jimmy on Monday 3rd of December 2001 11:47:20 AM
Old 12-03-2001
Question Loop through the lines in a file?

How do I loop through the lines of a file?

Each line of the file will be the name of a server.

Like:
server1.stuff.com
server2.stuff.com

For each server I want to do a secure copy of the file to the other server.

This will be a cron job so I guess it needs to run in just SH. I could be wrong about that also.

THANKS!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through file and write out lines to file(s)

Hi, I am new to ksh scripting so your help will be much appreciated. I have a file called file.txt which looks like this Header 20050702 20050703 ABC DEF Header 20050703 20050704 123 456 Header 20050704 20050705 XXX YYY What I am trying to do is write out each of the record... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jtrinh
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

exclude lines in a loop

I use while do - done loop in my shell script. It is working as per my expectations. But I do not want to process all the lines. I am finding it difficult to exclude certain lines. 1) I do not want to process blank lines as well as lines those start with a space " " 2) I do not want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use while loop in bash shell to read a file with 4 lines of gap

Hi , I am currently using the while loop in bash shell, as follows. while read line do echo $line done < file.txt However, i want to use the while loop on file.txt, which will read the file with 4 lines of gap. Ex- if file.txt is a file of 100 lines, then i want to use the loop such... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitendriya.dash
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through between 2 found lines

Hi frnd , hv nice week ahead, in shell script i found 2 words as below 1 ) targ_found=`sed -n \`echo $line_no\`p sesslog.txt | grep -ic 'Targ Rowid'` 2 ) bracket_found=`sed -n \`echo $line_no\`p sesslog.txt | grep -wc ')'` now we got he line number of 2 words. now i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gopal_Engg
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get different lines using a for loop

Hi I am trying to write a small AWK program to extract 324 lines which have a pattern in the line numbers. For examples, I want to extract lines 2, 5, 7, 11 and lines like (2+662), (5+662), (7+662), (11+662) and (2+662+662), (5+662+662), (7+662+662), (11+662+662) and so on for 27 times from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananyob
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

analyze lines in a file by loop

Hi Dears, I use the below code to analyze lines in a file: for line in `cat ucsv` do echo $line //analyze statements donehowever, if line contains space char, it will be broken. for example, if file content is: #login,full name,email,project,role,action gmwen,Bruce... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crest.boy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading two lines in a while loop and combining the lines

Dear all, I have a file like this: imput scaffold_0 1 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 20000 scaffold_0 25000 scaffold_1 1 scaffold_1 10000 scaffold_1 20000 scaffold_1 23283 and I want the output like this: scaffold_0 1 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 20000... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading line by line from live log file using while loop and considering only those lines start from

Hi, I want to read a live log file line by line and considering those line which start from time stamp; Below code I am using, which read line but throws an exception when comparing line that does not contain error code tail -F /logs/COMMON-ERROR.log | while read myline; do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Loop through file one, remove lines from file two

Good Afternoon, I start with a file named biglist.txt. I have another file smallerlist. txt I want to remove the lines from smallerlist.txt from biglist.txt and leave those lines that do not reside in smallerlist.txt. Thanks !! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed in a loop/to remove lines contained in variable from file

I've tried numerous commands, but I am not sure how to use sed in a loop. This is what I have: VARZ contains CARD_FILE_LIST and it also contains CARD_FILE_LIST2 so echo "$VARZ" CARD_FILE_LIST CARD_FILE_LIST2 I have a file with 60 lines in /tmp/testfile it and I want those lines deleted... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
3 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
auth/cron [-c] DESCRIPTION
Cron executes commands at specified dates and times according to instructions in the files /cron/user/cron. It runs only on an authentica- tion server. Option -c causes cron to create /cron/user and /cron/user/cron for the current user; it can be run from any Plan 9 machine. Blank lines and lines beginning with # in these files are ignored. Entries are lines with fields minute hour day month weekday host command Command is a string, which may contain spaces, that is passed to an rc(1) running on host for execution. The first five fields are integer patterns for minute 0-59 hour 0-23 day of month 1-31 month of year 1-12 day of week 0-6; 0=Sunday The syntax for these patterns is time : '*' | range range : number | number '-' number | range ',' range Each number must be in the appropriate range. Hyphens specify inclusive ranges of valid times; commas specify lists of valid time ranges. To run the job, cron calls host and authenticates remote execution, equivalent to running rx host command (see con(1)). The user's profile is run with $service set to rx. Cron is not a reliable service. It skips commands if it cannot reach host within two minutes, or if the cron daemon is not running at the appropriate time. EXAMPLES
Here is the job that mails system news. % cat /cron/upas/cron # send system news 15 8-17, 21 *** helix /mail/lib/mailnews % SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/auth/cron.c SEE ALSO
con(1), rc(1) CRON(8)