Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: dec-notes ?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers dec-notes ? Post 11297 by Neo on Saturday 1st of December 2001 09:48:11 PM
Old 12-01-2001
BTW: Commenting out or in ports in /etc/services does not disallow or allow services. /etc/services is just a mapping between the friendly name and the port number. A daemon process can start and run without any reference in /etc/services if it opens the port based on port number.

If you call a service by name, then yes the mapping helps to find the port.... however this is not enabling a port, per se, just doing the port number to name mapping......

On another note....

Might be easier to just see if you can use a program like lsof to find out what process using the port.. then you can follow the trail to the parent processes to find out where the process is initiated.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DEC Unix system

Whats the max number of charaters a password can be on a DEC Unix System? Thanks in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: garryGNU3.3
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Char to Dec using AWK

I'm facing a problem when trying to read a file and convert the content from char to decimal in ASCII. :confused: eg :- Input file : 20051231 8.00 experted result : 50484853495051493256464848 The content of input file is vary very day. I need to use AWK script to program it. Pls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasmine05
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting hex to dec

Hi Experts, I have a file called "hex" which contains info like below How do i convert everything in this file to decimal value? Please advice. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aismann
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Convert Hex value to Dec ?

Hi All, I want to convert below Hex value to Dec value in each column .How to do it ? This data is in a 1 file. 4e20 0475 2710 010f 7530 69a2 7530 7e2f 4e20 02dd 7530 6299 4e20 0c0a 7530 69a2 4e20 0a0b 2710 0048 7530 7955 4e20 0d23 7530 622d 7530 9121 2710 001f 7530 7d3f (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nayanajith
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

HEX to DEC Conversion

I'm trying to convert hex to dec and with the help of output i need to do the process. If i execute the below code assetValue=8f assetNavigation=$(echo "ibase=16; "$assetValue"" | bc) echo $assetNavigation i'm getting the error below $ sh script.sh (standard_in) 1: syntax error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amutha
2 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Is DEC OSF/1 3.0A available for download somewhere?

Please let me know Thanks Jack (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucky7456969
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking for which DEC this header is from?

curses.h,v $ $Revision: 4.2.7.3 $ (DEC) $Date: 1994/05/12 18:03:48 $ Which Ultrix and OSF/1 this probably from? Thanks Jack (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucky7456969
3 Replies
HUNTD(6)							 BSD Games Manual							  HUNTD(6)

NAME
huntd -- hunt daemon, back-end for hunt game SYNOPSIS
huntd [-s] [-p port] DESCRIPTION
huntd controls the multi-player hunt(6) game. When it starts up, it tries to notify all members of the hunt-players mailing list (see sendmail(8)) by faking a talk(1) request from user ``Hunt Game''. The -s option is for running huntd forever (server mode). This is similar to running it under the control of inetd(8) (see below), but it consumes a process table entry when no one is playing. The -p option changes the UDP port number used to rendezvous with the player process and thus allows for private games of hunt. This option turns off the notification of players on the hunt-players mailing list. INETD To run huntd from inetd(8), you'll need to put the hunt service in /etc/services: hunt 26740/udp # multi-player/multi-host mazewars and add the following line to /etc/inetd.conf: hunt dgram udp wait nobody /usr/games/huntd huntd Do not use any of the command line options; if you want inetd(8) to start up huntd on a private port, change the port listed for hunt in /etc/services. NETWORK RENDEZVOUS
When hunt(6) starts up, it broadcasts on the local area net (using the broadcast address for each interface) to find a hunt game in progress. If a huntd hears the request, it sends back the port number for the hunt process to connect to. Otherwise, the hunt process starts up a huntd on the local machine and tries to rendezvous with it. SEE ALSO
talk(1), hunt(6), sendmail(8) AUTHORS
Conrad Huang, Ken Arnold, and Greg Couch; University of California, San Francisco, Computer Graphics Lab April 4, 2001