Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple Programming
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Simple Programming Post 11289 by rwb1959 on Saturday 1st of December 2001 02:53:10 PM
Old 12-01-2001
Well you didn't mention which shell (sh,ksh,etc.)
but you can pass input to a shell script
on the command line as arguments...

read more about:

"$*" ...and... "shift"

...also read through the shell man page
on shell parameters and parameter expansion.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

c programming or unix programming!?

i would like advice on the usbject of c programming (in the middle of reading a book on C). could i benefit more if i apply that knowledge in the unix format if i were able to, or would that take the point out of learning C, basically I want to stay away from strying too far away from unix and use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple to you not simple to me pattern matchin help

hey all, im new and my first question is: say i have a word "blahblah" how do i get and replace the last letter of the word with say k, so replace the h with a k. However you cant just replace the h it has to change the LAST LETTER of the word. Cheers In advance. :b: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aleks001
0 Replies

4. Programming

newbie to unix programming in C, needed a few simple prgs on these functions!

Hi all, I am a newbie to unix programming using C.. So i would like to have a few simple C programs to start off with.. I wanted programs on learning , abort,kill and raise,alarm and pause,I would also like to know how to use the vfork() in a prg It would be really great if i can have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple socket programming in perl

hi i want to write simple socket program which will listen on socket . here is the code ## read msg on socket #! /usr/bin/perl use IO::Socket::INET; my $MySocket= IO::Socket::INET->new(LocalPort=>1234, Proto=>'udp') ; while ()... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Carreer:Networking Programming in Unix (C programming Language)

Hello, I am trying to learn Networking Programming in C in unix enviorment. I want to know how good it is to become a network programmer. i am crazy about Network programming but i also want to opt for the best carreer options. Anybody experienced Network Programmer, please tell me is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
5 Replies

7. Programming

C Programming - Hardware Programming

Can someone help me on suggesting some ways to access the memory content in RAM directly from C/C++ source code. Please provide me any book name or any URL so that I can get an exhaustive knowledge over it. If possible please give me some tips on interacting with hardwares directly through... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nandumishra
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

From iOS programming to Linux system programming

Hello. I like Linux and C programming language. Allways wanted to understand kernel and become a Linux system programmer. And I also like Objective-C and iOS. These two programming areas have relations: 1. Linux and iOS are UNIX-like systems, POSIX compliant. 2. It is useful to know C language... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rockatansky
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies
shift(1)							   User Commands							  shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)