Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple Programming
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Simple Programming Post 11178 by JSP on Thursday 29th of November 2001 11:19:19 PM
Old 11-30-2001
Question Simple Programming

I am writing a simple shell program using the

if

then

else

How do I use input in the program without using read?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

c programming or unix programming!?

i would like advice on the usbject of c programming (in the middle of reading a book on C). could i benefit more if i apply that knowledge in the unix format if i were able to, or would that take the point out of learning C, basically I want to stay away from strying too far away from unix and use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple to you not simple to me pattern matchin help

hey all, im new and my first question is: say i have a word "blahblah" how do i get and replace the last letter of the word with say k, so replace the h with a k. However you cant just replace the h it has to change the LAST LETTER of the word. Cheers In advance. :b: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aleks001
0 Replies

4. Programming

newbie to unix programming in C, needed a few simple prgs on these functions!

Hi all, I am a newbie to unix programming using C.. So i would like to have a few simple C programs to start off with.. I wanted programs on learning , abort,kill and raise,alarm and pause,I would also like to know how to use the vfork() in a prg It would be really great if i can have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple socket programming in perl

hi i want to write simple socket program which will listen on socket . here is the code ## read msg on socket #! /usr/bin/perl use IO::Socket::INET; my $MySocket= IO::Socket::INET->new(LocalPort=>1234, Proto=>'udp') ; while ()... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Carreer:Networking Programming in Unix (C programming Language)

Hello, I am trying to learn Networking Programming in C in unix enviorment. I want to know how good it is to become a network programmer. i am crazy about Network programming but i also want to opt for the best carreer options. Anybody experienced Network Programmer, please tell me is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
5 Replies

7. Programming

C Programming - Hardware Programming

Can someone help me on suggesting some ways to access the memory content in RAM directly from C/C++ source code. Please provide me any book name or any URL so that I can get an exhaustive knowledge over it. If possible please give me some tips on interacting with hardwares directly through... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nandumishra
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

From iOS programming to Linux system programming

Hello. I like Linux and C programming language. Allways wanted to understand kernel and become a Linux system programmer. And I also like Objective-C and iOS. These two programming areas have relations: 1. Linux and iOS are UNIX-like systems, POSIX compliant. 2. It is useful to know C language... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rockatansky
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies
popen(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  popen(3)

NAME
popen - Initiates a pipe to a process LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.so, libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> FILE *popen ( const char *command, const char *type ); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: popen(): XPG4, XPG4-UNIX Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Points to a null-terminated string containing a shell command line. Points to a null-terminated string containing an I/O mode. DESCRIPTION
The popen() function creates a pipe between the calling program and a shell command to be executed. It returns a pointer to a FILE struc- ture for the stream. If the type parameter is the value r, the calling program can read from the standard output of the command by reading from the returned file stream. If the type parameter is the value w, the calling program can write to the standard input of the command by writing to the returned file stream. Because open files are shared, a type r command can be used as an input filter and a type w command as an output filter. NOTES
Programs using the popen() function to invoke an output filter should beware of possible deadlock caused by output data remaining in the program's buffer. This can be avoided by either using the setbuf() function to ensure that the output stream is unbuffered, or by using the fflush() function to ensure that all buffered data is flushed before calling the pclose() function. If the original processes and the process started with the popen() function concurrently read or write a common file, neither should use buffered I/O. If they do, the results are unpredictable. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the popen() function returns a pointer to the FILE structure for the opened stream. In case of error because files or processes could not be created, the popen() function returns a null pointer. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: exec(2), fork(2), fclose(3), fopen(3), pclose(3), pipe(2), setbuf(3) Standards: standards(5) delim off popen(3)