Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Quick VI question
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Quick VI question Post 11133 by Perderabo on Thursday 29th of November 2001 10:36:23 AM
Old 11-29-2001
Quote:
Originally posted by wizard
In command mode, go to the command prompt (the :) and type
set list

This should show non-printable characters in vi.
Actually, with most versions of unix, ":set list" only affects white space. It causes tabs to show up as ^I and newlines to be marked with $.

The real problem is that some bytes could have values in the range of 128 to 255 and you may not have an 8 bit data path to your terminal. Depending on the stty settings, the MSB may be a parity bit rather than a data bit. Also not all terminals will display something for non-ascii characters. And a final problem is that, I think, vi balks at attempting to display nulls, although it will count them and display a count at startup time.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick Question

I know in DOS, when you want to pull up your last/previous command, you hit the up/down arrows. How do you do that with UNIX? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tracy Hunt
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

A very quick question

Just a super quick question: how do you put a link in your php code. I want to make a link to something in /tmp directory. i.e. how do you put a href into php, I think it's done a bit differently. thanks john (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmg5
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick Question

Hello There! I am trying to write this SIMPLE script in Bourne Shell but I keep on getting syntax errors. Can you see what I am doing wrong? I've done this before but I don't see the difference. I am simply trying to take the day of the week from our system and when the teachers sign on I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: catbad
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another quick question

Hi guys sed -e "s/$<//g" the $< can allow me to assign an input value to the variable right? do the double quotes check the previous context? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hamoudzz
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

quick question

does anyone know what $? means? i echoed it on my box (running AIX Korn shell) and got 127 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: penfold
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick Question

Hi, I am new to UNIX, and am learning from this tutorial : http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/index.html It keeps telling me to files downloaded from the internet (like .txt files) to the directory, and I dont know how to. How do I add .txt files to my directory? Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: IAMTHEEVILBEAN
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quick question

from command prompt I did grep two words on a same line for eg: grep abc | grep xyz and I got tht particular line, but I want to know when I vi that file how to directly search for that particular line? I appreciate if any one can provide answer, thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkolishetty
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick question

Hello all, Quick question from a fairly new to Unix developer. if then completedLogFile=$logfile.$(date +%Y%m%d-%H:%M:%S) mv $logfile $completedLogFile fi I understand that this portion of code is simply copying a tmp logfile to a completed logfile when a condition is true. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnnyBoy
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick question.

I'd like to list all userid's on the system that have a .bashrc file in their home directory with a command like "cat /etc/passwd | grep -f", however I'm not quite familiar with using grep. Any suggestions? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidkridley
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick question

When I have a file like this: 0084AF aj-123-a NAME Ajay NAME Kumar Engineer 015ED6 ck-345-c 020B25 ef-456-e 027458 pq-890-p NAME Peter NAME Salob Doctor 0318F0 xy-123-x NAME Xavier Arul NAME Yesu Supervisor 0344CA de-456-d where - The first NAME is followed by... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajay41aj
6 Replies
HLS(1)							      General Commands Manual							    HLS(1)

NAME
hls - list files in an HFS directory SYNOPSIS
hls [options] [hfs-path ...] DESCRIPTION
hls lists files and directories contained in an HFS volume. If one or more arguments are given, each specified file or directory is shown; otherwise, the contents of the current working directory are shown. OPTIONS
-1 Output is formatted such that each entry appears on a single line. This is the default when stdout is not a terminal. -a All files and directories are shown, including "invisible" files, as would be perceived by the Macintosh Finder. Normally invisible files are omitted from directory listings. -b Special characters are displayed in an escaped backslash notation. Normally special or non-printable characters in filenames are replaced by a question mark (?). -c Sort and display entries by their creation date, rather than their modification date. -d List directory entries themselves rather than their contents. Normally the contents are shown for named directories on the command- line. -f Do not sort directory contents; list them in the order they appear in the directory. This option effectively enables -a and -U and disables -l, -s, and -t. -i Show the catalog IDs for each entry. Every file and directory on an HFS volume has a unique catalog ID. -l Display entries in long format. This format shows the entry type ("d" for directory or "f" for file), flags ("i" for invisible), file type and creator (four-character strings for files only), size (number of directory sub-contents or file resource and data bytes, respectively), date of last modification (or creation, with -c flag), and pathname. Macintosh "locked" files are indicated by "F" in place of "f". -m Display entries in a continuous format separated by commas. -q Replace special and non-printable characters in displayed filenames with question marks (?). This is the default when stdout is con- nected to a terminal. -r Sort entries in reverse order before displaying. -s Show the file size for each entry in 1K block units. The size includes blocks used for both data and resource forks. -t Sort and display entries by time. Normally files will be sorted by name. This option uses the last modification date to sort unless -c is also specified. -x Display entries in column format like -C, but sorted horizontally into rows rather than columns. -w width Format output lines suitable for display in the given width. Normally the width will be determined from your terminal, from the environment variable COLUMNS, or from a default value of 80. -C Display entries in column format with entries sorted vertically. This is the default output format when stdout is connected to a terminal. -F Cause certain output filenames to be followed by a single-character flag indicating the nature of the entry; directories are fol- lowed by a colon (:) and executable Macintosh applications are followed by an asterisk (*). -N Cause all filenames to be output verbatim without any escaping or question-mark substitution. -Q Cause all filenames to be enclosed within double-quotes (") and special/non-printable characters to be properly escaped. -R For each directory that is encountered in a listing, recursively descend into and display its contents. -S Sort and display entries by size. For files, the combined resource and data lengths are used to compute a file's size. -U Do not sort directory contents; list them in the order they appear in the directory. On HFS volumes, this is usually an alphabetical case-insensitive ordering, although there are some idiosyncrasies to the Macintosh implementation of ordering. This option does not affect -a, -l, or -s. SEE ALSO
hfsutils(1), hcd(1), hpwd(1), hdir(1), hcopy(1) FILES
$HOME/.hcwd AUTHOR
Robert Leslie <rob@mars.org> HFSUTILS
14-Jan-1997 HLS(1)