Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Mail subject output of script Post 11132 by ghoti on Thursday 29th of November 2001 10:33:41 AM
Old 11-29-2001
I don't know if this is of any help, but I had the same problem with getting 'mail' to run from within a script, and I had to resort to using sendmail.

below is an example of how I used it.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
TO="me@xxx.com"
CC=""
FROM="someone_else@xxx.com"
SUBJECT="This is a test"

/usr/sbin/sendmail -t <<-EOF
To: $TO
Subject: $SUBJECT
        Hello,
        Body goes here. 
        regards,
        your script

EOF
echo "Done....!="

I hope this helps a bit..
-gHoTi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set Subject in 'mail' ?

Hi, I am trying to send some file to some mail ids using mail command in UNIX. Now the issue is I am not able to find how to add "Subject text" to the command. So I am using command like "mail abc@yahoo.com < file_name" Now if I use simple mail command I can set subject text by using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkapil
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

regarding the script output in the mail.

In a script I have the varliable , which holds the string V="some string" I am redirecting the value to a mailfile, which sends the mail in text form in the message box of the mail. I want to print the variable output in the red or blue color in the mail.. Can anyone plz let us know how to do... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run a script using cron job and send the output as attachment via e-mail using unix

how to run a script using cron job and send the output as attachment via e-mail using unix. please help me. how my cron job entry should be? As of now my cron job entry is to run the script at specific time, 15 03 * * * /path/sample.sh | mail -s "Logs" email_id In the above entry, what... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to mail monitoring output if required or redirect output to log file

Below script perfectly works, giving below mail output. BUT, I want to make the script mail only if there are any D-Defined/T-Transition/B-Broken State WPARs and also to copy the output generated during monitoring to a temporary log file, which gets cleaned up every week. Need suggestions. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect script output to a file and mail the output

Hi Guys, I want to redirect the output of 3 scripts to a file and then mail the output of those three scripts. I used below but it is not working: OFILE=/home/home1/report1 echo "report1 details" > $OFILE =/home/home1/1.sh > $OFILE echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Shell script output in HTML or with table like results and mail

Hello, Currently i have a script which will disply the results in plain text format. I want to format the result in more readable format like Making bold headings and format with colors etc. Something like html and send that content as email. Please help me how i can do that. I am using... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: joy lobo
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write this script:- check output word and send a mail?

Hi Guys, I am not Good at scripting. I need to write a script such that if output of command shows the particular word in output then send mail to abc@compay.com -bash-3.2$ ps -ef | grep bpbkar root 6040 1 0 13:05:19 ? 0:00 bpbkar -r 2678400 -ru root -dt 47395 -to 0... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
20 Replies

8. AIX

Mail subject splitted

Hi I have a script that is sending mail and it was working fine. But the last time it run, it gave some errors. It look like the subject was split into many receiver. I am on AIX 6.1. #!/bin/ksh # HOSTNAME=`which hostname` MACHINE=`${HOSTNAME}` # E-mail to inform hci of a stop echo "###... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacquesT
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invoke a shell script in case mail with a specific subject is received

Hello fellow forum members, I have a script which returns a date (I can design the script to return the value in email), How can I design the script in AIX to invoke another shell script which performs some set of actions. Procmail doesnt work in AIX. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

A shell script to run a script which don't get terminated and send a pattern from the output by mail

Hi Guys, I am very new to shell script and I need your help here to write a script. Actually, I have a script abc.sh which don't get terminated itself. So I need to design a script to run this script, save the output to a file, search for a given string in the output and if it exists send those... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sambit Sahu
11 Replies
MHMAIL(1)							     [nmh-1.5]								 MHMAIL(1)

NAME
mhmail - send or read mail SYNOPSIS
mhmail [addrs ...] [-body text] [-cc addrs ...] [-from addr] [-subject subject] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
mhmail is intended as a replacement for the standard Berkeley mail program (mail or mailx), which is compatible with nmh. This program is intended for the use of programs such as cron, which expect to send mail automatically to various users. It is also used by various nmh commands to mail various error notifications. Although mhmail can be used interactively, it is recommended that comp and send be used instead to send messages. When invoked without arguments, it simply invokes inc to incorporate new messages from the user's maildrop. When one or more users is specified, a message is read from the standard input and spooled to a temporary file. mhmail then invokes post with the name of the tempo- rary file as its argument to deliver the message to the specified user. The -subject subject switch can be used to specify the "Subject:" field of the message. By default, mhmail will read the message to be sent from the standard input. You can specify the text of the message at the command line with the -body text switch. If the standard input has zero length, mhmail will not send the message. You can use the switch -body "" to force an empty message. Normally, addresses appearing as arguments are put in the "To:" field. If the -cc switch is used, all addresses following it are placed in the "cc:" field. By using -from addr, you can specify the "From:" header of the draft. Naturally, post will fill-in the "Sender:" header correctly. FILES
/usr/bin/mh/inc Program to incorporate maildrop into folder /usr/lib/mh/post Program to deliver a message /tmp/mhmail* Temporary copy of message SEE ALSO
inc(1), post(8) DEFAULTS
None CONTEXT
If inc is invoked, then inc's context changes occur. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 MHMAIL(1)