Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding users currently accesing a directory Post 11111 by _r€d on Thursday 29th of November 2001 05:51:08 AM
Old 11-29-2001
Re: Finding users currently accesing a directory

dont know if this is the right answer, but i hope i can help you:

type "w" in the shell and press return. from the manuals: ...the "w" utility prints a summary of the current activity of the system...displays who is logged in and what they are doing...

for more information "man w"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding valid users

Is there a way to determine the names of valid system users? I know that last, finger, and who will give you the names of users who have accessed the system and / or those who are currently logged onto the system. I was trying to determine a way to find the names of any valid user whether or not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrdnoland1
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding out users

Hi. After using the command 'who' and getting all used accounts on current machine - how can i found out who are the users? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roco
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding last time users logged in

I would like to find out the last time all users have logged in or out. I tried the last command, but it could not find the wtmp file in /var/adm (I searched in othe directories also). This is an AIX rs6000 4.2.1 system. We are moving our applications from this system to an AIX 5.2 system and I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding idle users

I am trying to write a script that will list the idle users on my system which is running HPUX 11.11. The script is currently written as : who -u > /home/rfm/scripts/user.txt echo " There are currently... " wc -l /home/rfm/scripts/user.txt echo " User logins on System : `uname -n` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rfmurphy_6
3 Replies

5. IP Networking

Finding all users on a LAN and their IP

On a local network, how can I generate a list that includes all usernames with their current ip? I get this list in Apple Remote Desktop but it would be much more handy to be able to get this kind of a list in Terminal. Using Terminal on a Mac. Thanks for this awesome forum! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sigurarm
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

accesing a value

hi while do if then echo QManager Name $1 fi if then echo Cluster Name$2 fi if (( $count != 0 && $count != 1 )) then echo Queue Name `$($count)` fi ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding out all users and their UNIX groups??

Is there a way to find out all users and the UNIX groups they belong to?? :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the list of users who modified a file

Dear all, Need a quick help/suggestion on monitoring a particular directory . We have a deployment directory say (/users/integration/deploy ) under this there are several files which can be edited by a number of users - We need to write a script which will check this deployment directory... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding users first name and last name

can someone help me how do i do this.. Display user id, first and last names of all the members of your CIS132 class in alphabetical order by last name. Hint: • All classmate names are in the file /etc/passwd • the first 5 characters in the user id are the same for all class members. (s132a) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: an2up
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

finding users first name and last name

an someone help me how do i do this.. Display user id, first and last names of all the members of your CIS132 class in alphabetical order by last name. Hint: • All classmate names are in the file /etc/passwd • the first 5 characters in the user id are the same for all class members. (s132a) ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: an2up
0 Replies
uptime(1)						      General Commands Manual							 uptime(1)

NAME
uptime, w - show how long system has been up and/or who is logged in and what they are doing SYNOPSIS
[user] [pset_list]] [user] [pset_list]] DESCRIPTION
prints the current time, the length of time the system has been up, the number of users logged on to the system, and the average number of jobs in the run queue over the last 1, 5, and 15 minutes for the active processors. is linked to and prints the same output as displaying a summary of the current activity on the system. Options and recognize the following options: Print the current time, the length of time the system has been up, and the number of users logged on to the system in the first line of the output. The average number of jobs in the core over the last 1, 5, and 15 minutes for the active processors is also printed. When used with the option, the load averages for the processor sets (psets) are calculated on a core basis. Suppress the first line and the heading line. This option should not be used with the option. This option assumes the use of the option to Use long output. This option assumes the use of the option to Print the current time, the length of time the system has been up, and the number of users logged on to the system in the first line of the output. The load averages over the last 1, 5, and 15 minutes for the processor sets (psets) given in the command line, pset_list, are displayed in the subsequent lines. If no arguments are given, the load averages are displayed for all the psets in the system. If pset id of an empty pset is given in the command line, a corresponding message will be displayed. If the kernel does not have the pset capability, gives an error. The option cannot be used along with other options except Use the short form of output for displaying terminal information. The terminal name is abbreviated, and the login time and CPU times are suppressed. Print only the first line describing the overall state of the system. This is the default for the command. Print a summary of the current activity on the system for each user. This is the default for the command. EXAMPLES
The command: produces text resembling the following: depending upon the current status of the system. The command: gives the load average of all the psets in the system. If 0, 94, 95, and 97 are existing psets in the system, the output will look like the following: The command: gives output which looks like the following if 94 and 95 are valid pset ids: The command: gives the load average of the system, producing output resembling the following: The command: gives the load average of all the psets in the system. If 0 and 1 are psets in the system, the output will look like the following: AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley and HP. SEE ALSO
mpctl(2), pset_ctl(2). uptime(1)