Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: time arithmetic
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users time arithmetic Post 11057 by csong2 on Wednesday 28th of November 2001 10:17:55 AM
Old 11-28-2001
Data time arithmetic

Can anyone help please. I am writing a kourne shell script and I am unsure how to do the following:

I have extracted a time string from a logfile, and I have another time string I want to compare it to to see if it's later than the time I'm comparing with.

i.e. expectedSLA="23:00:00", actualDeliveryTime="22:40:00"

I try to do the following:

missedSLA="N"
if [ $actualDeliveryTime > $expectedSLA ]
then
missedSLA="Y"
fi

This always sets missedSLA to "Y". Isn't it supposed to compare using the decimal values of the string? How can I get the above process to work? What can I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arithmetic problem

i am used to making scripts for hp-ux. but lately i tried to make some for solaris. the problem is that when i tried to execute it it gave me an error the "let: not found". why is that? how can i perform an arithmetic function in the solaris shell script? thanks :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arithmetic In UNIX

I am a beginner and I have been searching the web all morning for this answer but can't find it anywhere. I know that prtint 1*2 will return 1*2 what if i actually want the problem to be calculated so i want print 1*2 to return 2 How is this done? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tygun
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

arithmetic in ksh

Helloo.. I am trying one very simple thing I could not find anything on google.. I have 2 integer variable..and I need to do division...in ksh where $catch and $num are integer variable.. I tryed with this: printf "%0.2f" $final=$catch/$num but it does not work.. any help is... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

arithmetic in tcsh

Yes I know tcsh sucks for scripting and arithmetic but I have to write a script for multiple users and they all use tcsh. I have this variable that I 'set' with but pulling numbers off of stings with set STUFF = `grep string file | awk command` Now I would like to add up the numbers that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gobi
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arithmetic Operators

Hello, I have a list of 'inputs' and i want to convert those on the second list named 'Desired Outputs', but i don't know how to do it? Inputs Desired Outputs 1 2 94 4 276 8 369 10 464 12 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filda
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arithmetic: how to??

Hello all, I'd like to know how to perform arithmetic on multiple files. I have got many tab-delimited files. Each file contains about 2000 rows and 2000 columns. What I want to do is to to sum the values in each row & column in every file. The following explains what I want to do; ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Rahiz
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh arithmetic ?

Hello, Could someone explain how this one is possible: # @ x = 10 - 11 + 3 # echo $x -4 I know that writing script using csh is bad idea, but I need to write few lines. thanks Vilius (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date and time Arithmetic

Hi, I need to process a file which contains below data. Usually the files contains both Start and Finish time. but for Few records, it contains only Start. For those records I need to add the finish line by adding 5 minutes to Start time. Started BBIDX Tue Jun 1 15:15:11 EDT 2010 292308... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with date arithmetic please

Hello fellow forum members, I wrote below piece of code to calculate the date after a given date - date=$DATE_FINAL declare -a max_month=(0 31 28 31 30 31 30 31 31 30 31 30 31) eval $(echo $date|sed 's!\(....\)\(..\)\(..\)!year=\1;month=\2;day=\3!') (( year4=year%4 )) (( year100=year%100... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic with bash

I need to divide the number of white spaces by total number of characters in a file using bash. I am able to get the number of white spaces correctly using: tr -cd < afile | wc -c I am also able to get the total number of characters using: wc -c afile How do I divide the first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngabrani
2 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)