Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ioscan
Operating Systems HP-UX ioscan Post 11015 by Perderabo on Tuesday 27th of November 2001 10:33:23 AM
Old 11-27-2001
The -k lists everything in the kernel's internal data structures. The -u lists usable entries.

Yes, when you limit things to disks, they are the same. But compare "ioscan -ufn" and "ioscan -kfn". With the -k, you will see entries for cpu and memory. There are no drivers for cpus and memory (/dev/mem is a psuedo driver). We also have some UNCLAIMED entries on our -k listing since we have some hardware connected that doesn't have a driver. Until a driver claims them, those devices are also unusable.

So the -u and -k are indeed different. But "-kC disk" and "-uC disk" are indeed redundant. By the time the kernel knows an entry is a disk, it must also be usable. "Usable" in this context means the kernel can attempt an open on the device, not that the device is working properly.

I'm not absolutely certain that it is impossible to create an unusable disk entry in the kernel, but there is no documented way to do so. But if /etc/ioconfig is badly garbled, maybe ioinit could do it at boot time. Also ioscan, insf, rmsf,...etc all work by opening /dev/config and sending undocumented ioclt's to it. I'm not sure how much checking is done so maybe a program could open /dev/config and fiddle with it.
This User Gave Thanks to Perderabo For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ioscan

Hi, I am looking for a similar 'ioscan' command in solaris 2.7. Is there any ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest100
5 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

IOSCAN Command

I need to know what is the differance between ioscan comand and search command ,in addition I search in your site for more details on ioscan command but I found nothing. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kaswara
1 Replies

3. Solaris

SUN Solaris "ioscan"

Hi, What is the equivelent command for ioscan from HP in SUN, i.e I need to display all hardware devies with path/driver/stats etc. regards, Ahmed (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ahmad
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

Question about UNIX ioscan command

Hello there. I have a question regarding the ioscan commnad. When you execute the line ioscan -fnC processor it outputs a list of all processors in the machine. Does this list displays only physical CPUs or does it displays each core? For example, if i have a server with 1 Dual Core... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spilson
10 Replies

5. HP-UX

ioscan on HP-UX 9.1

I am trying to work out the logical device name on a HP 9000 system running HP-UX 9.1. I see that ioscan-fnC disk looks like the command on later versions of HP-UX unfortunately it seems the n option is not available on 9.1. The output from ioscan -fC disk is:- Class H/W Path Driver H/W... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcqv
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris equivalent of the ioscan command

What is the Solaris equivalent of the HP-UX "ioscan -funC" command which lists all hardware on the system? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: etc
5 Replies

7. Solaris

How to solve "ioscan -En" hardware errors

Hi, I found devices errors in #ioscan -En. it is showing that soft errors = 0 and hard errors= 5. what should i do for hard errors=0. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjunreddy3
4 Replies

8. HP-UX

ioscan command

Hi all ! I'm a newbie in HP-Unix . In HP-Unix ,'ioscan' command is used to scan I/O system but I don't know what the 'ioscan' command is in Linux/Unix ? I cannot find it in Linux/Unix OS . Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nemoflich
2 Replies

9. Solaris

ioscan -En how to exclude tapes?

i would like to list all disks, but this command with these options list tapes too. i donīt find out an option which list only the class like ioscan in hp-ux. could anybody help me? thanks a lot. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
2 Replies
ramdisk(7D)							      Devices							       ramdisk(7D)

NAME
ramdisk - RAM disk device driver SYNOPSIS
ramdisk@0:diskname DESCRIPTION
The ramdisk driver supports numerous ramdisk devices that are created by the system during the boot process (see boot(1M)) or during nor- mal system operation (see ramdiskadm(1M) for more information). DEVICE SPECIAL FILES
Each ramdisk can be accessed either as a block device or as a raw device. When accessed as a block device, the normal buffering mechanism is used when reading from and writing to the device, without regard to physical disk records. Accessing the ramdisk as a raw device enables direct transmission between the disk and the read or write buffer. A single read or write call usually results in a single I/O operation, meaning that raw I/O is more efficient when many bytes are transmitted. You can find block files names in /dev/ramdisk. Raw file names are found in /dev/rramdisk. There are no alignment or length restrictions on I/O requests to either block or character devices. ERRORS
EFAULT The argument features a bad address. EINVAL Invalid argument. EIO. An I/O error occurred. EPERM Cannot create or delete a ramdisk without write permission on /dev/ramdiskctl. ENOTTY The device does not support the requested ioctl function. ENXIO The device did not exist during opening. EBUSY Cannot exclusively open /dev/ramdiskctl. One or more ramdisks are still open. EEXIST A ramdisk with the indicated name already exists. EAGAIN Cannot allocate resource for ramdisk. Try again later. FILES
/dev/ramdisk/diskname Block device for ramdisk named diskname. /dev/rramdisk/diskname Raw device for ramdisk name diskname /kernel/drv/ramdisk 32-bit driver /kernel/drv/ramdisk.conf Driver configuration file. (Do not alter). /kernel/drv/sparcv9/ramdisk 64-bit driver ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attribute: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ramdiskadm(1M), fsck(1M), fstyp(1M), mount(1M), newfs(1M), driver.conf(4), filesystem(5), dkio(7I) NOTES
The percentage of available physical memory that can be allocated to ramdisks is constrained by the variable rd_percent_physmem. You can tune the rd_percent_physmem variable in /etc/system. By default, the percentage of available physical memory that can be allocated to ramdisks is fixed at 25%. A ramdisk may not be the best possible use of system memory. Accordingly, use ramdisks only when absolutely necessary. SunOS 5.10 04 Mar 2003 ramdisk(7D)