Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: reading from input
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting reading from input Post 11007 by nageshrc on Tuesday 27th of November 2001 08:12:11 AM
Old 11-27-2001
reading from input

Hi guys ,

As you know normally ' read ' statement waits
for the user to press enter and then terminates
the input .............
Can anyone of u tell me how do i read a
single character from input without waiting
for the user to press enter ................

Thanks,
Nagesh.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading Input in a Script

#!/usr/bin/sh echo "Enter reason:" echo "> \c" read $reason $reason >> access.log This doesnt work for me. Can someone tell me how I would read the input from what the person types, and then append that to the log file? Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alwayslearningunix
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading input from user

how do we read input from a user e.g i want to ask a user to enter 6 sets of numbers how do i control information from the user? i have this....... #!/bin/bash echo "Please enter six numbers" read number echo $number >> file1 but this stops after the first number..how can i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadharah
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading input from a file

I am trying to read input for a C program (that expects input from the user) from a file using the shell command: progname < filename but it seems that the program considers the char '<' as the first input, hence causing an "error" in my program. I checked it with another program and it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadbar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from 1 input files and appending it to another input file

Hi guys, I am new to AWK and unix scripting. Please see below my problem and let me know if anyone you can help. I have 2 input files (example given below) Input file 2 is a standard file (it will not change) and we have to get the name (second column after comma) from it and append it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sksahu
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading input files

Okay, so I've looked on here and found some similar things, but not exactly what I am looking for. I am working on creating a script that can back up some files, based on the contents of another file - the configuration file. First file contains the files to back up - we'll call this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pdxwarrior
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from input with sed

I am trying to edit a file in shell script using sed. I need to get the input from command line suppose script.sh sed"/s place=/place=california/g" > /root/user/mark.txt echo " place changed " the above code searches for string place in the file mark.txt and replaces with place=... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriki32
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading Standard Input

Hello, I am new to scripting. How do I read multiple lines from the command line? I know read reads one line, but if I have to read multiple lines, how should I do? Thanks, Prasanna (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from standard input

So, I am new to shell scripting and have a few problems. I know how to read from standard input but I do not know how to really compare it to say, a character. I am trying to compare it to a character and anything exceeding just a character, the user will get an output message, but the program... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bungkai
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading CLI input for script

I've always written scripts where the user executes the script and I prompt them for what they want to do. But I'm trying to write a script where root executes the script 'lock' or its hard-link 'unlock' and the script will passwd -l or passwd -u an account depending on the choice. What would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ADay2Long
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in reading the input value

echo "Enter the Value : " read value sed '1s:\(.\{6\}\)\(.\{4\}\):\1'$value':' flextran$RUN_DATE-completed.txt > temp.txt mv temp.txt flextran$RUN_DATE-completed.txt on the run time after entering the input value it waits for keystroke and the values is not input to the function The output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rammm
4 Replies
CAT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CAT(1)

NAME
cat, read, nobs - catenate files SYNOPSIS
cat [ file ... ] read [ -m ] [ -n nline ] [ file ... ] nobs [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Cat reads each file in sequence and writes it on the standard output. Thus cat file prints a file and cat file1 file2 >file3 concatenates the first two files and places the result on the third. If no file is given, cat reads from the standard input. Output is buffered in blocks matching the input. Read copies to standard output exactly one line from the named file, default standard input. It is useful in interactive rc(1) scripts. The -m flag causes it to continue reading and writing multiple lines until end of file; -n causes it to read no more than nline lines. Read always executes a single write for each line of input, which can be helpful when preparing input to programs that expect line-at-a- time data. It never reads any more data from the input than it prints to the output. Nobs copies the named files to standard output except that it removes all backspace characters and the characters that precede them. It is useful to use as $PAGER with the Unix version of man(1) when run inside a win (see acme(1)) window. SOURCE
/src/cmd/cat.c /src/cmd/read.c /bin/nobs SEE ALSO
cp(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Read exits with status eof on end of file or, in the -n case, if it doesn't read nlines lines. BUGS
Beware of and which destroy input files before reading them. CAT(1)